Q552?

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by Pianomanos, Jul 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pianomanos

Pianomanos Scribbler - Standard Member

This seems to be on sale already, but I haven't heard anything about it...

http://www.shopfujitsu.com/store/stylistic-q552-slate-pc

If ivybridge-based 10" Windows 8 tabs are going to cost around $1000, then I can't see any reason at all for this thing at $850. On the other hand, I think my Q550 is a great machine, except for the hopelessly slow processor and graphics, and its apparent incompatibility with Windows 8. If the Q552 fixes both of those problems, it could be a very compelling machine at some price point.

Anyone know anything more about it?

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  2. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

No silo for the Stylus. Fail.

3. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

It has the N2600 dual core atom. I read about it the other day and am surprised to see it on sale already.

4. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

It's now using Cedar Trail Atom. You get dual core but same TDP. Also, the PowerVR SGX is now clocked much higher.

Not gonna see performance gains unless apps take advantage of SMP. I think Q552 will have real justification issues when Windows 8 slates with Ultrabook innards starts selling for around $1000. When Surface Pro comes out in January, this thing will have no justification for being unless @ $500 or less.

5. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

As much as I like the size, etc., of the fanless slate, I think my next slate will be more like the Surface or the S7H. I have to agree that, for atoms to survive, they have to keep the price down.

6. e-schreiber

At this point in the game, a tablet with a Cedar Trail Atom is a bit too late. I mean, kudos to Fujitsu for making the device meet military specifications, that's a nice feature! But they should have released this sucker in the Spring to give it a chance of being somewhat enticing. There will be lots of Clover Trail Atoms hitting the shelves in the Holidays and they are "promised" to offer even better CPU and GPU (hopefully some of those tablets will have a frigging Pen silo too!).

I wonder if, in order to make things less pointless, Fujitsu employed N-trig's latest fresh-out-of-the-oven digitizer tech in it. If they didn't, this Q552 is even more irrelevant today.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  7. Tourniquet

Tourniquet Scribbler - Standard Member

The Q550 already met military specifications.

This version seems to be a bit pointless. I think this is the reason why it won't be released in Europe. On the other hand if there will be good drivers for the GMA 3600, it could be a 'good' device. But i still wouldn't but it.

I also think its no coincidence that Imagination Technologies just released the Series.6 (G6200, G6230, G6400 and G6430) which support 'latest graphics API such as DirectX 11.1 and OpenGL ES APIs GPU accelerated computing: OpenCL, renderScript Compute, Direct Compute, and soon Heterogeneous System Architecture (HSA)'

Source: technewspedia.com

Maybe that's why Intel didn't said a whole lot about the Z2760, because they couldn't speak about it until now. It would make sense and would explain why these new tablet get a much better performance than the old ones.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  8. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

Yup, it has two things going for it as a 'right now' purchase:

- N2600 CPU with the new Intel GPU; gets you a video system that will run Linux and Win 8.
    - 10.1" 16:10 screen.

If and when my Q550 gets damaged or unusable for some reason, this would be the one for me. After a year now with my Q550 as my 'everyday' machine I am very happy with it. There are no wear or tear marks anywhere except for the power button recessing in a bit. Is it slow? Slower than my i5 T731, slower than the T580, and slower than anything in a desktop config...but I don't carry any of those with me. If Fujitsu or anyone else packaged an i3 or an i5 in this size unit with a Wacom digitizer it would be perfect...but they don't. Everything new coming out is 16:9 which is great for entertainment and not so good for business so I am sticking with 16:10.

I just wish they had included a 128, 160, or 256 GB SSD with it...

9. Rommie2k6

Rommie2k6 Scribbler - Standard Member

It's a Cedar Trail, not a Clover Trail. The CPU is a piece of junk. The GPU is a piece of junk. It's going to be slow like crap.

The Cedar Trail CPU is slightly slower than a Core 2 ULV (like the one on my Fujitsu T2010) and from personally experience Core 2 ULV is just too slow. The GPU may be "fast enough", which is as good as the GPU in your phones these days! Clover Trail GPU supposedly may be on par with the first generation of Intel HD graphics and equivalent to that of the iPad 3.

Q552 was a no go from the moment is was launched...

10. e-schreiber

Sure that CPU-GPU can't compete on horse-power against a C2D, but they offer some decent trade-offs like better battery-life and quiet. I think a Q552 with Cedar Trail would have been a decent deal last Xmas (a merely OK deal by Easter). However, releasing this thing in late July...

• only 3 months away from a wave/crest of new devices
    • a few of them with detachable keyboards
    • with Clover Trail CPUs inside
    • Win8 (an advantage to many people)
    • "possibly" Ntrig-G4 digitizers

...is just silly. Especially at that price.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.