Problems with Toshiba M400 and their customer service

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by Tsukiyomi, Oct 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tsukiyomi

Tsukiyomi Scribbler - Standard Member

I just wanted to see if any one else has had problems with their M400 and Toshiba tech support.

Here's my story:
    - I ordered my M400 in May, and received at the end of June - why they had a month long build time, I do not know.
    - From day 1, my M400's fan was overly loud, orignally, just an annoyance, but the computer ran slower and slower to the point that the mouse cursor would skip across the screen. I called Toshiba and they had me take it to a service centre to get it repaired - they replaced the system board and the fan and returned it to me after two weeks. Same problem happens. I needed it for class and resorted to rebooting it everytime it ran slowly until I finished my summer classes.

- Call Toshiba again, and they say they will look at the machine by taking it to their depot. So I brought it to the UPS store and sent my tablet in. About two-three weeks later, they return it to me, saying they replaced the system board. Now, by this time, Toshiba has had the tablet longer than I have already.

- Problem persists! I call them again, and they want me to bring it to another service centre to have it looked at. If they didn't fix the problem with the same machine the first two times, they probably wouldn't fix it again, especially since I sent it to the Toshiba Depot, where their certified technicians are supposed to look it over.

- I talk to a bunch of Indian sounding people before finding one that would let me talk to Customer Relations. I thought, "finally, someone with enough power to replace my tablet." I explain my situation and they tell me that since I've had 2 major repairs in the past 3 months and the same recurring problem, they will take my tablet and send me a new M400 with "Like-for-like" specs that will meet or exceed those of my current machine. I agree and dutifully package up my tablet and its accessories to prepare to send it to them.

- A week passes and no response from them, I call back, having to run the guantlet of tech support people - they will not let me speak to the customer relations directly (each time, this is about half an hour or more), get CR on the line and they tell me that they will send me an email with instructions on how to return my machine for replacement.

- Finally I get my shipping label, and an agreement that comes with it saying that they will ship me my replacement when they receive notice that UPS has shipped my tablet. I think, "okay good, so its August now" and I haven't been able to use this machine so far, but I'll finally get a working tablet."

- I bring my tablet to the UPS store, they give me the tracking number and a couple days later, Toshiba calls and tells me that since they received the number, they will make me a new tablet. They also offer to upgrade the tablet for a price, but I decline.

- Three weeks after the tablet is delivered to Toshiba, I still had not received my replacement, wondering what's going on, I call them again to find out - turns out they haven't started building one for me. The rep then tells me that they found a suitable machine for me - one with P4, XP home, 512 ram, and a 60 gig HD. Wait a minute, my original machine was a Core Duo, 1 gig ram, and a 80 gig HD with tablet xp. Apparently, they were going to ship me a normal satellite.

- A few hours later, the rep calls back and tells me that they found a M400 for me, and I ask for the specs - the M400 they are offering me is less than my original M400. I ask for a M400 that matches my original M400 and they tell me that this is the only machine that they can offer me. I tell them that they have had my computer longer than I have had it and that I paid for certain specs when I bought my machine.

- Resolution: I eventually had to call my credit card and tell them of my situation, the rep from the CC tells me to call Toshiba one more time and try to resolve the issue: either they give me a working tablet at least to my original specs (seeing as the original tablet I ordered has now gone down in price, while the money that Toshiba has from me has gone up in value - they are getting more than my money's worth out of me). So I listen to my CC rep and call Toshiba, asking them if they can give me a working machine that at the very least meets my original specs. Their response was that "No, we cannot build you another machine, this is all we have to offer you." I was then forced to tell my credit card to proceed to obtaining a refund as I was not getting what I paid for.

While the M400 was a good concept, the machine that I received was terrible, and their customer service even worse. Hopefully my story can serve as a warning when considering a M400. Maybe my story is the only horror story, but after experiencing what was the worst customer service in the world, I'm not so sure.

2. L8RICH

L8RICH Pen Pal - Newbie

Contact the Better Business Bureau. Toshiba gave me the runaround on a very simple issue. After dealing with them for a month and being refused access to someone with authority, I contacted the BBB. Within a week my problem was resolved by a very apologetic manager for CR.

I can tell you that I love using my M400. I'm sorry that they are ruining a great computer for you.

3. Tsukiyomi

Thats a good idea, I will refer my problem to them come the next business day. About not being able to access someone with authority, I remember asking for the customer relations rep's supervisor, and she told me that she had none and all requests must come through her.

4. andy2006

andy2006 Pen Pal - Newbie

unfortunately the m400 was discontinued round about that time if memory serves me right so that might be why they were unable to offer you a replacement. Having said that they should have given you a machine of equal specs like a tecra m7 etc. Ive found toshiba to be fair when it comes to customer service and havnt had a problem yet.

5. okashira

okashira Scribbler - Standard Member

The m400 is not discontinued, lol. They can very well give him a replacement, they just choose not to.

6. SimsHsia

SimsHsia "I will do science to it" Senior Member

The previous generation Toshiba tablets, such as the M200, R10 and R15, and M4 have been discontinued. The new lineup of the M400, R20 and R25, and the M7 are the current new generation Tablet PCs available from Toshiba. :)

7. andy2006

andy2006 Pen Pal - Newbie

oh right. Thought they were d/c because when i tried to order one from toshiba they were no longer selling them. I ended up getting a tecra m7 which im very happy with.

8. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Ehh..... please show me the link to this!

9. Tsukiyomi

Yes, for some reason, they simply kept telling me that they could not build me another M400. One might draw the conclusion that M400s were discontinued, but looking at their website right now, I can configure the exact same M400 as I had before, just that they chose not to build one - really how hard could it be?

10. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Ahhh.... building one to spec and picking a tablet from a series of spec items available are two different things.
    The tablets are pre-configured, you simply pick the one you require.

Whilst your plight with Toshiba does not surprise me, I am still confused why they are being less co-operative, especially as now they have your credit card company to deal with as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.