Problems, Issues, Concerns With Slate

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by Mhotep, Dec 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mhotep

Mhotep Scribbler - Standard Member

Thought I would start a thread for any issues or problems we may have with the Slate. Right now no real issues just a couple of concerns. The first is the USB slot on the top is a little hard to get usb memory stick into. I've tried about three and all are the same. Just takes a little force to get them in there. Also acouple of places on the back where the rubber cover on the back doesn't have a flush fit to the case. Overall though, no mechanical problems with the slate. I love it!

2. jgjackson

jgjackson Scribbler - Standard Member

I imagine the main intent for the usb plug on top is for 3G/"4"G USB sticks, which are somewhat bulky. It's probably a good thing its a little bit tight.

3. Rrbryce

Rrbryce Bob

[​IMG]

i've posted this a few places here so far, but this thread seems to be the proper place.

Autocad 2011 is installed on the slate (the reason I purchased the slate) and it's connected to a 27" hp monitor (for when I am working at a desk, or acctually a table in my case...) the screen resolution is fabulous, the mouse cursor flows smoothly across the ribbon, but when the cursor is in the drawing area, it jumps in very small increments). for those who use acad, it is as if the grid and snap toggles are on (they are not). this seems odd to me since the cursor moves smoothy across the ribbon, I don't think it's a hardware (horsepower) issue. i teach acad at a CUNY University and have been using ACAD since 1984, but that doesn't mean I have not failed to unselect some option setup, however, I have tried many configurations with the same result. btw, when using the slate screen, not a second monitor, the results are the same...jumping cursor.

bob

4. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

Bob,
    What are the minimum system requirements on AutoCad 2011? It may indeed be an oomph issue with the Atom and corresponding chipset. I have TurboCAD loaded on my 2730P but not any of my less powerful devices.

5. Rrbryce

Rrbryce Bob

i solved the jumping cursor issue by changing the snap setting from the default .5 to .00000000001

so now the cursor moves smoothly across the drawing area. images don't zoom smoothly, but that's a minor irritant. it does seem to lack the necessary horsepower to keep up with me, but overall, I could not be more pleased with this slate.

bob

6. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I LOVE MY SLATE.

No issues yet, other than the black ring on the pen top breaking off when I pulled it out of the folio case. Strange.

I just really wonder whether the single core Atom has the juice for bigtime graphics programs like Autocad and Adobe CS5? I don't use them, but folks I know who do say they lag on units like my dual core 2730p.

All that aside, this thing blows away my ipad so badly that only streaming video (and Angry Birds) have a leg up on the iPad. If they ever figure out how to squeeze about 8 hours out of the battery (come on HP, cheat like Apple and adopt the 10" screen size so you can stuff all that extra room with battery), tehy will rule the universe.

7. dceggert

Bob,
    So the jumping was actually the program 'jumping' to a node of the grid when you got within a certain distance? Interesting. I wonder why it would not do that with a mouse or drawing tablet.

I suppose it is still jumping but just a much smaller and imperceptible distance now....?

8. dceggert

Try RMClock (Rightmark CPU Utility) and see if the Atom can be undervolted. My LS800 (albiet an older processor with likely a bit more slop in the voltage specifications) achieves 4 hours and 45 minutes with the extended battery and 'power saving' mode. It gets 5 hours and 45 minitues with RMClock undervolting the processor. [Note: these are comparitive times as reported by the power program based on a full charge and represents a time estimate only].

RMClock does not affect performance by slowing the processor it just reduces the voltage it operates at, thereby extending battery run time and reducing heat.

I use it on my LS800 and my TC1100, both running Win 7 so that does not seem to be an issue.

The TC1100 is similar; 2 hours 15 minutes without, 3 hours and 30 minutes with.

Pretty amazing!

Update: I should put this in here - if anyone does try this out, contact me and I will assist with the settings. The program looks scary but it isn't.

Edit: this should probably be in the battery life thread.

9. ships10

ships10 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

How do u adjust the settings to undervolt it?

10. ghost74

ghost74 Scribbler - Standard Member

You do know you can turn the snap off. In the old days it toggled on/off with F9. In LT2010 there is an icon at the bottom to turn it on/off.

If the snap is off and it still jumps around when the snap setting is set to .5 then I'm really confused.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.