Problems using penned ink

Discussion in 'OneNote, Evernote and Organizers' started by Kumabjorn, Apr 21, 2014.

1. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Thanks to my Asus Vivo Tab Note 8 I'm becoming a more and more devoted user of OneNote, but I also run into some rather frustrating shortcomings.
    If I paste a document to go through it I will use the pen to make annotations, sometimes it is just circling a word or a phrase. Then I'll send it back to the originator but his or her screen resolution is different and my little circles, pointing to something that could be improved, is unclear or the opposite, very succinct (different colored pens) those circles will appear at completely different places than I intended, the same happens if the text is enlarged or shrunk.
    I've been searching high and low only to find out that you can't anchor inking to something like existing text.
    Doesn't that seem like a major fail for something meant to be used for annotations?

2. jnjroach

jnjroach Surface MVP Super Moderator

Because ink is treated like a font and is separate from anything else on the page it can be bee moved around freely. If you are using it to mark up documents for collaboration it would be better to save the .one file to PDF. OneNote is geared much more to individuals, it can be used for collaborative notes (I've used in the classroom for the "Q&A" and for meetings, but it was mostly free form inking).

For Highlighting and annotating documents I use Word (Inking is treated as comments attached to sections in the rest of Office) or DrawboardPDF.

Kumabjorn likes this.
  3. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Lately I've been wrestling with the following problem: the appearance of inked text in One Note is far inferior to that in Windows Journal. My handwriting is particularly poor, but I find that if I choose a mid-thickness, opaque "chisel" pen in WJ my handwriting is not only far more legible, but if I spend a little extra time, I can get it to be fairly attractive, attractive enough to use when I really need to write a handwritten note for a particular circumstance and, if I do so on stationery, I'll be well into my 6th draft (5th torn up copy!) before I decide to dramatically shorten the note to be something of a "cover note" - eg, in a card - and then have the rest typed out and printed on a less mechanical looking font, though clearly computer generated.

Long story short: why do the inking drivers for writing in ON (desktop version, using SP3 device and pen) so far inferior to those in WJ? It's the kind of difference I might expect in the Android version vs. the Windows version (though the reality is the opposite - Android has some very sophisticated and attractive handwriting/caligraphic (for non-caligraphers) but we're talking about the premiere note taking/handwriting program on the market vs. what amounts to a simple utility (ie, WJ), kind of like as if the formatting on Wordpad was far superior to that on MS Word 2013. (And on the subject, inking options and appearance in MS Word is pretty much on par with that in ON, again far inferior to WJ.

I'm looking at you, Mr. JN Roach :D, but of course any replies appreciated.

Best, Jeff

4. jnjroach

This is the Achilles Heel of OneNote and Office in general, The Office Team uses its own Ink API, where journal uses the Windows Ink API which has always performed better. Now we have the WinRT Ink API as well (OneNote uses this but not to the full effect). The WinRT Ink API is best implemented in Drawboard PDF, Bamboo Paper and Page, FreshPaint and a few others....

MS has a working group that is supposed to unify the Ink Technologies, but from a usability standpoint some of the Tablet PC Old Guard will like the Ink Improvements but will not like the approach that a Pen is a Pen and only a Pen (removing the mouse capabilities). So that when someone new to the platform picks up the Pen they know it is there to write...

5. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Thanks for the quick replay. OMG, do you think they would be stupid enough to eliminate the mouse/navigational/non-writing/artwork features of the pen from their tablet pc functionality? That really would be dreadful! Take away my request for prettier looking inking and leave me solidly in the "full functionality" camp! It never ceases to amaze me how large companies can put similar/overlapping product lines into separate "silos" and never recognize the synergies of taking the best of both. There are certainly times when a product like Windows Journal is actually the right tool for the job and One Note is either overkill or truly not as good as WJ for a particular purpose. But from all that I've read about how the majority of SP and Samsung Galaxy Note owners use their styli, it sounds like both companies need to educate the market that their pens have far more utility than as "note jotting" and "doodling" "apps," which is how the majority - of those who use their pens at all - use them! If they want to extract value (= market share!) from the differentiation their dramatic superiority among their peers in penabled infrastructure and performance can bring them, they would be wise to teach the market why these capabilities are worth as much as they are. Ya think:

6. jnjroach

Their usability studies show that pen usage increases when it is narrowly focused tool and that the vast majority of users want to navigate by Mouse or Touch not pen. Not sure if it will come to pass or not, this is a cross discipline working group made up of Office, Windows and R&D.

This is potentially the same thought process that will lead SST away from the traditional desktop paradigm as if the Pen is an Ink Tool and not a navigation tool you need to make the UI touch friendly and the Win32 Desktop is not that....