Problem with Type Cover Fingerprint Reader (SP3)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by mstoller, Apr 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mstoller

mstoller Pen Pal - Newbie

I've been using the type cover with fingerprint reader on my Surface Pro 3 for a few months.
    At least half the time I try to use the fingerprint reader, it just doesn't work.
    It's not a matter of not swiping my finger properly, it is as if the fingerprint reader just isn't functioning at all. No error message - you can swipe you finger over and over and it doesn't do anything. Eventually I end up logging in with a typed password, which works fine. Then, a few hours later the fingerprint reader works without issue.

I haven't been able to find a pattern with this and I'm curious if anyone else has had this happen - and, hopefully, found a solution.

This is not the first fingerprint reader I've used as I've had them installed or added on to my tablet PC's since my Motion Computing M1400, back in 2004. Most of them have worked fine, once I had figured out the correct angle to hold my finger for the swipe, etc.

Before I had purchased the type cover, I'd been using an Eikon Mini with my SP3 without any issues.

In case it matters: I'm running windows 10 pro version 1511 (build 10586.164). All recent updates (including the firmware update from 1/19/2016) have installed successfully.

2. Loki1973

Loki1973 Pen Pal - Newbie

Same here.

The fingerprint still shows as a valid means of authentication in the "Sign in options" on the lock screen, but it does nothing.

If I disconnect the keyboard and re-attach, everything works fine again for a while... Have you tried that?
    It must be a bug in the driver or firmware of the SP3.

3. greatg

greatg Scribbler - Standard Member

Same here as well. It's functionality is hit and miss.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.