Q552?

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by Pianomanos, Jul 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

LOL!!!!! Joe, you are a funny man.....

I'm not sure if its something to cry about or dance over.... ;) I wonder what my wife would say..... !!! LOL. :D

2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Yes ... I use gestures to maximize and minimize. The pen loop looks great. I keep the keyboard folio in my briefcase so I keep the pen in the case loop.

We all experimented with different browsers when we had Slate 500s. IE seemed to work best with W7. I'm using 10.

Sounds like you're adapting to the device. I've not had the same issues with the SP scratching. I have the original still in place. I agree that it does degrade the image but the glare reduction from the stock matt lens (which is not too bad) is worth it. Stay away from Best Buys Zogg SP. I had one on my Surface and did not like it.

I've been quite pleased with my Fuji. Dropped it from 3-4' the other day onto a ceramic floor, hitting on its corner, and not a scratch.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
  3. tabletdummy

tabletdummy Scribbler - Standard Member

Is Q572 an updated version of Q552? In particular is it also fanless and using SSD?

4. Bronsky

I think it's an AMD Z-60 so I would not assume that it's fanless. It does use an SSD. Up to 256GB.

5. Steve B

It's an alternate device-- more a cousin running parallel to the q550/552, than "the next model".

edit-
    BTW, is there a way to easily access the cameras to take a pic if I need to? I can't seem to find an icon or "quick shoot" sort of thing in the Icon Tray.... Could be potentially useful. Who knows?

Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
  6. Bronsky

Finally had my Q552 out in the field for an entire day. It was truly at home. Started the day by finishing a brief I was working on over the weekend while I waited for the site investigators and drillers to arrive. As soon as the final edits were done, zipped the brief to my office for filing. Next, loaded a CAD rendering of the site we were investigating and uploaded a prior investigative report to use as the starting point for this Phase II investigation. When the engineers arrived, they did not bring any historical drawings of the site, so I went on-line and we were able to look at historic aerials dating back to the 1930s. We were able to locate old features of the property that helped locate and old abandoned underground oil tank. The engineers were duly impressed. All of the samples locations were photographed and labeled. The specific locations were also located on the CAD site drawing in PDF annotator.

While everyone broke for lunch, I checked with my office, who forwarded all of the emails I needed to look at. I retrieved an electronically filed letter to the Third Circuit Court of Appeals and prepared a draft reply (uploaded it at the end of the day).

With a 4 cell and one 4 Cell spare, I was able to keep the display at 100% brightness and had no problem using the tablet outside all day. It was particularly easy to read printed documents like a brief. The v3.5 N-Trig pen was perfect taking a full day of field notes, which have already been circulated to the property owner by email.

Oh, and we struck oil at 13 feet.:thumbsup:

IMG01698-20130708-1257.jpg

Attached Files:

7. Steve B

Bronsky, what are you using for internet access? Are you tethering to your phone? Or do you have a kind of insert for the q552? There's this slot at the left side in Landscape mode that I don't know what it's for. I'm interested in the ability to have internet access separate from my phone.

I'd also be curious to know how you're using it in the field. In the case? Or free and keyboard-less? Are you generally using the pen for input or fingers? I find the Win7 keyboard pretty bad for input. I've yet to find a nice OSK split screen keyboard for portrait mode, or a better one for landscape. Any advice on that?

8. Bronsky

I keep my folio in the car for typing. For instance, I was typing revisions to my brief in the morning. Most of the rest of the day, I was using the tablet on its own with the pen. I tend to only write with the pen, preferring to use my finger for navigation. I use the stock keyboard, enlarged.

Capture4.jpg

I also have the hot virtual keyboard, but I rarely use it on the Fuji. My Q552 is tethered to my BB 8530. Only 3G speed, but for the few times I use it on the road, it works fine.

As for the slot, do you mean the smart card reader? It needs a 3d party application compatible with a FIPS 201 Smart Card controller. it might be a way to add something like an air card.

9. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

Very similar to the way I used my Q550. I would save schematics and build diagrams in PDF, parts lists in Access, program information and test documents in OneNote, etc. While in the field I would have it all with me for fast access.Updates would go between the Q550 and my Dell laptop via the SD card (to all those that say it is outdated tech and needs to go away, I say bunk!).

I try to use my Q702 the same way but the battery life isn't up to it. Since the battery is not changeable I need to carry a power brick which is a pain. I am actually considering sliding back to a Q552 which would be faster than the Q550 but have longer battery life than the Q702. I've gotten used to the 128 GB SSD so I would need to look into switching that as well.

10. Steve B

Today, actually, I also went out into the field and tried using the q552 onsite. I have to admit, I'm awfully surprised at how well it did. Here's my sort-of-review.

I've always done my fine pruning estimates with carbon copy duplicates, but couldn't find them today. Necessity is the mother of invention, so I decided to finally try out the idea I've long wanted to do, but was unable to accomplish with the Motion le1600/1700 (too heavy, not bright enough, not enough battery life) nor the x200t (too heavy and thick)-- namely, use an in-the-hand computing device to do input in the field, send the estimate to the client, store the estimate on my device, and have it all collated there with my calendar. It didn't go perfectly smooth, but it was a beginning, and not a bad one at that.

