Pro 4 Accessories for Pro 3 - Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Oct 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. be77solo

be77solo Scribbler - Standard Member

Swung by a MS store this morning to check out the new toys.

SB is cool, clipboard is very light. Unfortunately, still not powerful enough to replace my main laptop so no dice. Great solid feel though.

SP4 will be a contender once the i7 version is released and thermal testing is done. Until then, not picking up an i5.

But, boy oh boy, is the new SP4 Type Cover keyboard a freaking revolution!! I didn't believe it, wasn't excited about it, but figured I'd try it anyway. I was always satisfied with the SP3 version for the past year, but this new version is simply fantastic. Types and feels just like a high end laptop keyboard. Can't recommend this upgrade enough. I ended up walking out with the fingerprint version I liked the feel so much.

Figured no point in investing in a new pen as I know I'll eventually pick up a SP4 in the coming months that will include one.

Bottom line, go buy the new keyboard, it's that good. I take back my previous thoughts of how much better could it possibly be.

dstrauss and Bronsky like this.
  2. be77solo

Apologies for the double post, but setup "Windows Hello" (supported after the 10/26 firmware update on SP3) and just like DS said, the fingerprint login is great. Simple setup, and a quick tap of the finger logs you in immediately. Very impressive. Last fingerprint devices I used were the older slide finger type that took a bit of time and were unreliable. So far, I've tried 15 or so logins just out of curiosity and all were immediate and accurate. Of course had my wife try a few times just to test it randomly to see if it was accurate.... didn't fool it ha

3. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Can you set it up do it can be used for other applications? Using fingerprint to log in to TPCR or your bank? In other words can I create these ridiculous passwords and then use fingerprint to gain access?

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Thurrott on Windows Weekly said that would be coming in a future update - hopefully the November update (he also said it does work with the Windows Store, but most people don't even know there is a Windows Store).

Kumabjorn likes this.
  5. be77solo

Thanks for the info, been traveling and wasn't able to research... I can't wait until they enable it across the board, will be great!

6. curtissh

curtissh Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm having the same issues as gmich with the SP4 keyboard on my SP3. I love the keyboard and trackpad (LOVE), but I find it's frequently nonresponsive on wake requiring detach/attach or sometimes reboot. I think it has to do with the magnet issue highlighted by Garrett. I use my SP3 on the go frequently, and with the weaker magnets, it's constantly prompting for tablet mode (which I turned off) and frequently disconnecting entirely. Sadly, I'm actually on my way to Best Buy to return it now.

7. be77solo

So far mine has worked great (SP4 FP cover on SP3) with constant use except for one time when I plopped it in the SP3 dock and it caused things to shift a weird way... only way to get cursor back was with a reboot.

Otherwise, couldn't be happier. Folding, open, sliding in and out of bags etc so far has worked great. Definitely a keeper.

Bronsky likes this.
  8. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I think the pen is a vast improvement as well. Even without the new PixelSense controller in the SP4. The new bayonette fitting seems to make a far more solid connection with the battery. The lack of a removable lower fitting and the new method of anchoring the tips make for a far more solid connection between the tip and its sensor.

9. be77solo

I was really impressed with the new pen as well... and honestly would have bought one too, but knowing myself I'll end up with a SP4 that included one before the year is out, so no point buying it now ha... I've currently got two SP3 pens because I simply lost the tip on the original in the first week of ownership and was desperate so bought another and then a month later MS released the tips. Trying to not repeat this again.

But, I can't wait to have one of my own one way or the other :cool: Now if only MS would release the SP4 i7 so I could see some thermal results.....

If I can get past the new device smell and glimmer however, and honest with myself, I've never been happier with my SP3 i7 with the addition of the new keyboard.

southdunes and Bronsky like this.
  10. gmich

gmich Pen Pal - Newbie

Took my new Type Cover back and exchanged it and am still having the same issues. When it works--which is most of the time--it is *great*--really love it. But a few times a day the trackpad (but sometimes not the keyboard) becomes completely unresponsive. Teh worst part is that removing & reconnecting the Type Cover usually doesn't solve the problem--I have to completely reboot. This is a huge hassle when it happens in the middle of a class that I'm teaching.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.