Q550 - Windows 8

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by MixBlog, Mar 1, 2012.

1. MixBlog

MixBlog FujitsuFans.com

Hey guys,

let's start a discussion about Windows 8 on the Q550 based on the Customer Preview released yesterday.

I installed it and all the drivers from the Fujitsu webpage (DeskUpdate doesn't work with Windows 8 yet, gives me a download error) and the performance is very good! N-Trig driver has to be installed manually (navigate into the drivers folders and start DPInst.exe since the Installer didn't start up) and one driver shows an error after you booted into Win8 and opened the desktop.

Here is a picture: @Windows 8 running on the @Fujitsu_TS STYLISTIC Q550. Impress... on Twitpic

And here is a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gh1z-BTmYOU

So how about you? Any performance tricks, battery lifetime improving etc.?

2. dceggert

dceggert Moving 'up' from iPAQ Senior Member

I will not be loading it on mine. I put it on my old TC1100 last night and ran into a disappointment that the TIP input panel is gone. I guess I must be one of the few that still use it to input text...I am reading how much everyone just loves the touch keyboard....

3. 123Fels

123Fels Pen Pal - Newbie

@Mixblog
    does multitouch work? If it works, can you explain exactly what you did? (i was able to install the drivers clicking the DPInst.exe but that didn't improve pen and touch. Out of the box i had pen pressure sensitivity and single-touch working great.)

- graphics driver from intel page v3077 maybe better because fujitsu driver brings artifacts to internet explorer
    - battery utility works, when system extension utility is installed
    - tablet buttons utility brought error message after reboot and don't work
    - installing in right order (first chipset drivers) seems important
    - i suggest making restore points before installing every driver
    - camera image doesn't show (always black) but shoots pictures
    - html5 videos are black but audio works
    - theres an app in the store called sketchbook express but there the pen has lags. Autodesk Sketchbook pro (free for students) (native program) works perfect. Onenote perfect.

windows 8 is fast and responsive in most scenarios on Q550. Pleasure to use. (edit: after installing the graphic and the n-trig Driver, ist not good, no pleasure...)

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  4. MixBlog

MixBlog FujitsuFans.com

Nope, Multi-Touch isn't working for me either :(

Good to know, thanks!

Yep, faced that issue, too.

Here it's working. It shows camera image...

Video is still uploading. HD takes its time. :D

5. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I might try Win8CP, though because I also use the TIP a lot [more the handwriting recognition in character mode -it seems to fit less text per line, but it doesn't screw up, and doesn't have that awful auto correct 'feature' that the defuult free hand one does; talking about Win7], also because I only have pen based devices -save the pen & single point resistive IX325- there isn't much it offers over Win7... you're not alone! :)

6. MixBlog

MixBlog FujitsuFans.com

7. Neokz

Neokz Pen Pal - Newbie

8. MixBlog

MixBlog FujitsuFans.com

Hi,
    I have the 1.5GHz model with the 32gb SSD in it.

I turned off Aero and installed almost every package from the Fujitsu package. I also installed the Updates Windows offered me!

But that's all I did.

9. Neokz

Neokz Pen Pal - Newbie

ohh i see then it must be aero...

most annoying thing for me is that deskupdate doesn't work on windows 8 :(

do you experience the same ?

10. MixBlog

MixBlog FujitsuFans.com

Yep, DeskUpdate problem is very annoying.

The problem is simple: DeskUpdate tries to download software for Windows 8 which isn't recognized by the Fujitsu servers. I think it won't work before the final release of Win 8. :(

11. benpaulowens

benpaulowens Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi

The TIP for pen input (Handwriting recognition) can be enabled via the ENG button on the onscreen keyboard.

It's a bit of a hassle to toggle between and the option doesn't appear automatically when you place pen in a input range in IE which is stupid (IMO)

BPO

12. 123Fels

123Fels Pen Pal - Newbie

Ok, it seems that we only have three main problems left to be solved to make the Q550 a complete functional win8 device:

- no multitouch - win8 n-trig driver expected end of March'12

- issues with intel gma600 driver - no image in html5 video, more issues probably related to hardware acceleration (edit: enable softwarerendering instead gpu-rendering in advanced settings of internet explorer to make youtube/html5 videos work in metro IE)

- tablet buttons (Edit: fix: install/activate .net framework 3.5 first, then the driver and utility)

If any reader sees or tries drivers, please contribute - i hope we can do this!

by the way: battery life seems very good with win8CP.

13. MixBlog

MixBlog FujitsuFans.com

What I can do is report to Fujitsu which I already did with the first bugs you all found so far. :)

Keep on guys, with Win 8 the Q550 can be a really good tablet to work and have fun with.

What Fujitsu also should provide: the One Click solution which applies several performance tweaks to Windows. Since Win8 is already performing very well that can even be improved.

14. Tourniquet

Tourniquet Scribbler - Standard Member

I haven't installed the tool, but does auto rotate work?

@mixblog
    did you already do the update to v3077 ? if not you said the camera works for you with the old driver, how about html5 video? this doesnt seem to work with the newest driver. Also did you notice flickering in the browser with the old driver?

15. dceggert

dceggert Moving 'up' from iPAQ Senior Member

What exactly is the "ENG" button? Is that the one that allows you to change between the touch keyboard, thumb keyboard, and text input?

16. bheim

bheim Pen Pal - Newbie

You can download DeskUpdate, right click and go to settings. On compatibility tab choose Windows 7, now it works.

But i also don't have mulitouch. :(

17. 123Fels

123Fels Pen Pal - Newbie

ENG is displayed by the soft-keyboard/inputpanel. It changes the input-language to english (you can switch between languages directly in the soft-keyboard). i installed the german win8cp and i have handwriting-input for both german and english.

18. Neokz

Neokz Pen Pal - Newbie

yeah, i know i already tried this, then you can execute it, but deskupdate still doesn't download any drivers... so bottom line it's not working...

as MixBlog already said, i guess it won't work till windows 8 final hits the market :(

19. mrchiggles

mrchiggles Pen Pal - Newbie

Glad it's not just me struggling with those things - the video seems very odd, just get a black display but can hear the audio.

I've tried all the various n-trig driver tricks but not had any luck getting them installed, multitouch seems like the biggest "missing" thing in my book, n-trig have confirmed that they are going to support windows 8 - they just need to look to us for some beta testing!

20. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

HP Slate 500s are having the same issues with N-Trig Multitouch. At least we'll finally get a driver update out of them eventually. Without the Multitouch driver, I'm rolling back to W7 until this is resolved.