Q552?

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by Pianomanos, Jul 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

I saw a video on YouTube where the guy mentioned an optional battery that provides 10 hours of juice. Is that true? My guess is the guy misunderstood something.

2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

There is a 2 cell and 4 cell battery. The refurbished units all come with the 4 cell. All of the replacement batteries I've seen are 4 cell too.I get an easy 5 hours out of the 4 cell with tether, wifi and bt running and the IPS display between 80 and 100% brightness. So, with both batteries I get 10 total. With all radios off and the display at 20% I'm sure the battery will last longer. 10 hours ... I think not. Maybe the Q550.

Steve, the v3.5 still has the clacky tip. it's my last complaint about N-Trig. I've not seen the v4 in person but it would be nice to write without the noise.

3. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

V4 reduces the clickety-clack about 50% over V3.5. Still not Wacom levels but the closest yet.

4. Bronsky

5. tabletdummy

tabletdummy Scribbler - Standard Member

Is the hard disk in the Q552 SSD or regular hard disk?

6. Bronsky

Solid State Drive. Fairly fast too. WEI of 7.6.

7. Bronsky

8. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Well, I've been waiting for weeks, and I just picked one up on ebay. So, it ought to be here early this week. I also just bought an Asus Tai Chi 2-button ntrig pen, so we'll see how that works on this. Going to get the little "loopy slide-the-pen-in thing" that can attach to the side/back of it, and go from there.

Bronsky, where did you get your SP, and how much did it cost? Did it provide anything special for the price? I somehow remember it being a bit expensive. Trying to decide if I should get one or not. I might wait until I get the slate, and go from there. See how the texture of the basic surface is to write on, how the pen feels, how I think it deals with reflections, etc. I've had issues with SP's in the field before, because of how they begin to peel up because of grit and dust, etc. I don't treat my computers lightly when at work. So, I'm not necessarily interested in an expensive 50$ SP if it's not going to "stay". Thus, the price question. .....

Anyways, I'm excited about getting a rugged, cheap, penabled, 16:10 Win7 device. Great battery life, bright matte screen, swappable batteries, thin and light by my standards. Should be very very useful as a secondary device. Oddly, this is the first touch enabled computer I've had, so that should be fun and functional in and of itself. All my others have always been pen-only.

Will report back as things progress! :)

Last edited: Jun 16, 2013
  9. Bronsky

You're probably remembering the Surface's SP. I bought the factory SP for the Q552, which comes with 2 SPs. No problem at all with SP lifting.

Congratulations. I'm quite happy with the unit. It's let me sit tight while Haswell is rolled out.

10. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Ok. Gotcha.

Well, I picked up a 2pack of the AG SP's from the Fujitsu store, so we'll see how it goes. I didn't know what they wanted when they said the "operator id" in the shipping section, so I just put my name in the field.... so we'll see how that goes! Hahaha!

Sightly OT, but related to the new device--

Besides that, the primary reason I'm using this device is to work with One Note and Outlook in the field, as well as reference device for plans and notes in meetings, etc. (The secondary one is for art, so I'll be reporting back on reprogramming pen buttons and using Artdock, for those interested). So, I was going to pick up a copy of Office 2010. Does anyone see any reason why I should get 2013? It doesn't seem any fancier IMO. I'm not planning on using Win8, as I'm still interested in trying out and using touch flicks etc, for now. The only thing that looked interesting to me is the Radial Menu, but that's only in the RT app for OneNote, right? Not the main one. I don't see any major functionality I'd be missing, as I don't use Powerpoint or Excel, etc.

The other intention I have is to maybe get a Windows Phone, and sync my OneNote notebooks and Outlook stuff with it. The research I've done points to really needing a Windows phone if I want to be able to do stuff like add info to existing notes while in the field, sync new voice notes to existing notes, view ink in the app, etc. It seems like the iPhone and Android apps don't allow this sort of functionality. My concern is that I'll need Office 2013 or Office 365 to sync to the phone. Does anyone know about this? Or should I just post this question in the Window 8 forum?

edit-
    BTW, I have a copy of Office Professional Pro 2010, and it's Student Media. It seems to me that I can install this on more than one computer. I think I read that you need to actually uninstall the trial Office software first though. Does anyone have any experience with this as well? Just checkin'.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.