Problem with Asus T103HAF, intermittent writing with Asus pen

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Luca92, Nov 18, 2019.

1. Luca92

Luca92 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello, I have Asus Transformers Mini T103 HAF that is equipped with active digitizer with pen, with N-trig technology. The writing is continuous if the hand does not touch the screen or if a handkerchief or anything insulating prevents direct contact between the hand and the screen, while it is intermittent if the hand touches the screen. In particular, the writing is intermittent if the hand touches the screen before the pen, while it is continuous if the pen touches the screen before the hand.

Of course, touch the screen every time first with the tip of the pen and then with the hand is uncomfortable and not natural and then leads to the problem of intermittent writing. All Windows updates, Bios updates, Asus updates, Active “ignore touch input when I use the pen” have been made, calibration has been done and many other attempts. I verified that the problem is not in the contact between my hand and the pen, but between my hand and the tablet (the screen). So by placing a conductive thing on the screen like my hand, this problem occurs. The videos on this Youtube channel that describe this problem are a total of 4.

I also changed the pen, but the problem is not in the pen (the old pen is on the left of the PC).
    Thanks, bye,

Luca

2. crazycat

crazycat Scribbler - Standard Member

This is likely a problem of short hover distance. Notice when you bring the pen close to the device without touching the display, a cursor appear? If your palm touch the display after it detect pen and show the pen cursor, palm rejection would activate and won't trigger touch. Generally the shorter the hover distance, the slower the screen detect pen and the easier it is to accidently trigger touch. Try putting your pen near the display to see the furthest distance from the display that the cursor can show up. Has it always been like that or just recently? Is it after a Windows update or just happen all of the sudden?

Some bad digitizer only recognize pen input upon touching the display (aka no hover distance), that look a lot like how your pen performed. If that is the case then the only thing you can do is wearing a drawing glove. If it has not always been like that and still have warranty then try bring it to repair.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019 at 11:00 PM
  3. Luca92

Luca92 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello, first of all thanks for the reply. As you can see from this video:
    even without touching the screen the pen is detected and the touchscreen is deactivated, when I move the pen away the touch screen works normally. Does this mean that the palm rejection is present right? Or do you need anything else to say that the palm rejection is present? I had bought this device because it had the n-Trig digitizer the same as the Microsoft Surface and so since it's the same company and the same component in my opinion the palm rejection is present, only it doesn't work well. What do you think about it?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019 at 11:38 AM