1. You may have noticed that TabletPCReview looks a little different. That's because we've moved to a new, streamlined platform, XenForo. Have yourself a look around and engage with your peers. Tips for completing basic tasks are here. Should you encounter any bugs or issues, please post them in this thread, so that we can prioritize and fix them. And feel free to let us know your opinions of the new site.

Q550: Virtual Keyboard and Case?

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by snowcrash101, Jun 10, 2011.

1. snowcrash101

snowcrash101 Pen Pal - Newbie

Dare I say it, when I used the Ipad's virtual keyboard in landscape mode, I was surprised at how good it was.

How well does the the virtual keyboard for the Q550 in landscape mode work? And are their alternatives available than the standard one that comes with windows?

Similarly, the folding case for the Ipad, which can prop it at an angle works well for typing in landscape mode, does the Q550 have something similar?

thanks
  2. Steve S

Steve S Scribbler - Standard Member Super Moderator

<<...How well does the the virtual keyboard...in landscape mode work?..>>

snow: My initial impression is that the VKB on the Q works about the same as it does on any other capacitive touch screen running Win7 EXCEPT that the Q's touch response seems to be a tad less snappy than others systems to date (read: Slate 500, Dell XT2, etc.). Sometimes I notice it and sometimes I don't.

<<...are their alternatives...>>

...Funny you should ask. The Q actually comes with an alternate VKB application called Nuance. I haven't tried to install it, yet, so I don't have any observations about it to share. Of course, there are other VKB apps that you can also buy, like Hot Keys...

<<...the folding case...does the Q550 have something similar?..>>

...Fujitsu has always been pretty good about providing a nice range of accessories for their products. The Q is no exception. There are a few folios and cases for the Q at Fujitsu Global (look under Accessories). There isn't a folio case with a keyboard, but perhaps one will appear soon...
  3. Greg_E

Greg_E Scribbler - Standard Member

I posted in another thread that the cheapo case/keyboard things for the 10 inch Flytouch 2/3 may fit. Looking at the dimensions the W500 and Q550 are 5 millimeters wider and 5 or 1 millimeters thicker (respectively). The taller dimension should not matter because the top of the case is open, fitting it between the holders is the only question and since I don't have either tablet, I haven't purchased a case/keyboard. You can find both the case/keyboard and Flytouch 3 at LightintheBox which is a direct from China seller (there are many others on the web too). Do your own comparison and decide if it is worth the chance on the $35USD.
  4. cfdevkev

cfdevkev Scribbler - Standard Member

The XT9 keyboard from Nuance is interesting. I do not care about the auto word completion and stuff like that, but the Swype-ish typing is great for busting out the one-handed messages! Those not familiar with Swype, you basically trace the letters for your word without lifting your finger off the screen. You can get pretty darn quick with it.

For the trace to work, the XT9 portion of the keyboprd must be enabled; not the end of the world. The one thing I do not like is the interference caused by the XT9 when typing. So if you touch the screen, then hit the icon to type, the Windows keyboard appears, but the XT9 still tries to take over... probably some settings to fix that but I have not gone deep on this one.

More entertaining that useful for me, but still pretty fun to try out.
  5. phinphan

phinphan Pen Pal - Newbie

Compared to an Ipad keyboard, the Windows 7 keyboard and the Nuance Keyboard are flat awful. If the ipad keyboard is a 10 then the windows 7 keyboard is a 1 and the Nuance keyboard is a 2. I can type reasonably fast on an ipad but typing on the Q550 is an exercise in futility. Strictly one finger hunt and peck and verify. MS or Fujitsu needs to ramp this up.
  6. jnjroach

jnjroach Scribbler - Standard Member Super Moderator

I'm using the Hot Virtual Keyboard on my HP Slate 500 and it works really well...
  7. HyLander

HyLander Pen Pal - Newbie

I just loaded it and it gives better performance than the Win7 keyboard. Don't know how it compares to the nuance, as I found that to be worse overall than the win7 because of that xt9 nonsense and didn't install it.
  8. cfdevkev

cfdevkev Scribbler - Standard Member

Nice to hear about some other keyboards, I just use the Windows standard one... not sure what the big deal is about it. I have it adjusted and type comfortably at a decent rate with both hands and multiple fingers... posting this using it right now... Honestly, if I am going to do any real typing I use the BT keyboard. *shrug*
  9. jnjroach

jnjroach Scribbler - Standard Member Super Moderator

I use the UMPC+Numbers format for thumb typing, it has allowed me to leave the mini bluetooth keyboard and mouse at home. So now I use the the Mini Bluetooth Keyboard and MS Bluetooth Notebook Mouse 5000 at home while docked (also if I'm traveling for multiple days but they stay in the hotel) and MS Mobile Keyboard 6000 and MS Bluetooth Mouse 8000 at work while docked. When in the field or at client meetings just the HVK, Pen and Touch.
  10. TheVoid

TheVoid Pen Pal - Newbie

Have found the windows Keyboard to be quite adequate as well. But honestly the handwriting recognition works so much better than I expected that I use it most of the time.