Professional illustrator in need of buying advice

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by lealla, Jun 8, 2017.

1. lealla

lealla Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm a professional illustrator, and I need to buy a new laptop / 2-in-1 tablet combo / stylus. (Not Apple)

I currently use my cintiq for all my work, but it would be great to be able to take some of my work away from the desk, especially for sessions with clients.

Despite loving all my wacom products, I'm just not that keen on the Wacom Mobile studio. This is less of a cost problem, and more due to the fact that I would prefer something that is still somewhat like a laptop, with a keyboard. I also feel that the Wacom mobile studio seems a bit heavy and clunky by comparison...

Anyway, here we go:

1. What is your budget?

up to $2500 AUD

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?
    No

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?
    Notebook convertible

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    • 10 to 13-inches
    • Above 13-inches

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]?
    Australia

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?
    No Asus or apple

7. How many hours battery life do you require?
    Ideally up to 5

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)

I will primarily be using it for drawing (Photoshop/painter), however I will also be doing a bit of page layout/google-sketch up and email/web.

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently?

It must run windows.

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)
    Primary: Photoshop / Painter, Secondary: Adobe Illustrator/Indesign, thirdly Microsoft office/Firefox ect.

11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.
    No

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system?
    No

Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution?
    Ideally 1080
    2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance
    No

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom EMR, AES or N-trig?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance
    Yes, as close to a wacom as possible.

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory?
    Ideally 500GB min

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?
    A few USBs is important and HDMI is also good.

Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?

I'm quite keen on the idea of a lenovo, however I'm worried about the drawing experience and whether or not it is something that I'll be comfortable using, or if I'll end up just abandoning it in favour of my cintiq.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
  2. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

You might want to do as I'm doing; keep an eye on the upcoming Samsung Notebook 9 series. -Both the 13 and 15.6" versions will use Wacom EMR.

Discussion thread:

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/thr...d-15-flippers-with-windows-10-and-spen.72302/

If the reviews are good when they start shipping, it might be the machine you're looking for.

3. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm currently on the Yoga 720 15 bandwagon. It's an exceptional value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  4. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

OP, since you specified a notebook convertible that "as close to Wacom Cintiq as possible" and listed devices at the 10" to 13" range as acceptable... Perhaps you don't prioritize the bigger 15" screens as heavily as the rest of us... in that case there are some other convertibles to consider alongside the 2 top picks mentioned above.

Here is all the current Wacom EMR (very similar experience to Wacom Pro EMR) convertibles:

Samsung Note book 9 @thatcomicsguy mentioned (upcoming)
    Fujitsu T936
    Fujitsu T726
    Toshiba Z20t-C (detachable)
    ...aaaaand thats it. Almost everything has gone Wacom AES now, which may not be a terrible thing, the jury is still undecided and it's obviously pretty subjective. Their are some others in slate form factor, but for convertible form factor that's it unless you start diving into previous generations.

Of course, the king of painting still belongs to the fabled Fujitsu T90-- err I mean--, Wacom Mobile Studio Pro since it is literally the same Wacom Pro cintiq experience your used to in a portable slate, but it sounds like your looking for a convertible and I'm sure your already aware of Wacom's tablet offerings.

Lapostata and thatcomicsguy like this.
  5. surfaceproartist

There's also a Yoga 720 13.

6. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I would get the upcoming:

Samsung Notebook 9 Pro S
    • 15.6" 16:9 1080p Wacom EMR, i7-7500U, 16GB DDR4, Radeon RX 540, 256 GB SSD, 54Wh battery
    • 2 USB 3.0, 1 USB-C charging, HDMI, MicroSD, HP/Mic, DC-in
    • 13.67” x 9.41” x 0.67” @ 3.79lbs lbs (1.7 kg)
    Price TBA but almost certainly will fall under 2500 AUD.

7. surfaceproartist

Don't underestimate the impact on workflow and performance of a relatively rare HQ quad core processor.

8. Marty

I would agree, but from the the OP's specific comments wanting EMR and 1080p resolution:

The specs of the Notebook 9 15" seem almost a perfect match! :thumbsup:

9. surfaceproartist

For what it's worth, the drawing experience on a MobileStudio Pro is vastly superior to the Galaxy Book. The S-Pen flavor of EMR and latest gen AES are really neck and neck now.

10. Marty

Interesting. What are the main differentiating factors that you notice?