Q550 is my mobile note taker, but...

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by dceggert, Feb 11, 2012.

1. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

Just an update - I just ordered a Fujitsu T731 to become my heavy lifting device. I wanted to keep this platform mobile as I do use it mobile when the Q550 cannot keep up.

I thought long and hard about the T901 but decided against it; the screen size, with the same resolution as the T731 (800x1280), is ginormous (see here - http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/hardware/48082-tabletpc-screen-size-comparison.html#post272182). I remember my 2730P with the 12.1" screen and it was a very useful size. So, in the end I decided to go with the T731 and we shall see how this works out now.

So my system will become:
    1. Q550 for mobile notes and documents
    2. T731 for heavier lifting like video encoding, movies and games in the motorhome, and 'stuff' the Q550 cannot quite handle like Visio diagrams and such

We shall see!

2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I saw that Fuji had a sale going on. So close to Ivybridge though.

3. sudermatt

sudermatt Scribbler - Standard Member

I've had to T730-for about a year now and I love it. People are amazed at work when I start diagramming stuff out in the middle of a meeting. I'm still looking for the perfect slate companion

4. 2disbetter

2disbetter Function over Form

I really wish that Lenovo would stop pushing 16:9 screens. Makes me wish I'd given the Fujitsu a closer look.

Let us know how it goes with the T731 and congrats!

2d

5. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

So the decision to go with the Fuji over the HP Elitebook was primarily price? I'm looking to replace my notebook this Spring, with an Ivy Bridge Convertible Notebook for doing, as you say, the heavy lifting. I think the HD 4000 IGPU will suffice for my needs, as long as I can adapt an extermal GPU while docked on the desk. Thus, I will need to see if HP enables thunderbolt support on its next-gen 2760p.

I was looking at standard notebooks, but I can't imagine buying another notebook without tablet capability. I like the 16:10 display of the 2760p and hope HP keeps it one more generation.

Be sure to let us know how you like your Fuji.

6. dceggert

Bronsky,
    I received the T731 yesterday and I am still in the process of setting it all up. Some 'negatives' that others have noted about the T731 and my response:
    - bezel lip around the screen obtrusive - it gives you a place to rest your palm
    - blocky design - yup, but that also lets it sit square on the desk
    - keyboard is cramped - not from the perspective of using a T580, and, by the way, the largest mainstream TabletPC, the T901, uses the same keyboard

So, do I like it? The 12.1" 16:10 screen is as big as I remember for a TabletPC. With that comes the weight...I am used to using my Q550 daily and this is big and heavy compared to that. However, with that said, it is smaller and lighter than the Thinkpad R400 I used to lug around.

Inking is Wacom...oh man, I wish Fujitsu would put that on the Q550, it would be so much closer to perfect.

Speed of the i5 is, well, lets just say that the T580 is pretty quick with a 1.33 GHz i5. This has a 2.4 GHz, and the speed seems to be about the difference in the clock speeds. It is fast...I wish again....Fujitsu, i5 in the Q550 please! Call it a 'performance slate' and I will even live with the battery life degredation!

Other than that, it is docked with my Targus USB dock with video running my large monitor at a good resolution. Pretty nice so far!

7. dceggert

8. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Scribbler - Standard Member

dceggert:

I have always appreciated your methodical approach to device selection as your needs are similar to my own.

Is there a reason you are not waiting to see what Windows 8 will offer?

I find it disturbing that your Q550 (any Atom slate) cannot handle large Powerpoint files. That is a non-starter for me.

I guess the Atoms are off my list.

9. dceggert

Erik,
    I see Win 8 as being just like Win 7, Win Vista, Win XP......, Win ME, Win 95.... In other words, lots of hype and anticipation. Win 7 does what I need it to do and I am not looking for an OS that can window around with a finger like iOS. The hardware in the convertible market may be iterating with its release but it will be incremental at best; no breakthroughs.

The real hardware breakthrough will be in slates, and most especially, Windows on ARM (WOA). If I were looking to replace teh Q550 then I would be waiting.

I fully expect to install Win 8 on my two devices when it is available. I may be missing the required GPS sensor for a "Win 8 certified tablet" but I have usb and BT versions already for the function. The Q550 lacks USB3, but it will not be required to have it to install the OS, it is just another cerification thing. The T731 already has USB 3. I saw no reason to wait unless I was interested in a WOA device, which I am not.

On the Powerpoint aspect, I think the issue is specifically in the way I operate on the Q550. I have every application I need installed and to save disk space I have most of my user files on the SDXC card. A long time ago when my place of occupation switched from Wordperfect to Word it was evident that Microsoft never intended to keep files on the removable media. They fixed this over time with Word and Excel, but I think Powerpoint is still having trouble. On large file Powerpoint slides with large graphics, the machine slows considerably when reading and writing to the card. If one loses patience, which I do quite often, and begin clicking things to figure out what is stuck, the program goes 'white screen' and I end up cloising it out in frustration. The T580 may have a faster read/write speed to the SD, and the T731 seems to do very well, but with a 320 GB HDD I can keep everything on the HDD and not have to deal with the small SSD.

I am not making excuses for the Z670, and the Z690 should be better and hopefully one day Fujitsu will offer a Q550 with the Z690 without the WWAN. That would be a better device. I also expect this market to explode in the fourth quarter with Win 8 so watch for several Q550 like devices with the new N2600 or better dual-core Atoms, USB 3, GPS, WWAN, and a pen!

For me I already have what I need. I may want to upgrade when the above becomes available, but unless may machine takes a tumble I will not HAVE to upgrade until something really catches my eye. In the meantime, the Q550 will do 90% of what I need a device to do and that is a sweet spot for me. The best thing I can do in the near future is upgrade my Q550 to a 128 GB SSD if I can find one.

Thanks for the vote of confidence in my analysis process, some like it, my wife thinks it is over the top! LOL....

10. mmccord

mmccord Scribbler - Standard Member

The keyboard on a T901 is not the same one that's on a T731.

I have a T901 on my desk and a T731 on my lap right now. :)

BTW, My T5010 bit the dust last month, which is why I got the T901. While I waited for my T901 to come in, I used a Samsung Series 7 (ended up being about a month, due to my own delay). The Series 7 is a top-notch machine for mobile use. I don't think any convertible tablet I have used can compete. It's not for me because I use my laptop primarily on my desk, but I think it blows the Q550 (and most other slates) out of the water.