Q550 Configuration Settings for improved zip

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by dceggert, Sep 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

Okay, so the Z670 OakTrail is a bit weezy for a full fledge computer but with a little help it isn't too bad. The 7+ hours of battery life on 'balanced' is very nice and I regularly go home from an 8.5 hour day of fiddling and note taking with 1/2 charge left. Impressive.

So here are just some small configs that helped smooth things out and add some zip...

1. Turn off Aero. The Aero bogs the computer down and drives up resources. Turning this off seems to be the biggest boost to overall performance one can do. I can still run Outlook on the Desktop and screen Gadgets without issue so this one is significant.
    2. Set the performance mode to 'balanced.' Battery life is not as good as with the 'battery saver' option but good enough for me. The performance is slightly better although it is difficult to measure.
    3. Load the 3067 video driver. This smooths out the return from sleep even more than the 3056 driver that supposedly resolved the sleep lockup issues (sleep of death). 720p video is also very smooth now with this driver. I have not yet tried the 1080p out through the HDMI but I will when I get a chance.
    4. Stick with IE8 and do not load IE9. I was fortunate enough to upgrade to IE9 on my T580 before checking the box to perform the update the Q550. IE9 loads web pages super slow compared to IE8 on my T580. I am not sure why since all the reviews said IE9 was supposedly faster than 8, but IE9 and the T580 is a super slow web experience. This also goes for FireFox 4. Not sure what is up with the two 'new' browsers but they are terrible. FireFox 5 is a big improvement but so far I have left IE8 on the Q550 and it is working okay. I read others on here say 'the Q550 is so slow...even the web loads slow...' I cannot help but wonder if they are using IE9. Don't do it, and if you already have, install Firefox 5 until MS releases an update to IE9 and fixes this.
    5. Configure Pen and Touch speed settings. For some reason the double tap speed by default is too fast for the Q550. Many times with pen and touch I cannot open a program or choose a song to play in WMP by double tapping it. I changed the speed setting to slower and the spacial tolerance to wider and it is working better.
    6. Configure Pen and Touch panning settings. Based on the recommendations on the Fujitsu blog I set the touch panning inertia settings all the way down to 'less.' Apparently this improves touch response. I cannot really tell the difference but who am I to argue with the engineers at the manufacturer?
    7. Get a(n) HTC Flyer pen. The pen slides on the screen better, is quieter for inking and selecting, and you get the added benefit of a second button for erasing while inking. Don't pay the retail $80; they are now being sold for far less so shop around online. The going rate as of Sep 2011 is $50 but I got mine on eBay for $30. I consider this pen an 'upgrade' in performance. Durability is still out on this pen vs. the OEM pen but it looks to have all the right stuff.

I hope this helps, and by all means, if there are other settings please share!

2. mmccord

mmccord Scribbler - Standard Member

How does chrome compare?

3. dceggert

Until recent announcements, Chrome was intended to not be a touch/pen based browser and not a good choice for tabletpc's. Google wanted to differentiate Chrome by making it a desktop only package, and eventually use it as a base for a desktop OS. Google decided to not pursue touch/pen input methods for tablets or tabletpc's. Of course that has changed recently with the announcement that they would in fact add that, but I am not sure it is out in the wild yet.

4. mittmark

mittmark Scribbler - Standard Member

Okay Dan, I'm trying your recommendations. I see a significant reduction in memory and processes running, let's see if it shows up in speed. I'll try it for a day and report back.

One question... Do you use, or have installed, the "NAct" touch package from Ntrig?

5. Pianomanos

Pianomanos Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm running Chrome with an additional touch-scrolling plug-in, and it's much faster than IE or Firefox, especially on websites with a lot of flash content. I don't even bother trying to use Youtube with IE on the Q, it bogs down until it's completely unresponsive. I think I'm beginning to understand why Apple hates flash...

Another thing I would add to Dan's excellent comments is to change opening files from double-click to single-click (control panel-> folder options-> general), which makes Windows much more touch-friendly.

6. mittmark

What's the name of the plug in? I stopped using Chrome because it wasn't very touch friendly (no scrolling, etc.) would love to try the plug-in.

7. mmccord

mmccord Scribbler - Standard Member

I use one called chromeTouch. I don't have a touchscreen but I prefer 'touch' type scrolling with the pen to trying to hit the scrollbar on the side of the window.

8. asicguy

asicguy Pen Pal - Newbie

How do you use both buttons on the flyer pen? I got one, but both buttons appear to do the same thing.
    Thanks

9. dceggert

Hmmm, interesting. This may take some diagnostic work.

First, go to Control Panel> Hardware> Pen and Touch and make sure that the options for using right click and using the eraser are both checked.

10. mittmark

Dan,
    Okay, the verdic is in... I really don't notice a big performance boost by turning off Aero. I know everyone says to turn Aero off, but it doesn't seem to make much difference to me.

I've done almost all of the other performance recommendations you mentioned, except going back to IE8, and touch has improved. Touch actually works better than pen input and has become joy to use.

Overall speed is still too slow for business productivity use. For instance, today I had to make a complicated Excel spreadsheet using pictures and shapes. I had to use the Q because it is the only computer that had Microsoft Office 2010 installed with the new features I needed for the spreadsheet. I got the job done, but at a noticeable lag on some commands. I just needed to be more patient and allow the Q to catch up when clicking cells and resizing shapes.

Thanks for the recommendations that did work. But, all the tweaking in the world, driver updates, overclocking, Windows 8 OS upgrades, pleading and cussing, won't make the Windows Experience Index shoot from a 2 to a 4.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.