Q550 - Windows 8

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by MixBlog, Mar 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

I just booted into Win8 again to try and fix the quirks. I managed to add the Start menu using the "Add Toolbar" trick. Very trivial and works fine. I found another app like the one you recommended. It seems that the Start menu is in high demand.
    Start Menu, Windows 7 Start Menu

The flicking gesture that opens the TIP (shaking the pen left-right a few times) also doesn't work. Lame. But I think I can find the Registry setting that enables that.

The TIP still adds a space before the first word you handwrite. Congratulations Microsoft for breaking something that only worked right on WinXP.

Following a suggestion by another board member, I was able to turn the TIP's keyboard into a "full keyboard". The setting is only available from inside the "Settings" screen on Metro. But there's still no solution for that 2-line handwrite TIP. Lame! And I haven't found any dialog to personalize the Handwriting Recognition. Or a way to add a Delete key to the Handwriting TIP.

I think that Microsoft has dumbed down the Tablet PC too much. The Desktop mode has so many limitations for Touch-Pen users, that it turns simple tasks into an Odyssey. And because I'm not a smartphone user, I see the whole Metro paradigm as an over-simplification. To my mind, Microsoft has killed the Tablet PC and has given birth to a flashy toy. Anyone who believes that Win8 will be adopted by businesses needs to rethink that. Businesses will rush to buy Win7 before it gets discontinued.... I would!

2. Neokz

Neokz Pen Pal - Newbie

desktop -> settings (slide from right side in) -> control panel -> time, language and region -> language -> options -> scroll down

and there you are ;o)

3. andrewb

andrewb Pen Pal - Newbie

Update from Meinolf - see
    Face2Fujitsu Blog Life with the STYLISTIC Q550 slate PC ? the wrap-up.
    :)

Hi Andrew,

great, and good to know:). I was at the MWC in Barcelona last week, we launched our first Android tablet there. So I didn’t have time to look at the consumer preview yet.

I popped your question n-trig some minutes ago and already received an answer (thanks, Abi).

The drivers will be available on then-trig site in 2 weeks.

best Regards, Meinolf

4. MixBlog

MixBlog FujitsuFans.com

And as I already wrote:

:)

5. EPM

EPM Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks everyone for posting your success stories.

I have a Q550 original 60G model (wi-fi). I installed the Dev Preview as soon as It came out and followed several of the comments on this site to get it almost 100% functional. I have used it flawlessly since then. I also loaded Office 2010 pro, sharepoint designer 2010, VLC, Primo PDF writer and the Kindle app. All worked perfectly.

I upgraded to the Consumers Preview over the weekend and for the most part it is working pretty well. It is most definately faster overall. The response is amazing.

I only loaded the Fujitsu utils and bluetooth modules. I downloaded the Intel video driver (8.14.6.3072) directly from their site and it works pretty well. I am having an issue with my bluethoth mouse in that it is recognized and added to devices but doesn't work. It shows as offline. It was the same with the Microsoft drivers out of the box and with the Fujitsu drivers installed. Any suggestions?

I don't have the n-trig drivers loaded because I decided to wait for the official drivers to be released at the end of this month. So no multi-touch yet.

Handwriting recognition is perfect and the keyboard layout and size and responsiveness is also perfect.

I don't need the buttons right now and I don't really care about the autorotate for the screen. Sometimes that function is annoying anyway. I also don't miss the start button and really don't see what all of the fuss is about.

Thanks for being a great source of information :)

Ed

6. CO Dutchman

CO Dutchman Pen Pal - Newbie

Ed, Do you have any problem with video playback with that version of video driver?

7. BurntOrngeLonghorn84

BurntOrngeLonghorn84 Scribbler - Standard Member

Does the kindle app work after loading the CP preview? Other reviews in the app store show the kindle app not working on Q550s or CL900s like I have.

8. EPM

EPM Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi. No problems at all. I record a couple of TV shows on my desktop with Media Center and they are automatically converted to wmv files. I watch those on the train ride to and from work with no problems full screen. I also watch movies all the way up to Blue Ray rips and still haven't had any problems. The picture quality is just fine. It depends on your preferences. I don't expect a 10" screen to deliver Blue Ray quality that matches my living room plasma TV. That is just ridiculous and I am tired of hearing people complain that their tablet can't play 1080p movies. Who cares! The picture is more than perfect for on the go viewing. I didn't buy a tablet to complain about it, I bought it to use as a tool using the same Microsoft Office suite I use at work and on my desktop at home. I say if you want to watch movies in "hi-res" and play games, buy an Ipad and complain about it somewhere else.

Ed

9. EPM

EPM Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi. I loaded the Kindle app from Amazon directly and used it on the Dev Preview over the last few months without problems.

On the Consumers Preview I tried the Kindle Metro app but you need to be on-line for it to work. The Kindle download app works fine off-line.

Ed

10. 123Fels

123Fels Pen Pal - Newbie

Message: Dear n-trig team, I would like to kindly ask you to provide a 32bit Duosense Windows 8 Beta Driver for the Fujitsu Q550 for evaluation. I saw that Lenovo provides 64bit beta drivers for windows 8. Yours sincerely, xxx Date:3/3/2012

Dear xxx,
    Currently we do not support Windows8 consumer preview and are aware of this issue.
    We are working on a fix for that and during the next 3 weeks we should upload it to our website.
    Thanks
    N-trig Support Team
    Date:3/13/2012

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.