Problems with grub/Ubuntu/Vista

Discussion in 'Linux on Tablet PC Forum' started by IamGibby, Sep 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drubru

drubru Pen Pal - Newbie

I have an HP tx2z laptop with a 320 GB HDD and decided to install Ubuntu 8.04(64 bit) onto it, but I wanted to put it on my external hard drive, 180 GB HDD(I think that's how big it is). I would've just done v9.04, but the install wouldn't recognize my external HDD, so I just went with the older one. I do guided install on the entire external HDD and ubuntu works wonderfully on it. So I decide to switch back over to vista; I power down the computer, unplug the HDD, and restart the computer WHEN... I stare at a message with some gibberish about grub step 1.5 and 'error 21' and the computer does nothing after that. When I start the computer with the usb HDD plugged in, however, it gives me the option to choose between the operating systems and Vista loads fine.
    I would like to just be able to run Vista without the external drive attached and just run ubuntu with the external drive attached. Please help!

2. drubru

drubru Pen Pal - Newbie

please respond! I need this fixed by tomorrow! Please help!

3. IamGibby

IamGibby Pen Pal - Newbie

You have the grub bootloader to go instead of the windows boot loader, and since Grub is on the linux partition (external) when you unplug it, it looks for grub to boot but can't find it.. If you plan on keeping linux on an external forever and it will be a conditional boot, you should switch back over to window's boot and configure it to give option to boot the linux partition so you can just click it when you have it plugged in. (I personally just triple boot my tx2)

Sorry to revive a dead post, but I wanted to put the answer up in case someone else came across this post with the same issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.