Product Of The Year 2018

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by desertlap, Dec 21, 2018.

1. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So @JoeS suggestion, I wanted to start a thread for product of the year. No real rules, but something that had an impact that you may have purchased/used this year.

Also a good opportunity to highlight something that others would like but might have missed

For me:
    1.Surface Go- great combination of design, form factor, compatibility and price
    2. Runner up- HP Spectre - beautiful overall design and innovative hinge
    3. Runner up- Samsung Galaxy Book 2- Amazing battery life and screen, Solid built in LTE and surprisingly decent performance, if you are judicious with your apps

thatcomicsguy and JoeS like this.
  2. dellaster

dellaster "Apple Fanboy" Senior Member

I'll have to go with the HP Spectre Folio even though it's not for me. The convertible hinge is both clever *and* useful. The integral leather casing is equally brilliant: wow, using a material for the exterior that doesn't itself need a protective casing—that's crazy! Lastly, the just-enough processor. My Yoga 710 has a previous-gen i5-7Y54 which was a pleasant surprise after my experience with the 6th-gen m5 in a Surface 4. I could even play Skyrim on it (720p, Low settings, 20-25 fps). I imagine the 8th Gen i7-Y is hitting the sweet spot for low-power portable productivity, which is what this device is made for.

All-in-all a truly impressive package. Kudos to HP.

3. Dwig

Dwig Pen Pal - Newbie

I think that using "impact" on the Internet discussion (forums like this, YouTube and its ilk, ...) as a measure the winner, hands down and going away, it the MS Surface Go.

There are other great new products out there, but the only one that comes close to creating nearly as much buzz is the new iPad 2018 models and a very large part of that buzz is either negative (bendgate, ...) or a mix of the endless iPP vs Surface Pro discussions.

4. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Based on the response on this forum this one is a dud, but my vote for product of the year is the Lenovo X1 Tablet (product page / Lisa review / TPCR thread). It's all the power of an X1 Carbon but in a Surface Pro-like form factor, with a 13" screen that has a 3:2 aspect ratio, unlike the X1 Carbon and the X1 Yoga. And unlike the Surface Pro, it has two thunderbolt ports with eGPU support, as well as a keyboard cover that includes the good ole trackpoint! All in all, I'd say this is the full package.

upload_2018-12-21_12-57-37.png

desertlap likes this.
  5. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I vote for Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Extreme/P1 twins.

[​IMG]

Not a yoga 2 in 1, but it does fold flat and the combination of 15.6" 4K AES 2.0 screen with ~95% Adobe RGB, Hexacore i7 with 2 SoDIMM slots and 2 NVMe slots and GTX 1050Ti with 4GB for only 4lbs weight makes it pretty much my dream pen based workstation.

Starlight5, dellaster and JoeS like this.
  6. dellaster

dellaster "Apple Fanboy" Senior Member

Good choice. If they made an X1 Yoga Extreme, same specs, it would all be over except for saving up my pennies.

(I use presentation mode all the time, thus Yoga, and I can't reasonably expand my off-grid solar setup to accommodate more than around 100W, thus an eGPU in a regular TP Yoga won't work for me.)

Edit—Hm, since the X1 Extreme's screen opens all the way flat, putting it on a desktop arm might get the ergonomics I desire, with my favorite keyboard and mouse...

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
    Starlight5 and JoeS like this.
  7. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

This is why the OEM's have started giving us good enough...

8. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Shucks. The last time I bought a computer product which was made in the same year as my purchase... Was 2017.

FWIW, notwithstanding its irritating limitations, the Samsung Notebook 9 pro still beats everything else hands down as far as I can tell, imho.

Not that it matters to me personally, but I kinda hope their update doesn't suck. But no USB 3 ports? No HDMI out? I dunno...

9. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Pardon my slow-wit, but huh?

10. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Actually I wasn't 100% sure myself either! :) The best I could come up with is that Lenovo made the perfect device, but nobody buys it because the perfect device costs too much for most users. Not too many people care enough about perfection (or don't have the need) to make it profitable to design to perfection.

That's just my wild guess though. @DRTigerlilly, if you could take a quick break from ogling your new Galaxy Book 12, is that something close to what you meant?

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
    lovelaptops and DRTigerlilly like this.