[Q550] Windows 8 fixes

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by Tourniquet, Jan 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tourniquet

Tourniquet Scribbler - Standard Member

Hey, because the Q550 is now sooooo cheap I repurchased one yesterday. I decided to try out Windows 8 again and read the whole thread to find infos about it, but I thought a new thread with the most important stuff might be nice.

1. Inking lag in ‘Windows Journal’:

To get rid of the lag problem which is still there since the Release Preview you have to use fullscreen mode. That’s it. Use it and it works like a charm.

2. Crash on Startup:

When you ‘shut down’ the device it uses the new hybrid mode, but for some unknown reason it doesn’t work for the Q550. Therefore you have to disable it. First go to the ‘Power Options’ and select ‘Choose what the power buttons do’. Then uncheck ‘Turn on fast startup (recommended)’ and also uncheck Hibernate (it doesn’t work either). Sleep seems to work just fine.

3. Camera / Webcam displays images upside down:
    Because Windows doesn’t install the correct drivers the Camera doesn’t display the image correctly. This can be fixed when using the ‘Sonix Camera Driver 6.0.1209.0’ from the Q572. Can be found here http://support.ts.fujitsu.com/download/ShowFiles.asp?LNG=COM (Windows 8 32 Bit)

4. I have to press very hard on the touchscreen:
    This is a known problem which was already fixed. But if you’ve just purchased this device, you need to check if you run the latest firmware. You can see it in the N-Trig Tool. The newest Firmwareversion is 11.21.16.42.16. It is important to update this before you install Windows 8. There is no way to do it in Windows 8. You have to update it in Windows 7.

5. Graphic Driver:
    I recommend using the Windows 7 Driver 8.14.6.3077 from the Fujitsu (Fujitsu America - Support). It differs from the CL900 / Dell Latitude ST / Intel. It is optimized for performance not Power Saving.

6. After BIOS update my SDCard isn't recognized:

After updating your BIOS you have to load the 'default settings' again.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2013
  2. Tourniquet

7. Inking lag in Microsoft OneNote 2010 (maybe also 2013):
    After a lot of testing, i finally found a way to get rid of the inking lag in Windows 8 RTM. You have to turn on Layer_ForceDirectDrawEmulation for OneNote. For some reason when this function is turned on, its hardware accelerated. When its turned off, its not hardware accelerated.

Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers]
    "C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Office\\Office14\\ONENOTE.EXE"="~ Layer_ForceDirectDrawEmulation"

Assuming of course you've installed Office to C:\Program Files. Open up notepad, paste it, save as *.reg and open it. Restart OneNote and you should finally use it without a lag.

It would be great if someone could test it with Office 2013.

8. 3 Startscreen rows:
    Because of the resolution the startscreen automatically gets 4 rows, not the normal 3. To change that you can use this registry fix
    Code:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Scaling]
    "MonitorSize"="10.1"

It will also benefit the performance.

9. touch responsiveness:
    I increase the touch responsiveness you can decrease the SampleTime and Latency from 8 to 2. You can also test different variables to match your needs
    Code:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\TouchPrediction]
    "SampleTime"=dword:00000002
    "Latency"=dword:00000002
    "UseHWTimeStamp"=dword:00000001

10. WPF:
    If you use Windows Presentation Foundation apps, you can increase the performance with disabling the HardwareAcceleration:
    Code:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\Avalon.Graphics]
    "DisableHWAcceleration"=dword:00000001

11. Internet Explorer:
    To improve the performance of the Internet Explorer 10, you should use one or more of the tracking protection lists you can find here:
    http://www.iegallery.com/en-us/trackingprotectionlists
    Just click on Add and it will be added. It gets rid of some ads so it will improve the performance.

11. Disable Windows Defender:
    Another easy way to improve the performance is to disable Windows Defender. If you don't want to disable Windows Denfeder completly,
    it's enough to disable the realtime protection.

12. Disable visual feedbacl when touching the screen:
    Especially in Metro / Modern Apps it can increase the performance (multitouch), when you disable the visual touch feedback:
    Code:

1. Go to the Desktop. 
    2. Open Control Panel by opening the Settings charm (Win key + I shortcut) and select Control Panel. 
    3. Select the Small icons / Big icons view and start the Tablet PC Settings control panel applet. 
    4. Select the Other tab. 
    5. Select the Go to Pen and Touch link. 
    6. Select the Touch tab. 
    7. Disable the [B]Show visual feedback when touching the screen[/B] option. 

But there are still things that doesn't work quite right, but for the most part there is a workaround for that:
    • Maps doesn't work - use G Maps
    • Video doesn't work - use Mobile.HD (full 1080p possible), Metro Media Player or Media Player Classic (Desktop, fullscreen only)
    • 'Youtube' does not work in IE10 - use MetroTube (full accelerated) or Opera with Youtube plugin (720p possible)
    • Touch with the N-Trig drivers (4.99.9999.34) are a little bit sluggish when the CPU is busy, but multitouch is possible. Without the drivers touch seems to be more responsive, but no multitouch.
    • There is still not a configuration tool for the N-Trig driver.
    • There is still no OpenGL support.

