Proper Calibration Approach for Screen

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Steve S, May 11, 2013.

1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

2. dream3

dream3 Scribbler - Standard Member

3. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Another question: Has anyone figured out how to get this to play nicely with screen rotation?

4. sweeptheleg

sweeptheleg Pen Pal - Newbie

that would be awesome. this tablet is so close to perfect for my art needs if it just had some simple software to be aware of rotation and flip it when the tablet flips. or let us calibrate from each orientation.

5. DragonGamer

DragonGamer Pen Pal - Newbie

Again a question... Is this method working with the Wacom drivers? I mean its not only for the stock driver so you cannot use pressure in PS, etc, right?

6. dream3

As far as I know, as far as my research went, It doesnt work with wacom drivers.

I wanted it to work badly cause wacoms calibration SUCKS HARD.

But it seems wacom drivers will override any kind of previous calibrations.

7. SDreamer

SDreamer Scribbler - Standard Member

Annoyed with calibrating using the 4-points that Wacom provides, I decided to give this a shot, and surprisingly it seems to stick, and it works a tiny bit better than the 4 points (I still cannot get it as good as I've had it on other devices for some reason).

Some things to note:
    • You need to run calibration in all orientations to get proper orientation.
    • Make sure you are using your most natural writing/drawing posture when you calibrate.
    • This is only 100 points, not 273 points.
    • If you're in landscape, use the "Landscapes" and for portrait use "Portraits"
    • If you need to add more points, portrait coordinates are literally the inverse of landscape coordinates.

Code:
    Landscapes
    tabcal lincal novalidate XGridPts=10,60,110,360,660,960,1260,1560,1860,1910 
    YGridPts=10,60,170,330,490,650,810,970,1020,1070

Portraits
    tabcal lincal novalidate XGridPts=10,60,170,330,490,650,810,970,1020,1070 
    YGridPts=10,60,110,360,660,960,1260,1560,1860,1910
    What's so annoying about having to calibrate is when you hand your device to someone else to show it off, especially being a lefty in a world of righties, calibration is off for them, and if they notice they'll call the device bad, lol. Almost forgot to mention, I do have Wacom still installed when I did this. I've given it a restart as well to see if settings stick, and they seem to stick.

To get calibration to work, you need to calibrate in each orientation. Wish Microsoft could just invert the offset that is gained from this so you would have to only do it twice, or maybe average the offset from one calibration and apply it to each orientation. Without a strong push for stylus, its hard to see Microsoft putting effort to improving this. Hopefully with Mr. Gates in a more prominent position of influence on their products, he might be able to push for it again.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  8. dream3

I didnt get it. I need to run calibration for portrait mode even though I use it only on landscape?

Or you mean every time people switch orientations they should calibrate again?

Also, I got the feeling that if I run calibration in landscape, then do it on portrait, the first calibration settings for landscape would be somewhat off.

9. cleft

cleft Scribbler - Standard Member

Has anyone tried this http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/showthread.php?p=375587

10. dream3