PSA: Lenovo Warranty Service really is that bad.

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by DoctorBunsenHoneydew, Dec 18, 2015.

1. DoctorBunsenHoneydew

DoctorBunsenHoneydew Scribbler - Standard Member

Haven't talked about this here because I don't want to unfairly trash a company, but just a word of warning that the warranty service is bad.

Like REALLY bad. Like worst I've ever experienced bad. Like "send your laptop in for even an easy fix, and don't get it back for months" bad.

I won't go into the exact specifics of my case (basically had a bad headphone jack and I'm a month in with no end in sight), but I'm one of a ton of people who sent their laptop into the Lenovo Repair Vortex, with no sign of when it's coming back, and in what condition.

Here's a VERY active forum filled with people frustrated with botched and delayed warranty repairs.
    https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/General-Discussion/bd-p/Special_Interest_General

Again, don't want to start a crapstorm about this, but I think it's important that people know what they're getting into when buying from Lenovo. Laptops are great, great price, but God help you if you ever need a warranty fix.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
  2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Lenovo depot service has always been legendarily bad. It and Asus have been, IMO, in a race to the bottom for incompetent and unresponsive depot warranty service. Unfortunately, your experience and the wailings of those you linked to are not unusual.

That is why I have a bias toward Thinkpads with onsite NBD warranties. My experience with Thinkpad service, at least the onsite kind, has always been quite good. I credit this to a responsive call center in Atlanta run by IBM. Even this, however, has been coming under fire more often by loyal Thinkpad buyers. The service issue is probably one of the things that would keep me away from the new Lenovo Miix 700 if I was seriously considering it. I steer clear of any Lenovo brand other than Thinkpads and, even at that, only if onsite service is available.

The only depot service in the US that is worth a damn is Acer's depot in Temple Texas. It is a model of the way a depot should be run. You are contacted when your unit is received, when it is diagnosed and when it is shipping back. The only drawback is that they will only ship ground, so the entire round trip normally takes a couple of weeks. The technicians are top rate too. I have had units nearly rebuilt just because parts in the path of the defective part had to be removed and the technicians replaced them with new parts. One time, a technician removed an ALPs touchpad and replaced it with a Synaptics model just because it worked smoother.

Hopefully, your ordeal is over by now and you have your laptop back.

3. soh5

soh5 Surface or Bust Senior Member

All services are inferior compared to the Microsoft Complete Package.

My Thinkpad Tablet 2 had coffee spilled on it and it seeped into the charging port. Microsoft Store Replaced the unit even after the warranty was finished for a month. I love microsoft store and try to buy anything tech related through there. 0 hassles.

DoctorBunsenHoneydew likes this.
  4. DoctorBunsenHoneydew

Yeah this is good advice guys.

I guess if you're relying on the device for work, get the most beefy warranty you can get, and ask around beforehand.

5. DoctorBunsenHoneydew

Aaannd It's on parts hold. For the THIRD TIME. No eta given. Now over a month in for a headphone jack repair.

So I call the center to request a replacement unit instead. They tell me I need to wait 1-3 business days to talk to someone who even has the ability to talk to me about replacing it.

Not to replace it. Just to talk to a guy who can talk to me about maybe replacing it... Or not. Oh also I'll be out of the country in two days, so I guess f me, huh?

This is so epicly bad. Considering getting the surface book and just selling the thing if/when it ever comes back.

Bronsky likes this.
  6. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Could not agree more. Complete Care is a decent warranty and Microsoft Store personnel bend over backwards to take care of you.

7. DoctorBunsenHoneydew

Oh man if I could upgrade to not-crap Lenovo warranty at this point I would. Just never expected the base one to be this incompetent, and can't do much until I get the unit back.

Unfortunately there's no Wacom based dgpu options except thru best buy or (soon) Lenovo, and neither are known for their great warranty service. If I could get it thru the ms store I would.

8. DoctorBunsenHoneydew

My god yes it's finally repaired! So that makes over a month and a half for a "6 day" repair.

Lesson learned: I'm getting the better warranty from Lenovo. Hopefully it means I can avoid this sort of downtime again.

Bronsky likes this.
  9. MrAwesome421

MrAwesome421 Pen Pal - Newbie

Wow. That is some shady customer support.

Always heard nightmares about Lenovo regarding this kind of thing, I guess the stories are true. Hopefully I never have to deal with that. Yikes...

10. ikjadoon

ikjadoon Pen Pal - Newbie

Seems like on-site or bust is the only way with Lenovo.

I've only ever had on-site with NBD on all my Dell laptops; I don't know how I could live for weeks without a primary laptop.