Q550 User Observations

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by Steve S, Jun 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. econgrad

econgrad Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks everyone. Looks like it's time to call customer service...

2. HyLander

HyLander Pen Pal - Newbie

I just tested and I've got the same issue, so you aren't alone.

Edit: Following a clean install (a lengthy process for the uninitiated, as I, the uninitiated found out), this problem went away for me.

3. econgrad

Glad you got it working. I just removed the calibration data and now it works. Has the clean install been helpful and problem free?

4. econgrad

I think someone may have said this, but it's worth repeating: Opera's browser for tablets is great. iPad like responsiveness. Very fast pinch zoom and scrolling.

5. HyLander

I think so. I did it to try to both reduce the amount of HD space windows was taking up and to increase performance by not having to load some of the default software. I doubt I succeeded very much in the former, since I mostly just culled out unnecessary drivers for hardware I wasn't going to load (like tv tuners or modems). I won't really know if I've gained until after some sort of MS Office install, since that's the "big" thing I haven't reloaded.

The latter, however, seems to have helped, in combination with the tweaks I had done prior to the install (turning off aero and User Account Control, reducing visual effects, and turning off the services I probably won't be using - Bluetooth, Smartcard, Fingerprint scanner, print spooler). For the sake of numbers, a few minutes after booting up and sitting idle, the system has 48 processes running using 30% of the physical memory.

I initially didn't intend to load the Fujitsu system extension stuff, but I like Auto-rotate... which requires the system extension driver and utility AND the button driver and utility. (If you load the drivers in the order on Fujitsu's website, Auto-Rotate will whine about the button utility not being installed, which is listed later. Of course that order also grants Bluetooth a higher priority than the video drivers, so go figure.)

6. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

turning off 'User Account Control' isn't a great idea as that adds a very good layer of protection especially when set to maximum. in all my tweaks I've always left that at high.

Just a suggestion :)

7. upperking

upperking Pen Pal - Newbie

I did a clean install from a win7 pro disc I had laying around and used the Q550 key under neath the battery,
    Seems to be quicker,the cpu tends to stay below 100% jumps, spends more time below 50% and the memory use is around 30% which is down from 60% from oem OS.

A handy meter for memory and cpu Most Wanted Windows Gadgets - Windows Vista and Windows 7

ps.
    coming from motion LE 1600 in 2004 and other convertibles, I bought this pad for the pen to use for my job of doing kitchen layouts "one note and ever note" and the inking works better then anything else at this time.
    I bought the Htc flyer, asus transformer,ipad2,galaxy tab 10.1, galaxy tab 7, acer icona, with the BB 15 day return window and I decided q550 for work using pen with touch turned off and galaxy tab 10.1 for touch and web browsing, media.
    and evo3d for my phone
    Now I am complete..

8. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

Dude, that's impressive for Windows7! I never got less than 50-something processes in my TM2. Congrats!

9. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

I keep mine at "high" as well. However, I believe that one can have UAC disabled and get good security if using a Standard user account. That would make Win7 as safe as WinXP on a Standard user account (that is, very safe), correct?

10. HyLander

Well, I've found one problem so far. Twice now, the multifinger support has crapped out on me - once after viewing the caflashtrophe that gottabemobile is on the Q550, and once after installing Opera (precisely to see how the pinch-zoom and panning is on that). Single finger and pen support are unaffected, but it's extremely annoying as I just got used to right-click using a second finger instead of holding down.

It's almost certainly overkill, but I'm going to try to do a reinstall - partly to motivate me to make a different backup ISO, since the IE9 I slipstreamed into the previous one was out of date and Windows ended up redownloading it, and partly because I didn't bother to make a bootable USB drive before - and my old DVD drive crapped out twice in the install process. In case anyone is considering using RT 7 Lite to edit their windows install - be prepared to wait. I think it takes almost as long as if I were to just type each bit in by hand.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.