These are the first few fixes. If you have some too, I will edit my post.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2013
  3. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Thank you for posting this stuff Tourniquet. It seems that most of the q552 users are staying with Win7, but I'm interesting in win8 on that device too. I'm sure that this list of useful tips you've created will work well with it too. I hope so!

edit--
    does your list tie in at all with the stuff dragonfly_1976 posted back in March? Here' a link to his post, and here's the important content from the post itself-

1) Install of Windows 8 Professional édition 32 bits --> same as your post above

2) Graphic card drivers : Version 8.14.6.3077 / 16.01.2012 --> same as your post above

3) Ntrig duosense digitizers drivers : Version 4.99.9999.34 / 28-06-2012 --?? is this your suggestion too?

4) Intel SM35 Chipset drivers : Version 9.2.2.1036 / 5-10-2012 --?? is this what you're using?

Then

Fujitsu button utilities
    display manager
    system extension utility
    autorotation utility

I remember this post of Chromedome really help me : #273

You, of course, have additional info listed. I just saw this other resource available from the other thread, and wanted to bring the two lists together to figure out if we can get something more definitive posted for q550/ q552 users.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  4. Steve B

And just to be thorough, here's the post #273 that Chromedome wrote-

Best thing to do is download the latest drivers from the Q550 support page:
    http://support.ts.fujitsu.com/Downlo...code=0&NavIDs=
    From what I can remember I installed the following after W8 installed all the updates:

Device Driver
    Display Manager (Rstart)
    IntelDisplayDriver - Installs .NetFramework (Rstart)
    System Extension Utility (Rstart)
    Tablet Button Driver
    Tablet Button Utilities - Installs .NetFramework (Rstart) - Problem with Fstrig - Turn off UAC
    Auto-Rotation Utility

Plus you will need to download and install the latest nTrig driver from the nTrig site: Downloads & Drivers - N-trig

5. Steve B

Finally, in post #298, dragonfly_1976 also mentions something separate--

Important : Don't forget to install .Net Framework 3.5 for windows 8, i think it's really important for for optimum performances : Installing the .NET Framework 3.5 on Windows 8

NOTE- there's a hotlink in the original post to the dl. Not sure why it's not transferring over...

Any thoughts on this? Between your posts, Chromehead's posts, and dragonfly_1976's posts, it seems like getting the q550 to work on win8 is possible. I read a couple of posts (maybe yours?) that mention multitouch still not working? As in, no pinch to zoom or rotate??

6. Tourniquet

Hey,

yes it's absolutly possible to use the Q550 with Windows 8. Especially after the using the Inking lag fix for OneNote its nice.
    But there are still things that doesn't work quite right, but for the most part there is a workaround for that:
    • Maps doesn't work - use G Maps
    • Video doesn't work - use Mobile.HD (full 1080p possible), Metro Media Player or Media Player Classic (Desktop, fullscreen only)
    • 'Youtube' does not work in IE10 - use MetroTube (full accelerated) or Opera with Youtube plugin (720p possible)
    • Touch with the N-Trig drivers (4.99.9999.34) are a little bit sluggish when the CPU is busy, but multitouch is possible. Without the drivers touch seems to be more responsive, but no multitouch.
    • There is still not a configuration tool for the N-Trig driver.
    • There is still no OpenGL support.

The NetFramework 3.5 is important, but has nothing to do with better performance. Its important for the Graphic Driver and Fujitsu Utilities like Rotation.

Maybe it's best to create a Guide how to install Windows 8, like motion computing did. I also found some new drivers like a new Chipset Driver (2013), new WLAN Driver (2013), new Audio Driver (2013), new Sierra Wireless Gobi Driver (2013). I think especially the WLAN and the Chipset Driver are important. While i had problems with WLAN in Windows 7 it works very good in Windows 8.

The saddest part is the OpenGL part. While you could play cut the rope (with OpenGL) just fine in Windows 7 it does not work in Windows 8 (Direct3D).

As far as i know the Q552 has different problems with Windows 8. While some of them like N-Trig Touch maybe the same (maybe even not that worse because the CPU does have more power), some are different i would think. I don't have such a device. I read that metro apps are aways crashing in Windows 8. The only known workaround so far for that is using Stardock Modernmix. With this you can use the metro apps on the desktop, without a crash.

I would think that some of these problems will get fixed with Windows 8.1.

7. marcuscreek

marcuscreek Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey, thanks a lot for all the info!! Where can I findthe latest 2013 drivers you are talking about? Thanks 😃

8. Tourniquet

9. marcuscreek

marcuscreek Pen Pal - Newbie

you are like an angel.. thankyou :D
    i will download these and hopefully my q550 will respond a bit better.

oh, also, has anyone found any better graphics drivers over the standard W7 ones yet? or are they the best ones to use.

I've read countless places about Intels lack of helpfulness in this matter!! not very good of them at all

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.