Prospective T902 buyers: A list of warnings

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by Jcase, Dec 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SuperFlyBoy

SuperFlyBoy Scribbler - Standard Member

I think that for the primary bay (like in the MacBook pro), the drive can be at least 9.5mm.

I would have put my 1 TB drive there, but then the secondary drive would only be SATAI

However, someone else posted in another thread that the secondary bay hard drive height has to be 7mm...

2. BigDragon

BigDragon Pen Pal - Newbie

Have you ever opened Task Manager to take a peek at everything going on in the background? It is likely that there is too much crap running. The default loadout for this machine has a lot of ridiculous bloat in it. There are a lot of utility programs and annoying little background programs that distract the PC from focusing on your pen commands. Try elevating the priority of the ISD process and your art program. I have this identical problem on an Asus EP121, Motion Computing LE1700, and experienced it on the Fujitsu T902 I just received.

Mine is doing that. It is ridiculously annoying. I've solved it by getting rid of the auto rotation utility and manually rotating through Windows Mobility Center. This doesn't bother me as my Motion Computing LE1700 (the tablet the T902 is intended to replace) as it's auto-rotation system is pretty bad too when the tablet is laid flat.

None of the other things in your post got my attention as I am not experiencing them. I recently got a Fujitsu T902 from Newegg Open Box. I couldn't resist the discount and figured I'd give it a try or return it if there was a major problem. The performance is exactly what I wanted, the build quality is good, the screen is beautiful, but attempting to use it in tablet mode with the digitizer for drawing very quickly revealed why this unit was returned. If I draw a 6x6 grid of evenly-spaced dots on the screen only 7 of them in the center-left area will be accurate. All of the others are off, some quite significantly and commonly in different ways (little left or stylus sometimes or little right and below). I have not yet found a way to calibrate this problem away as it is all over the screen and not just at the edges. It is not acceptable for the digitizer to only be 20% accurate.

I bought the T902 to replace a Motion Computing LE1700. That thing has never been calibrated and does not need it. If I repeat the 6x6 test on that machine 29 of the dots will align perfectly with 6 of them being off due to a normal perception issue caused by looking at the far side of the screen from where my head is with 1 more at the center top of the screen being off due to some strange bubble-effect going on. If I repeat the test on my Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 34 of the dots will be perfect with anomalies only at the bottom left and right corner areas. I'm not sure why this T902 is so bad in terms of digitizer accuracy. If it can't be calibrated away it's going back to Newegg.

3. Jcase

Jcase Pen Pal - Newbie

BigDragon, et al, I have some interesting updates to my issues. Really, just one interesting update. It's called Windows 8, and it turns out, it was the source of nearly all my problems.

Restoring my machine to factory defaults made the experience night and day different, and for the better. None of the trackpad issues, or the permanently misaligned orientation, or the lockups, etc., etc... Now, I upgraded to Windows 8 with the assumption that things wouldn't be entirely smooth, but a lot of other people seemed to have no issues upgrading, and I wanted to see what the touch experience would be like. Well, in every respect, after slogging through Fujitsu's driver upgrades, it was worse. And really, it shouldn't be. It was supposedly designed with Windows 8 in mind, right? Are other people able to get Win8 working without problems?

At any rate, the machine is solid again, but I do intend to replace it with something else, in spite of its being a terrific computer in many respects. I just don't have the patience to navigate software bugs every time Windows update does its thing, or god forbid, I try to install Redmond's new OS. I'm also interested in a lower profile form factor vs. the raw power this thing has under the hood, and there are some compelling options coming soon.

So, if my efforts to sour everyone against this machine in my darkest hours have not, in fact, soured you, I'll be listing my T902 on eBay, along with a 16 GB RAM upgrade from Gskill. I'm just looking to get my money out of it without paying restocking fees, so there's a good deal to be had for someone who missed those Newegg open box deals. To reiterate, the problems I had were really all related to Windows 8 and Fujitsu's drivers for said OS, and having gone around and around with the machine, I can now say that everything works as I'd expect other T902s to work at factory settings.

The auction goes up tomorrow at 10 AM. I'll post a link then.

What a ride it's been!

4. Jcase

Jcase Pen Pal - Newbie

Well, it looks like Newegg's willing to waive my RMA fees, so I won't be doing an auction after all... sorry!

5. utopian201

utopian201 Scribbler - Standard Member

6. Jcase

Jcase Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm looking at the Thinkpad Helix, the Kupa x15 (though as others have found, they don't return e-mails), or, possibly, the Surface Pro. The Surface Pro looks great, but not having 8 GB of RAM is a problem for my work. The Helix looks pretty sweet though.

I was talking to a coworker today about TabletPCs and Windows 8 today. He was dubious about Windows 8's driver solutions for tablets... I guess he had problems with his Asus tablet too and rolled back to Win7. I'm hoping against hope that the PCs that are made for Windows 8, and shipping months after its release, will work correctly.

7. msgnyc

msgnyc Pen Pal - Newbie

Kupa 15 is very intriguing, but little to no info about it is disappointing.

Tablet itself looks pretty nice. Love the swapable batteries and the kb dock looks great. Only possible downside imo may be the active digitizer. Hopefully it's Wacom this time around as the X11 wasn't.

8. BigDragon

BigDragon Pen Pal - Newbie

I ended up doing a factory restore to my T902 too. It was still acting up with the rotation and the digitizer precision being awful. I ended up trying to sandwich the screen together because I recall upon receiving the unit it looked like the bezel had been opened at some point. Maybe it was repaired, maybe the previous owner tried to get in there....don't know. While sandwiching the screen between my hands something clicked or snapped into place an inch or two below the webcam. Since then the touch has been working flawlessly (no more multiple registrations) and the automatic rotation has been behaving (also calibrated it). The pen input got better, but still required calibration since the cursor always drifted towards the center of the screen. I have no idea what I did inside the machine, but it definitely helped.

I've decided to keep this T902. This thing is a beast when it comes to using airbrushes and blending tools in my art programs. Way more responsive than my LE1700 or Note 10.1. I put an SSD on order and will reload the machine with my software load tomorrow hopefully. This machine has a lot of quirks, but I have happily completed a painting and sketch with it so it can do the job it was bought to do.

9. monkey13

monkey13 Scribbler - Standard Member

10. Aman

Aman Scribbler - Standard Member

If you want a high end Tablet PC with High processing speed,especially for sketching please consider ModBook Pro instead.
    I never will suggest any artist to buy Lifebook T902.

(Few other good reasionably priced options may be available if slightly lesser screen size of about 12.2 inches or slightly lesser processing speed is not problem with you,which ultimately depends on the nature of work you do:higher canvas sizes or heavy artwork needs more powerful Tablet PC.)

I suggest that you see this thread as your Guide to make a proper decision:

General info:Selecting a good tablet or stylus for sketching • KDE Community Forums

If you still want to buy Lifebook T902,
    Please do see these complain threads:

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/tablet-pc-life/55374-fujitsu-t502-pen-calibration-problems.html

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/fuj...t-top-left-corner-screen-using-digitizer.html

Fujitsu Technology Solutions - Forum • View topic - CALIBRATION ISSUES! (T900)

Fujitsu cheated me,I dont want it to cheat you.
    You generally don't get this problems in ModBook Pro.
    See how well Modbook Manages:

Axiotron Modbook Apple Tablet PC - Drawing Perspective with a Ruler - YouTube

You can see in the above video how accurately one can draw stuff with the ruler on Modbook Pro.

Disclaimer:

Note that I am not anyway Affilated with ModBook Inc.I a just am Angry customer of Lifebook T902 who is a young Car designer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.