[Q550] 2,04 GB recovery partition on 30 GB SSD version

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by khs, Apr 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. khs

khs Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi,

I'm about to reinstall Windows 7 on my Q550. I just don't know, what's the role of the hidden primary active "recovery" partition (2,04 GB size). Just learned, that I have to install from the recovery DVD, so what is this partition for, wehn there's no way you can access it?

What to do: ignore it? Delete it and gain 2 GB?

I hope anyone can answer, so that I can start today :)

Regards!
    khs

2. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Its there so at boot you can press F8 or F9 [or whatever key it is] and then it starts a Windows 7 recovery and that will reinstall Win 7 back to factory settings on the main partition. Its supposed to be a handy way to recover from a major OS issue, but its not needed... Now, if you'd like you can do the ISO method from this NBR thread LEGAL Windows 7 Download Links (Just like Vista before!!!) to do a fresh install of Windows 7, and I'd recommend trying Vlite to slim it down to get a even smoother running install (just follow their instructions, try Vlite, install the same version your COA key is for, then use the COA to fully activate it)

3. khs

khs Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi,

I already tried to getting the Hard Disk Based Recovery to run like you or this link Technical Support pages from Fujitsu describes the steps. But the mentioned "Fujitsu Recovery" partition wasn't found. I think that I've read this option is only available on the big SSD version.

I even have made a "test" installation from the Fujitsu Recovery DVD, transferred to the USB stick. As it seems, this is also a very clean installation. You can access it by touch, but don't have any specific drivers installed.

So now I deleted the - as it seems to - senseless recovery partition and reinstall Windows 7.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.