psychotherapy notes & Tablet PC?

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by JR7, Oct 22, 2007.

1. jeanette

jeanette Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm looking to convert my paper file folders & psychotherapy and medication notes to a tablet pc system. These are my questions:
    1. Can I buy something that I can hold on my lap comortably all day, and jot notes on like a legal pad? (it's rude to type whole a patient is talking but people are used to therapists taking notes).

2. Can I use my own forms that I made with Microsoft word - write in them - special software needes? (I currently print them off and they're a combination of check-offs and narrative).

3. Can I scan all my current papers from patient files and create files for each, open a pts file and pull up old scanned stuff, add new progress note forms, have the ability to print off something another treater might need?

Am willing to make an investment so this will last for many years.

2. Anopheles

Anopheles Pen Pal - Newbie

I had a similar question and have found it is a great way to keep track of notes. The handwriting recoqnition is ok; and with Vista I have been able to train it to get better. But the best part is keeping track of all the notes in a way that is easy to compare and retrieve.

I don't find it distracting to use as a tablet (I am on a trial of a fujutsu T2010. I definitely recommend something on the lighter side. I know a doc who uses a pure tablet and is happy with that. I prefer the convertible so I can also use it as a traditional laptop.

You can definitely set it up to use your own forms.

Best wishes.

3. JR7

JR7 Pen Pal - Newbie

You might also want to check into specific software for your profession. A friend of mine who is a psychiatrist had some software that let him pick symptoms from a list, diagnosis from a list, and medications from a list. It would then transform his selections into standard text like "Patient presents with <yadda, yadda>. Patient complains of <etc, etc>. Diagnosis is <choice>. Prescribed <med> in <x> dosage." I'm making up words here, but you get the idea. He could then add his own specific notes below that. The selection part sped things up a lot so he spent less time writing that part, plus the standard wording was formatted the way insurance companies like it so he had fewer issues with billing.

The bad news is that he was taking his notes on a pda, not a tablet. But there is a good chance that if that kind of software exists for a pocket pc, it also exists for a pc.

This might be what you already created with your forms in MS-Word, but I thought I'd mention it just in case.

Good luck,

JR