Problem using External SDXC on ME180A

Discussion in 'Asus (Android)' started by DavidS, Mar 13, 2014.

1. DavidS

DavidS Pen Pal - Newbie

I seem to have a file system problem when using a Sandisk 64GB SDXC card in my recently purchased ASUS MeMO Pad 8 (ME180A) and wondered whether anyone else has experienced a similar problem.

Asus claim that the ME180A supports 64GB SDXC so I thought I should be OK. All worked fine until I loaded the card with around 15GB of data (photos, music and home videos). This is made up of around 2000 files spread between around 250 directories/sub-directories. Most of the time all works fine but at the first startup all access to the external SD caused the file manager to hang (I have tried ASUS File Manager, ES File Explorer and File Expert). It takes one or more restarts to clear the problem. The problem then recurs intermittently during the day. At 12GB with around 60% of the number of files and directories, everything works fine.

The only cause I can think of is a conflict between the file manager and the download or notifications processes ( - possibly causing a corruption to the file allocation table?). I don't know enough to speculate further and am waiting on a response from Asus Support.

I have access to a second ME180A with identical configuration and get the same results from this.

As a key use of the tablet was to store music, photos and videos, this is a major issue for me. Anyone have any suggestions.

2. amorteo

amorteo Pen Pal - Newbie

Probably deepness of these directories and sub directories is bigger than file managers on Android are able to handle because of some limitations of memory. I would try with a more simple structure of directories to see if that works.

Sent from my ME173X using Tapatalk

3. DavidS

DavidS Pen Pal - Newbie

Amorteo, that's a good consideration. I only have a maximum of three levels of directory on the microSD card but it could be a memory problem as it appears to occur when there is other activity on the device.

In testing I have found that:

- when the SD card is loaded with data up to around 12GB and under 100 directories / subdirectories, the device functions correctly;
    - when data over (around) 15GB / over (around) 200 directories & sub-directories are loaded on the external drive, the failure occurs.

I have found the problem occurs:

- always at first startup in the morning (when there is other app /downloading updating and email downloading taking place)
    - intermittently when the file manager is open (and I suspect background downloading is taking place)
    - intermittently when playing .mp4 video files - here, the failure is liable to occur at some point during the playback,causing the player software to hang;

It all seems to point to a File Allocation Table corruption.

Asus report that they have been unable to replicate the problem but are still investigating.