Problem with evernote and eee note

Discussion in 'Asus (Android)' started by martin8x8, Nov 2, 2012.

1. MaxPower

MaxPower Pen Pal - Newbie

Same problem, germany.

Maybe our Eee Note is an End of Life Product? I hope not.

2. sarah11918

sarah11918 Pen Pal - Newbie

Can everyone else report whether they recently tried to change the time/date on their machine? Then at least we'll know whether that caused it.

Thanks!

3. BlacKnight

BlacKnight Scribbler - Standard Member

I haven't used my Eee Note since the clocks went back for winter, so I tried using Evernote sync before changing the clock. It failed with an "unable to log on" error. Then I changed the clock to winter time and it still failed. I verified that my Evernote account credentials still work form the web interface and with the Evernote local (Windows) client.

In the Eee Note clock settings there is no flag for DST, so the only way to change (when syncing with a time server) is to select a different time zone. IMO this means Evernote has no way of knowing that you have changed the clock for DST. So I don't think it's possible for Evernote to discriminate against Eee Notes who's clock time has been changed. I conclude that the problem is not connected with the clock on the Eee Note. I think that the remote login from the Eee Note to Evernote is broken. Probably due to some software change on the Evernote servers.

<Edit>
    I found this news post on the Evernote developers web site...
    So it looks like Evernote have changed their authentication for remote login, which means the Eee Note will no longer be able to upload to Evernote, unless the Eee Note client is updated.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  4. sarah11918

Thanks, I'll make sure to mention the API change to them when they respond to my support ticket. It sounds like you've figured out the problem, and so given that, maybe they'll be able to devise a solution for us.

5. Jmirko

Jmirko Pen Pal - Newbie

Well done BlacKnight for identifying the problem! Do I understand correctly that the ball is in Asus' court, i.e. they need to update the EeeNote firmware in order to get the sync working again?

6. sarah11918

I tried to give BlacKnight rep for that post, but apparently he's too good and I've already repped him too recently. :)

Unless someone here wants to write an OAuth hack...

I'm not prepared to fully let Evernote off the hook. They made the change that screwed everything up, so in theory, they could implement a change to their API that could work for us. They may not be willing to, but I think the fix will either come from:

1. ASUS updating software (which doesn't seem likely since I don't even know if the device is actually still on the market other than eBay)
    2. Evernote making another change to their API (or just re-validating our keys on an individual basis? I don't claim to know all the right lingo here)
    3. Someone here working on the ASUS software to allow OAuth

I would think action from ASUS is the least likely. At least, as a Premium Evernote subscriber, I am going to be listened to by Evernote support. They *can* do something, the question is will they. Where's pb when you need him? :)

7. sarah11918

UPDATE: Here's the latest from Evernote:

"The change to OAUTH is a permanent change, one we considered seriously, and did not undertake likely. As I said, we initially made the announcement of the intention to change over 6 months ago, (in individual contact to the developers themselves, as well as on our developer site, and on our forums).

Password authentication is simply not secure. We will not be making any exceptions to this change, for any applications.

I'm truly sorry for the inconvenience this causes you, but at Evernote, we value the security of our user's data above all else. We will not allow any API applications that do not adhere to our high standard of data protection."

I've sent one more email back, asking whether there's any advice they can offer us. I suspect they'll say no, but in the event they have a good idea, I'll post it. Otherwise, this is likely their final word.

8. T_B

T_B Scribbler - Standard Member

So I expect Asus is informed and will probably update the devices that are still supported. Eee note not being one of them.... Should not come as a surprise I guess.
    A hack might be a solution, but there are not a lot of devs around who could do it or even can tell us if this is possible. I guess Steve Ballmer was right (developers, developers, developers)

9. martin8x8

martin8x8 Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you all for the research work.
    I just send an email to ASUS (germany) and told them about the problem. I ask them if they plan to make an update for the eee note.
    We`ll see...
    Martin

10. MaxPower

MaxPower Pen Pal - Newbie

I think,i will sell my eee note:(

It doesnt make sense for me without Evernote. Also i have the "drawing without press" issue, no tweak helped....