Proud owner of the $3600 R400...come get your questions answered :)

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by hemmatmahdi, Mar 7, 2007.

1. hemmatmahdi

hemmatmahdi Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello everyone,

I JUST received this yesterdayin the mail...and I threw all my paper notebooks away :).

No more of that haha...

So anyway...ask me any questions you guys have regarding the laptop and I will answer them for you :)

2. kensei

kensei Scribbler - Standard Member

Congratulations. I'm almost jealous.

With a dedicated graphics card on my Tecra M7....just....almost. :p

Did you get the expansion battery with it? I really think you should...and I assume that you are talking $AUD judging from the price.

3. hemmatmahdi

Product Total: $3,499.99
    Tax: $196.00
    Order Total: $3,695.99

lol this is in $USD..I hope the gov. loves the tax =D

It came with the uber light dvd burner..which I prolly won't use since I only need the lappy for writing notes...

Today was sooo awkward during physics class...I was the ONLY one with a laptop..let alone a tablet...

When the class started and I turned the shmexy screen..they were like wtf O-o

Btw, I did get the battery expansion too, but 3.2 hours is enough for me at the moment..maybe in the summer when I have like full day classes and I can't get a seat on the first row...

4. Brian

Brian Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

We just got our review unit in this week too, so feel free to bombard Tiffany with questions too, lol.

5. SimsHsia

SimsHsia "I will do science to it" Senior Member

Indeed, the price aside, the R400 sure is a head-turner, with those who turn their heads thinking, "What's that?!", "Did that person just break the screen?", and so forth. :)

Oh, and in the event they don't see it the first time, I'm sure the glossy piano-black finish will get their attention as well. ;)

6. bobbyfills

bobbyfills Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey congrats!! I too am planning on purchasing an R400, and I hope you can help me with some of your input on your new fascinating machine :) First of all performance.. Is it fast? Any slow downs or lag? Second, how is the pen, I have heard it is different than other pens because it has some sort of rubber tip is that true? Third, how is the build on the system, in other words is it pretty sterdy and well built? .. hmm what else.. I guess thats all I can think about for now, besides I got to go I think my boss is coming :eek:

7. arobulack

arobulack Pen Pal - Newbie

Congrats dude,

I'd be interested in how it is from a user experience perspective. In particular:

-how is performance? Does the Core Duo underperform in Vista? Do you notice any lag in response when you perform certain actions?

-how does the stylus feel? How different is it from writing on paper? How natural is note taking?

-does it include OneNote 2007? I can't seem to get an answer from Toshiba regarding this.

Have fun and enjoy your new machine!

Cheers!

8. arobulack

arobulack Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey,

could you also comment on how the latchless-lid mechanism works and feels? Is the lid sturdy in tablet mode as well as when closed? Does the hinge movement feel solid, how prone to damage would you consider it?

And how is the LED screen? Is it bright? Any weird look about it?

Cheers again.

9. hemmatmahdi

This lappy is sooo fast...windows loads fast, apps load fast..everything is nice..I mean cmon, microsoft and toshiba built it together ;) I think vista is MEANT for this laptop.

After my first physics lecture it was weird..but now....after my second, I am sooo used to it :D, it is just so awesome, and the fact that everything is neat is just :).

It DOES include onenote 2007 and actually gives you the serial and the authentication sticker or w/e along with it.

Latchless-lid is a great invention..althought don't just wack it..slowly help it..although these tough rubber blockers could sustain the snap. during laptop mode the screen is solid. I would say..same damage could be done to this laptop as any other...BUT I think the keyboard and cover are REALLY nice and strong.

The LED..omg, I can't believe how awesome it is...you can be 1 inch away and it won't hurt your eyes...it is as bright as anything..and can be as dim as you want "perfect for nighttime surfing when parents think your sleeping ;) ;)"

It is NOT weird...it is actually the exact same thing..except in my opinion has WAAAY less eye strain if ANY.

Performance is just perfect :) but I bet when I uninstall all this crap it would be even better :p..I was wondering...do you think XP would work on this lappy? haha...

The pen...well it isn't rubber..it looks like really hard fiber..idk..like a soft pen.. :p

And omg..sturdyness is just so perfect...I love how there is a huge Toshiba sign on the cover..so people won't think it is a mac haha

The best part about having a tablet is...you get to tell everyone this:

"omg...paper is like soooo last year!"

haha

10. bobbyfills

bobbyfills Pen Pal - Newbie

Excellent! Im happy to hear good things about it!! Thank you hemmatmahdi for your enlightenment. I am definitely going to get one now! Now, Im a little concern about how well it might run a program like Photoshop or some other RAM eating program like that.. Have you had any chances work with any programs as such?

As for running XP on an R400, I was wondering that also. I actually called Toshiba on that issue some time ago, unfortunately the guy I spoke to didnt seem to know a lot about the machine and just gave me a 'No, its not able to run XP.' and said, '..its not made for it.' But I doubt he knew what he was talking about. So the question still remains.

How is the screen on the R400? Can it be easily scratched? I have heard there is some sort of protection on the screen of some kind..?

Im a little concern about the battery life. You mentioned you had purchased a battery expansion, how much more life can you get with the expansion?

Awww maaan!! I cant wait to get one soooon!!