Problem with Pen Randomly Clicking

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by tyedye, Apr 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tyedye

tyedye Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey all, just had a quick question regarding the pen on the slate 500.

For some reason, my pen has started to randomly click on-screen things even when the pen is not in contact with the screen. You can imagine how annoying this is when trying to use it or write, you end up with random dots everywhere! This problem doesn't happen all the time, and only started recently. I can't isolate the cause of it (no settings were changed to my knowledge), nor does any new program seemed to have caused this.

Anyone know where the settings are for this or how to fix it? The problem is also on and off, sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't. However, the problem is especially prevalent in the tablet input panel, even when the pen does not touch the screen, it reads them as intended dots/periods. Can you also turn off the setting where it zooms in on a word to edit it without touching the tablet? In other words, I want to have to intentionally touch a word to edit it rather than just hover over it. Also as another side note I don't use any screen protectors or anything like that.

Other than that and the random vectoring I get in OneNote sometimes, my slate has been great, an essential tool for taking notes in class (not trying to discourage anyone reading this, I really do love it). If anyone has any tips on how to get rid of the random vectoring in OneNote as well, that'd be greatly appreciated too!

Thanks all for your help!

2. thadwald

thadwald Scribbler - Standard Member

Try removing the battery from the pen, cleaning the contacts and reinstalling it.

Try calibrating the touchscreen from the n-trig menu.

Make sure your screen is perfectly clean; I have found that tiny pieces of crud stuck to the screen negatively effects the pen and touch accuracy and consistency.

Report back and let us know if any of these worked. :)

3. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Anyone know where the settings are for this or how to fix it?..>>

tye: Open the N-trig driver window (look for the N-trig icon in your System Tray) and perform a Screen Recalibration (button near the center of the window). That should suppress the behaviour during your session.

Some suspect that these phantom clicks are due to local electromagnetic interference from things like poorly-shielded fluorescent lamps, etc.

At the moment, there is no "permanent" fix...

4. TheWerewolf

TheWerewolf Care for a bite?

I took my Slate with me to England two weeks ago and used the EmPower power outlets on Air Canada, which are basically 110v outlets. When I plugged the Slate in directly via the cable hack - I started getting the random click problems in spades... So I ran the adapter through the battery in the hopes of using the battery as a filter - no go. I tried the Slate just on the battery - and instant cure.

So there does seem to be a solid bit of evidence that the quality of power supply has a definite influence on the random click issue.

Unfortunately, it's not the ONLY cause. I think static electricity can cause it as well. I've had the Slate go squirrely when I used it in mid-winter on the prairies (which is dry and staticiky).