Processor Upgrades to C310 models?

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by vortex1970, Jan 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Don Komarechka

Don Komarechka Pen Pal - Newbie

2. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I always find it tough to answer this. I believe that if you have the knowledge, skills, tools and don't care if you accidentally destroy your tablet, the CPU can be swapped out. Keep in mind that it is most likely soldered to the board. I would personally elect to sell my old tablet on ebay and then buy an upgraded model.

3. vortex1970

vortex1970 Pen Pal - Newbie

Don,

you need a CPU based on socket 479M FCPGA as this one is for notebooks. You can find Socket 478 on boards for desktops, but the mechanism the CPU is fixed on it is different to that one you can find on notebooks. Notebook CPUs are fixed to the board with a single screw, so i think this will answer your question of how easy the replacement would be.

Look here for a picture of the 479 socket

http://translate.google.com/transla...%22AOpen+gibt+die+Vielseitigkeit%22&hl=en&lr=

The page is Google-translated from german.

I don't know if a higher CPU is accepted by the build-in board (BIOS) of your Acer, but it's an interesting aspect. Here in Germany the highest version of Acer's C310 series is the C312. You can only get the new C200 series with 2Ghz. So let me know if you feel heroic and try the hack, as i would follow the leader ;-)

Greets,
    Frank

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.