Q552?

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by Pianomanos, Jul 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tabletdummy

tabletdummy Scribbler - Standard Member

When writing/drawing with the N-trig pen, is the writing hand allowed to rest on the screen? Or does the writing hand need to hover above the screen? In other words is there a good "palm rejection" feature when using the pen in multi-touch mode? Thanks!

2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Anemic power on the N2600 Atom, driver limitations of the GMA 3600 GPU and 2GB RAM limitation are clearly the weak spots of this tablet. Could not agree more. I use mine on "performance" setting /w full brightness while doing most field work as well and get similar battery time. With a spare 4 cell I have no problem computing all day.

Your confirmation of outdoor view-ability is a compliment to the Q552 indeed, considering the source.;)

Since I found "Auto" function in the N-Trig console, I never looked back.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
  3. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

Try turning Aero off and see if it helps the performance. It did on my Q550 taking it from slow and sluggish to acceptable. Maybe it will take the Q552 from adequate to something better!

4. Bronsky

He's used to far more powerful devices. I have aero turned off and the N2600 is only "okay." Still, it's a helluva field tablet. I've already dropped it from 3-4' onto its corner and nada ... not a scratch. The Q552 is a keeper for an outside viewable device. I'm going to have mine do double duty as a chart plotter as soon as my 26' Telstar Trimaran gets to water (rewiring electric panel now).

IMG01634-20130623-1411_zpsbbc5df46.jpg

At least it's close to water.:rolleyes:

Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
  5. tabletdummy

tabletdummy Scribbler - Standard Member

Is the N-trig console something separate that needs to be downloaded and installed?

6. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

My understanding is that the console is available in the Control Panel in Win7 but that there is no N-trig UI currently available in Win 8. Sometimes, I feel like Win8 is still running in beta, and I'm waiting for everyone to release the real deal still.

7. Steve B

I've actually had most Aero stuff off for while, but I went back in and turned off a few more things. Now I've pretty much just got fonts that are rounded and composition for windows turned on. Windows no longer display info when being moved, and transparency and aero peek are off, etc. This all helps, but the real lag is in things like using the TIP and pinch to zoom, etc. That sort of stuff.

Pinch to zoom just isn't particularly smooth, and its just sad that my phone is better at it than my full windows tablet. With the TIP, I often have this strange delay when opening it. I basically start inking, but its like the input just doesn't get recorded for a few moments. I'll actually "lose" input. It's not just lag, but that the CPU is booting activities up, and is just not capable of receiving pen input for a couple of seconds sometimes. There's also lag, yes, but that's sort of expected, as I understand the computer is converting to text while simultaneously receiving pen input.

Mostly, it's stuff like that. My normal computer is my x200t. Sure, it's faster, but its not THAT powerful. I mean, we're talking about a 4 year old, 17w, core2duo. However, perhaps the difference is just enough to really be noticeable. That, and the SSD being faster.

Still, while actively in Onenote, for example, things are pretty responsive, and inking is fine-- probably because its not having to convert to text.

There will come a day when the joy of a fanless Atom processor with 10 hours of battery life will be married to a real SATA SSD and 4 gb of ram, but we're not there yet. As is, Bronskys description of the q552 as a pretty good field device (even an excellent one, given the 300-400$ price) is dead on- its only a secondary device to me for now, for certain applications, but it does those quite well. When the CPU/ ram gets upgraded, then we'll talk more. ;)

Last edited: Jul 11, 2013
  8. Steve B

Pardon me while I converse with myself..... ;) I had a couple of questions.

Does anyone know if there's a button or something I can program for starting up the Task Manager? I got used to this on my le1600, and miss it on this device. It would be useful for closing something that's crashed.

Also, MS Security Essentials just updated, and wanted to know if I wanted a firewall up. I don't remember it asking me this before when I've installed it. Does anyone have any input on this? I feel like recently read that having the firewall up is really overkill and makes your computer much slower. As I'm attempting to speed things up, it seems a question worth asking.

Finally, I booted up the Task Manager, and found that although the cpu usage was floating around 2-5%, ram usage was over 50%, at something like 1.2 gb and 76 processes! This seemed rather high, as I remember my 1600 bottoming out around 500-600 mb. I've begun to wonder if a bit of the sluggishness I was complaining about was because of this....? I just went through Black Vipers cleanup process, rebooted, stopped some startup stuff, and I'm down to 61 processes, but the truth is I'm still bottoming out at 957 mb without deliberately running any programs. How are your q550/552's running? Is this just from it having only 2gb? Or is a lot running on my computer?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2013
  9. Steve B

Did run into a few bummers the last few days, mostly related to art.

I tried to install Sketchbook Pro 6, which just doesn't seem to want to work right. The screen is full of "jaggies" when I load it. The menus display fine, but I can't do any input, and the canvas area sort of looks like an old TV gone sideways. I thought it might be my CD, so I downloaded the trial version, and it was also a no go. Not quite sure what the problem is, but it would be very nice to have this work on small tablet like this, as it's so tablet-friendly. Has anyone else installed SBP 6, or tried the free trial version? I'm trying to figure out if it's something with Ntrig, the q552, or my driver setup specifically....

The second bummer is that I'm using Manga Studio 5, which I like, but multi-touch doesn't seem to be working on it. What's odd is that I've read it's capable. From the conversations I read, it's either that I'm using Win7, or it might once again be the q552. I'm going to investigate with some other users who have multi-touch screens to assess. The program runs fine on the device, though the UI is relatively small, but it would be nice to have these features function. Oh, and I have had pressure sensitivity drop out on it a few times. Usually, I switch to another tool (eraser) then back, and all is well again, but I'm not quite sure why it's happening...

So far, Artrage has been the smoothest experience, with multitouch working, etc. right out of the box. For sketching, it's very nice. But Artrage runs a little heavy and slowly, even on my x200t, and you can't run brushes or canveses that are very large on a device as underpowered as the q552. Alternatively, Manga Studio 5 is very light and responsive, and thus why I'd like to see multi-touch working. I think it could be my go-to sketching tool on the q552 if I can get it working right.

Anyways, I know not many people are using this device for sketching, but with the programs, it does nicely. Manga Studio 5, in particular, has a really nice brush engine that is very smooth and responsive, even with the Ntrig.... as long as it works! :p

10. Bronsky

I keep the firewall up. No idea why.:rolleyes:

My average CPU use is closer to 10% and RAM use in the 30% range. I can easily stress the RAM use up over 50% but it doesn't go there normally. I'm using a balanced power profile. When everything's plugged in, I sometimes change to the Fuji power profile. Next time I do, I'll check RAM usage.

I do no artwork on my tablet (or anywhere for that matter ... unless you call stickman drawings art) so you're more recent post is really lost on me.

My little Fuji keeps soldering on, even though I've started to look beyond it to a Surface 2, as soon as they become available. I think, however, that I won't be sitting on my Deck with a Surface 2 like I am ATM, working on a couple of legal documents that I had not finished up on Friday and, which I don't want to have to face tomorrow morning (3RD Circuit US Court of Appeals decision is due tomorrow. I'm preparing to be drinking champagne or just to be drinking, depending on how it goes).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.