problem changing Surface Pro screen resolution?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Art_Vandelay, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Art_Vandelay

Art_Vandelay Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm having an unusual problem with changing the screen resolution on my Surface Pro. When decreasing the resolution from 1920 x 1080 to anything else (ex., 1366 x 768)), it isn't stretching the screen to fill the available space. Instead, it just uses fewer of the pixels and adds black bars around the perimeter. I've attached a picture of an example.

SP at lower resolution.jpg

There are a couple of other odd things about this. First, it worked just fine the first day or two I had the SP. In fact, I was quite surprised and impressed at how good it looked at lower resolutions. Not perfect, but a reasonable alternative to increasing text size, particularly when trying to use it with an external monitor (since the text increase applies to all screens, making things too big on a large monitor).

Second, while an external monitor is attached, lowering the resolution on the SP screen works as expected -- it gets stretched to fill the entire screen. However, as soon as I disconnect the external monitor (whether physically disconnecting it or just making it inactive while it is still plugged into the SP), the SP screen reverts to 1920 x 1080, regardless of what it was set on. Upon decreasing the resolution on the SP pro, the black bars reappear.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions? I was hoping that lowering the resolution would be a reasonable solution to using the SP with a 26" monitor, keeping fonts and all normal on the larger monitor while magnifying things on the SP, and being able to connect and disconnect the SP for use on its own or connected to larger monitor, keyboard, and mouse, without having to adjust a bunch of settings each time

2. jhoff80

jhoff80 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Installing the Intel graphics driver (and control panel) should allow you to turn on scaling.

3. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

I had the same issue. Worked at first but then stopped working. Jhoff's solution fixed it though in the desktop. I still get black bars in full screen games though, but I haven't fiddled with it much.

4. Art_Vandelay

Art_Vandelay Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the suggestion. That seemed to do the trick. Still curious why it stretched to fit initially, but not after a couple of days unless connected to another monitor. In any event, things are now working the way I'd expect.