Product Of The Year 2018

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by desertlap, Dec 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

lovelaptops likes this.
  2. djas

djas Graffiti User

Does the Surface 3 counts? It's the only PC I have :)

Starlight5 likes this.
  3. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Does my Nintendo Switch count? I got it January 2018 and it's been unconditional love since then. :rolleyes:

4. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Got it. Coupla thoughts/questions:

1) Does Lenovo deserve full credit when both its quality control and customer support - even with bus. class devices, from what I've read, is sub-par? Designing a near-perfect product - even at a high price point - usually earns one a small but meaningful market share, but I would argue that the entire effort becomes a fail when the quality and support aren't top rate. I wonder if that better explains its lack of market acceptance.

2) Given what premium prices the market bears for products like Macs and Surface Books, both of which are flawed in many ways and are missing critical features they should have, but because they stand for the highest quality products being produced they sell well and command ultra high prices.

I don't profess to have the answers here, just suggesting that what drives consumer adoption is more than features and specs, and that Lenovo could use some navel-gazing time to decide what it wants it's brands to stand for. "X1" could be a 3rd premium brand, but has some work to do to earn that positioning. "ThinkPad" has lost that over the past 5 yrs, IMO.

5. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

I'm not sure about the designation of the highest quality products being produced...not with the driver & update/firmware fiasco's with the Surface line, flickergate, pen jitter/interference etc.
    Microsoft products only have good support if you live w/in the US/Canada and near to a Microsoft store. EDIT AND have Complete.

What Microsoft has at it's advantage is mindshare, it's managed to step into a niche that Apple has either lost interest in or lost control of since they refuse to make regular and meaningful updates to their laptop line.

Thinkpad sadly has not maintained it's reputation since being taken over my Lenovo. In my personal experience they've been much quicker to respond to hardware issue's than Microsoft has been(maybe that has worsened in the timeframe you've referenced), and have international support.

But they will never be considered as sexy or desirable as the Macbook & Surface lines no matter what functionality/features they offer.

6. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

I guess I'd like to nominate Huawei Mate 20 X.
    It is the first device to challenge Samsung in the sub 10" penabled device strata.

Some of still kling to Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 from 2013 and Asus Vivo Tab Note 8 from 2015. Somehow the Huawei gives me hope that there is still life in that niche market.

Starlight5 and WillAdams like this.
  7. sitongia

sitongia Scribbler - Standard Member

I'd have to say the One Netbook One Mix 2S Yoga Pocket Laptop, although I don't have one. I have a GPD Pocket 1, and I'd say it works really great running Ubuntu Linux (sure, and runs Windows 10 well, too). These little devices have plenty of RAM and storage. It's a very convenient size and it's power enough for lots of work. The One Netbook Yogas fold, of course, and have a stylus (which I've heard only a very little about-I think it's an active one, but I don't know which), so it fits into the tablet PC category. I'm really tempted to get this Yoga for the stylus, but my old(er) GPD Pocket 1 continues to work well, so it's hard to pitch it.

jnjroach likes this.
  8. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

I'm very intrigued by these new "tiny" laptops though for my needs they haven't reached the price/performance intersection that would motivate me to purchase - actually, it seems that the latest model has sufficient performance, but it is still more than I would spend for a "tertiary" computer. That said, I really think they need to drop "Netbook" from their marketing because those devices, while revolutionary, were so dramatically under-powered that the term unduly penalizes the true performance gains in the latest models.