Professional Solder Service for Internal USB Storage Modification

Discussion in 'Dell' started by xboxexpert, May 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ryudo

ryudo Pen Pal - Newbie

sounds good, wish i didnt skip out on those 34$ 128gb pny 3.0's

recdna likes this.
  2. recdna

recdna Pen Pal - Newbie

What would really be cool is more ram. I can use micro sd for storage memory. Good luck with that project. 512 gb storage is amazing.

Sent from my Hyperdriven Note 3

3. inaudible101

inaudible101 Pen Pal - Newbie

So I did this mod with two 128GB drivers. Do you have any idea how or if it's possible to software raid them so they show as one large drive? I've done some googling and it just looks like it may not be possible with USB drives. If anyone is familiar with third party software that can do this I'd love some info.

4. peter.j.caldwell

peter.j.caldwell Pen Pal - Newbie

I just got my Dell Venue 8 Pro 64gb back from Derek (eBay name trublu_iti6295ma) with a new 128gb internal drive. He found he could only add one 128gb internal drive to this model, but it's really excellent to have all the extra storage room. I'm really impressed. I would not be surprised if Dell considers offering DV8Pro's with 192gb as an option. Derek relocated the recovery partition to my new internal V: drive, meaning my C: drive now has lots if extra space. I don't notice any reduction in battery life. The new drive has good read and write times, ans is certainly very useable. Recommended to anyone who wants to get the most out of their DV8Pro.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. peter.j.caldwell

I should have said that Derek is known as Mikerman on this Forum.

6. peter.j.caldwell

Or possibly xboxexpert - I'm confused! Regardless, he does really excellent work, and I highly. Recommend his service.

7. Mikerman

Mikerman Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Wish I were that it was me, it's not--I don't have that kind of talent . . . .

8. xboxexpert

xboxexpert Pen Pal - Newbie

My names Derek. Hello Mikerman nice to meet you.

Also, minor edit: My eBay name is "trublupt"

9. xboxexpert

I should have pics of a 512GB Dell Venue 64GB Pro today. I already soldered the wires last night just waiting on the chips from Amazon today.

10. xboxexpert

Just got a chance to upload the pics of the 512GB 64GB Venue 8 I did for a user. I did things a litter different to get it all in there nicely. Take a look at how I side by sided the chips and used one power wire and one ground wire for both.

<iframe width='480' height='360' src="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/xboxexpert/embed/slideshow/Dell%20Venue%208%20Pro/Dell%20Venue%208%2064GB%20512GB%20Mod"></iframe>

EasterEgg: I lifted a pad on the USB Stick see if you can see where I followed the trace and soldered directly to the trace you can see orig image in Photobucket, micro-soldering at its very best. I forgot the iron was on 800F to pull the usb header off! :*(

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.