Q550 and Windows 10

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by GreatEmerald, Jun 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GreatEmerald

GreatEmerald Pen Pal - Newbie

Has anyone tried to get Windows 10 running on the Q550 yet? Is it even possible to do?

On my Q550, the Get Windows 10 app says "processor not supported" and the Windows 8 upgrade assistant says that NX (no-execute bit) is not enabled. Which is really strange, because the Z670 does have NX support, and there's no option to toggle it in the UEFI. I upgraded the UEFI to the latest one, too, and nothing seems to have changed. Any ideas? Reportedly people have got Windows 8.1 running, and it requires NX too...

desilva likes this.
  2. GreatEmerald

All right, I tried it myself. Installed the Preview into a VHD. It looks like all the warnings that NX is not supported are just bugs in the upgrade assistants (you can see that NX is enabled by looking at DEP settings, it says that it's hardware-accelerated, which mean NX is on) and it installs just fine.

The nice thing is that it has WLAN drivers preinstalled, as well as basic N-Trig drivers. The setup is nicely touch-optimised too. So what I did so far was:
    1. Install Win10
    2. Install the chipset drivers (Win7 version, from Fujitsu US site)
    3. Install .NET Framework 3.5 (tablet control panel "Settings" → Apps and features → Optional features → Add feature → .NET Framework 3.5; this is needed for the graphics driver installer)
    4. Install the graphics drivers (Win7 version, from Fujitsu US site)
    5. Set display size to 125%
    6. In Settings → Personalisation → Colours, disable "Make Start, taskbar and action centre transparent"
    So far so good. I get the native resolution, can control the brightness, and everything seems to work OK so far. It also takes merely 7.4 GiB of space, as opposed to 35.6 that Win7 does. It does feel a bit slow-ish, but it's not a paragon of speed on Win7 either. Since I've only installed it, I can't comment that much on other functionality yet.

3. GreatEmerald

Some more things I noted:
    As reported with Win8, OneNote is useless. It's both slow and unstable (crashing outright). Windows Journal is fine, though. I'll also test Xournal later on.
    It helps performance quite a bit to go to advanced system settings, Performance, and deselect everything but font smoothing.

Lots of drivers are built-in, including fingerprint, smartcard, SD card, camera, N-Trig, Wifi and integrated audio. In fact, it doesn't allow you to install the Win7 N-Trig drivers. Multitouch works out of the box, but there's no N-Trig control panel to select input mode, see battery status, and so on. Would be nice if someone found a way to install that.

There were two "Unknown devices" after I installed chipset and video drivers. They are satisfied by the Win7 drivers marked "Button Driver" and "Fujitsu System extension Driver: FUJ02E3". After also installing the Button Utility and rebooting, the three hardware buttons work just as intended. The "system extension" appears to be the gyro; installing the Fujitsu System Extension Utility and the Auto Rotation Utility makes autorotation work as intended.

Fingerprint login works out of the box, but you have to set up a PIN first (it's the the sign-in part of Accounts in Settings). Though I'm not sure whether the fingerprint capabilities handles passwords. I haven't tried authenticating as an admin for UAC with it just yet, either. The Win7 OmniPass app doesn't install.

The Battery Utility installs, but I have no idea what it does. Nothing seems to have changed after installing it. The Power Saving Utility works, but it's pretty useless (just an icon to change brightness, wifi and audio state, something you can do by swiping the finger right to left already).

Fujitsu Mobility Center adds a panel "Wake up by USB" into the Mobility Center. It's disabled by default and all the other things in the Mobility Center are already accessible by swiping right to left, so again I think that's pretty useless.

MS Office 2010 Starter is blocked from being installed too, unfortunately (that's on top of its built-in version check). So in that regard it's best to either switch to the FLOSS LibreOffice (desktop)/Calligra Gemini (tablet) or use some of the apps on Windows Store. I much prefer using free and open-source solutions here.

Sleep and turning off the display works correctly, so power options are covered. I'll try and see how the battery holds up later.

One annoying thing I noticed is that the first time I used the stylus, the touch keyboard shrunk to stylus-size, but didn't grow back up when I switched back to finger input. So it's super tiny and hitting the buttons is very difficult. Perhaps it's a bug in Windows; I can see that it differentiates between finger and stylus input just fine, judging from the cursor style (right-click is square for touch and glowing circle for stylus).

But all in all I'm quite impressed, it looks like it works much better on Win10 than on Win8, and I'd say it's better than Win7 too due to the tablet focus (and than Win8 due to the fact that the taskbar exists at all times and is configurable, that's pretty handy). So the free upgrade should be worth it.

ultra99 and desilva like this.
  4. stormi

stormi Scribbler - Standard Member

I recently installed Win10 on my old HP tx2 with AMD and N-Trig and it's even a few years older than your Q550.
    After clean installation & updates I was impressed that there was a driver for really everything, even for such old hardware where some components never got fully supported/drivers on Win8.
    The only thing I needed to install was a driver for the buttons.
    Pen & touch is now working better than on any previous Windows on this machine (there was a lot of trouble with this early generation N-trig digitizer/touchscreen).

5. ultra99

ultra99 Scribbler - Standard Member

thanks for you detailed input.

I'm in the same boat, want to try out win 10 after leaving the tablet untouched because of the horrible experience with win 8.1. I was wondering, how's inking on OneNote, any changes? I read that there was a problem that Intel isn't providing the required driver for the GMA 600.

6. GreatEmerald

Like I said, no changes in OneNote, it's too slow to be usable and even crashes if you write for more than a minute, last I tried. But Windows Journal works fine, as good as in Win7 when Aero is disabled.

7. Tourniquet

Tourniquet Scribbler - Standard Member

Which verion of OneNote have you tried?

Did you try the "Layer_ForceDirectDrawEmulation" fix? In Windows 8 it worked. But I'm not so sure about Windows 8.1.

8. GreatEmerald

It was the version that ships with Win10 itself. I'm not sure about the specifics.
    And no, I didn't try it. Then again, personally I don't see what OneNote adds over Windows Journal, so I didn't really care enough to get to the bottom of it either.

9. GreatEmerald

Now I upgraded Win7 to Win10 RTM. Since there's no "Get Windows 10" app, I used the downloadable tool instead: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install The upgrade process is lengthy, but didn't give any issues.

I noticed after installing the drivers that the touch keyboard becoming super tiny is actually due to the graphics drivers. The solution to that is what in the Windows 8 thread was called "3 Startscreen rows": telling Windows Explorer about the actual screen size by adding a registry key (and indeed the whole "Scaling" folder thingie) and value.

Per request I retried OneNote, and interestingly enough, looks like Microsoft managed to solve the issue in the RTM build! Now inking in it is just as fast as in Windows Journal. (Not that you get anything more than a trial by default, though, so I'll stick to Windows Journal/Xournal regardless.)

10. ultra99

ultra99 Scribbler - Standard Member

That's actually very interesting. I think I'll try the upgrade. Does win 7 have to be fully updated? Because I haven't been using it for a while...

thanks so much for the update!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.