I'd eventually like to try using this device on site for accessing plans and docs I've made (which I've had to do on my phone before, or while lugging around the x200t), as well as potentially taking preliminary photos to use for mockups, or perhaps using Sketchup with the pen to make basic layouts. We'll have to see, but I'd like to try integrating it more into my mobile workflow.

Cpu and Outdoor Screen-
    I personally find the q552 adequate at best in terms of cpu power, but only when on High Performance. I would say it's a little less responsive on High Performance than my x200t is on Power Saver. Of course, I only get 4 hours battery life on the q552 when I use it like that, because I also keep it at 100% brightness. Still, if not "peppy", it atleast got the job done, and the screen was more than adequate. Very bright, and quite readable. Lots of cloudy glare under full direct sun, but even angled just a little, it did very well. It helps when working in something like OneNote, as it's black ink against a white background, and things really pop. Still, I never had any issues working outdoors with it in this regard, and I wasn't trying to baby it at all. Pretty impressive, all in all.

Portrait Mode Inking-

I like to put OneNote on Full Screen mode when writing, and as the Ntrig is quite accurate on the edges, I was easily able to write right up to the full width of the 16:10 screen while in portrait mode (my preferred orientation). This was quite nice, as a) it felt wide enough for note-taking in portrait mode, and b) Portait is also the orientation that's most ergonomic to hold and distribute its weight with. So, I give it a thumbs up in that regard-- weight distribution and appropriate edge-of-screen pen accuracy make the q552 a good in-the-hand Portrait-mode inking device.

Weight Distribution-
    On that note, I've gotten used to the 1.9 lbs, which is what it weighs with the 4-cell battery, but it really only works for writing if I hold it in Portrait mode while standing, IMO. I find Landscape awkward while working mobile, on my feet, though I like it at a desk or table, as Windows seems designed to work optimally in that orientation. Either way, I'll definitely be taking auto-rotate off when I'm out and abut, as that was slowing things down considerably each time I raised the device to write on it.

Using the G4 pen-
    Inking with the TaiChi G4 pen is reasonably nice, and the little makeshift pen holder I've cut and pasted onto the back works well enough for me. It's also nice having the second button, even if it is just an Eraser, as this speeds things up immensely with OneNote, as well as sketching. To me, I'm only interested in work devices that function the way i want them to-- I'm totally uninterested in saving 50 bucks if a better pen is going to help things along, even a little. So, for me, the pen has been worth it.

Ntrig versus Wacom-
    Do I wish it was a little quieter and that it required less initial pressure to activate? Yes. Do I wish I could customize what the pen buttons did? Even more. But it's a reasonable pen, and for inking it does perfectly fine, IMO. Is it as buttery smooth as Wacom? No. Does it start inking with very light pressure, allow me to Hover-Click, or customize my buttons? No. But on a small screen like this one (10.1" 16:10) edge accuracy is probably more important to me then all of those other things, particularly for an primarily-inking device. For an art device on an 11.6"- 13.3" screen I'd go Wacom all the way, but for something that's meant to function like this small device does, Ntrig has its comparative benefits. Also, as a side benefit, I've had absolutely no problems with the driver screwing up, which has been a regular pita with my Wacom devices.

Multi-touch-
    I find this a pleasantly beneficial and functional surprise, and despite the occasional errant line, etc. I've been running the q552 in Dual Mode, and I like it. In OneNote, in particular, it's nice to pan and zoom and then immediately ink. I also really like navigating the OS by touch once I tweaked the living daylights out of Win7's UI for bigger boxes and borders, and find IE 10 pretty nice for multitouch use. I bet with a better cpu, it would be quite a nice experience.

Overall-
    All in all, a pretty good experience. I'm surprised I feel this way, because honestly I find it a bit sluggish. And yet, it does what it needs to do for me, for work, in the field, in bright sun, with an accurate pen, on a thin, business-rugged, light-weight device with relatively good battery life. I long have wanted something that was thinner, lighter, faster, and brighter than my le1600, while still being semi-rugged. That's a hard combo to find, and has kept me away from pretty much all the new slates that have come out, as I'd be terrified of using or dropping them outside. But here, at a very reasonable price (about 425$ with all the accoutrements added in for the G4 pen, screen protectors, etc), we have a device that accomplishes that. None of it's really dramatically different (except the screen, which is spectacularly better), but it's all just better enough to make the difference and put the device into that "real outdoor useability" category, IMO--

q552 versus Motion le1600
    thickness- 64" versus. .75-.87"
    weight- 1.91 lbs versus 3.3 lbs
    cpu- definitely better, yes, but not amazingly better, IMO
    battery life- 4 hrs versus 2-3 hours
    screen- 400 nit AG versus 160 nit-- amazingly better

I look forward to a detachable, hybrid, BayTrail version of this device running Win8. I think it could then finally be good enough to replace my x200t, hypothetically. I'm still on the hunt for a business rugged detachable hybrid, but no one has made one yet. Here's looking at you Panasonic!

So, in summary-

Good- business rugged build, but not too heavy or thick (IMO), very nice bright screen with excellent viewing angles, quite nice in portrait mode with it's 16:10 ratio and Ntrig edge-of-screen pen accuracy, pretty good battery life all in all at 4-6 hours, replaceable batteries, stays pretty quiet and cool, full Windows

Bad- honestly relatively sluggish cpu, adequate at best for browsing with IE 10 (my iphone 5 is clearly faster), max 2gb ram, no Hover-Click nor customizable pen buttons, no pen silo

Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.