Q550 - Windows 8

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by MixBlog, Mar 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chromedome

Chromedome Pen Pal - Newbie

I have W8 running with full resolution and four-finger touch with the N-Trig driver (easy to download from N-Trig website). I have run W8 on the Q550 since first beta versions, and it has improved dramtically IMO since the early releases. I use the Q550 every day in my business and for consuming. Once you understand its limitations (which it has in W7 also) and excercise a little patience after the initial boot, I find it works fine and pretty fluid, although you will get the odd glitch/lag when the processor gets busy; but this is the nature of the device with W7 also. I run Office 2013; always inking in OneNote and quite a few legacy apps. I don't run games - although the W8 App "Robotek" is pretty good ;) - and I have disabled the Windows Search Service and the rear camera to cut down on processor time, plus any 'background' tasks I don't need.

Hope this helps

CD (UK)

2. ocb

ocb Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi,
    I dragged my Q550 out of the drawer and bought a Win8 license.Alas, no cheap upgrade - I bought it nearly a year ago.
    The install went fine, upgrading the W8 CP build I put on it around May. However, it's obvious that it needs a whole host of system applications/drivers etc.
    I can't, for instance, put it to sleep, or adjust screen brightness. It also has a very nasty habit of freezing if I leave it get near the "sleep" period - I have to do a hard power cycle.
    Does anyone have a recent list of drivers/system apps I should install?
    I did see a list a bit further back (maxhofer, 2nd Nov) in the thread, but I'm getting rather confused on what I should and shouldn't install....help please!!

3. Chromedome

Hi
    Best thing to do is download the latest drivers from the Q550 support page:
    http://support.ts.fujitsu.com/Downl...ID=46&intlevel2=77987&intFehlercode=0&NavIDs=
    From what I can remember I installed the following after W8 installed all the updates:

Device Driver
    Display Manager (Rstart)
    IntelDisplayDriver - Installs .NetFramework (Rstart)
    System Extension Utility (Rstart)
    Tablet Button Driver
    Tablet Button Utilities - Installs .NetFramework (Rstart) - Problem with Fstrig - Turn off UAC
    Auto-Rotation Utility

Plus you will need to download and install the latest nTrig driver from the nTrig site: Downloads & Drivers - N-trig

Hope this helps ;)

CD (UK)

4. ocb

ocb Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks CD! I'm fully booked with work + family until the weekend. I'll try all that and drop a reply.

Out of interest, how do you find things like boot time, resume from suspend,video playback etc?

5. Chromedome

Boot time is slow; didn't used to be on the early beta versions. It also hangs often on resume - I think the two are connected and probably just needs something tweaking/disabling to fix it as it is faster on re-boot, but haven't found the time to investigate it yet. If anyone else can help with this, that would be awesome

Never really use video playback so can't comment on this.

As mentioned in my previous posts, I think we have to accept the limitations of the processor - pretty crap really :( However, I use it almost everyday in business and only seldom get frustrated with it

CD (UK)

6. Chromedome

For what it's worth, I just installed the latest W8 upgrade. I then attended a convention over the weekend where I had to make copious notes in OneNote at the same time running a couple of legacy apps on the desktop for reference. Have to say that the whole day went really smoothly. Not a single glitch in Inking and the whole user-experience with the Q550 was good all day.
    Can still expect the same processor-lag while it sorts itself out initially, but after that it's pretty good
    Interesting also, is that it hasn't hung once on boot-up or resume from sleep, which is really strange - hope I haven't spoke too soon, but it's not looking too bad IMO

Hope this helps

CD (UK)

Update: 2nd day with lots of 'boots and resumes' and not a single 'hang' :)

Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  7. CO Dutchman

CO Dutchman Pen Pal - Newbie

CD, What do you mean by latest W8 upgrade? Do you mean updates?

8. Chromedome

Yes, sorry - it was the latest update :(

CD (UK)

9. ocb

ocb Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi CD,

I followed your recommendations, and apart from a little hiccup with the n-trig driver (needed to uninstall then reinstall then reboot) everything went fine.
    I have to say - I'm impressed! Thanks for recommendation, it's much appreciated.

One thing I did which helped immensely was to run the calibration application that was in with the n-trig installer (after reboot though).

Wow, the screen is so responsive in the "new UI". It's the smoothest action I've seen on a Windows device as yet...I'm now looking forward to doing the W8 move on my Asus EP12!

I didn't have much time to use it last night, but I did find OneNote a bit disappointing to "write" in the page - it was unusable due to lag. However the inking was my biggest eye opener. I couldn't ask for better. I did find the split keyboard an intriguing offering, but alas the "largest" is just a little bit too small. I guess it's more for "generation Thumb", who are used to typing in mobile phones etc.

What should I expect from battery life? On a full charge it says about 4.5h - is this normal?

10. ultra99

ultra99 Scribbler - Standard Member

thanks for your input. ive been switching btw 7 and 8. now been with 7 for the last month and thinking of trying win8 again after reading your post. my main point here is inking on onenote.
    what steps have you taken after a fresh clean install of win8?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.