Pro 4 Accessories for Pro 3 - Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Oct 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dbrn

dbrn Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm as happy as anyone to bash Apple (just ask my wife, colleagues, manager of our local Apple Store :rolleyes:) but do you really think this is a case of that? My guess is it's just not high enough on anyone's priority list anymore, what with magnesium shells and skylakes in everyone's face these days. Maybe once things settle down, we'll get our sacred freedom of choice back (I say that ironically, as a Canadian and a critical sociologist :p).

BUT, on the Apple-bashing topic, I thought some of you would appreciate this. The other day one of my Apple-drone colleagues accidentally lifted his ipad by the cover, resulting immediately in just a cover in his hand and an ipad on the floor. It wasn't damaged, so I felt no shame in standing behind him quietly, holding my SP3 by the typecover for however long he needed to collect himself, waiting for him to turn around and witness the awesome design and engineering that is SP3!

Bronsky likes this.
  2. dj0502

dj0502 Pen Pal - Newbie

That is my only concern with the new pen, i.e. if the flat side would bother me. Good to know that this is not the case!

3. dj0502

dj0502 Pen Pal - Newbie

Is the fingerprint reader worth giving up the colored keyboard options? do you think you'll actually used it? I was surprise of the usability the fingerprint reader in the iPhone, and I was hoping this would be the case here.

I really like the dark blue color (I had the blue one on the SP3), but I really want to support manufacturers when they incorporate these technologies.

4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

YES - no color option would trump the usability of the fingerprint reader. I can use a good password with ease - in fact, I think I would prefer it over facial recognition, but haven't tried it yet. It has made my use of the iPhone a treat instead of a PITA because I know I should use a good password these days. In fact, I now don't take the Type Cover off (to use at my desktop) until I've "touched in." I am especially impressed how accurate and fast it is - I've had all kind of "swipe" fingerprint readers that suck beyond belief, but this one is a simple touch and you are in.

5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Point One - I'm deeply "stuck" in the Apple iPhone walled garden, and for the life of me don't understand why I just don't follow @Bronsky and others to the GN5 or other alternative, but I resent (detest) being told what is "right" for me by Sir Ive et al.I had hoped MS learned its lesson with Windows 8, but only time will tell.

Point Two - I wouldn't have hesitated one second to do teh exact same thing to your Apple-drone colleague - great job.

dbrn likes this.
  6. dbrn

dbrn Scribbler - Standard Member

I always tell people it's not that I hate Apple products per se, it's that I hate being forced to do everything the way Steve Jobs et al. think I should do them.

7. gmich

gmich Pen Pal - Newbie

Haven't seen anyone else talk about this so I thought I'd report it. Love the new type cover with fingerprint reader paired w/ my SP3. Superior in every way to the SP3 version (though I didn't think that one was as bad as many reviewers indicated). However, three times now, I've had the track pad become completely unresponsive (no cursor even appears), and the only way to fix it is to restart. This puts a real damper on things in the middle of class when I'm teaching. The fingerprint reader has also failed a few times (though it is super-fast when it does work, which has been 90% of the time. If these are not widespread issues, I guess I'll return mine for a replacement.

8. Cuhulin

Cuhulin Scribbler - Standard Member

The one reason to continue to hang out in the Apple garden for a while longer is that forthcoming Surface Phone. We know from the wired article how much Panoz liked his surface mini "moleskine". We know from that same article that he's working on prototype phones. It makes sense that what we are going to see is his surface mini with phone innards and a more current OS.

dstrauss likes this.
  9. southdunes

southdunes Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm having the same difficulty with my fingerprint ID Type KB, will occasionally be unresponsive after login (fingerprint ID will work, then no response from the keyboard after). I've had the same experience in the past with other previous gen Type keyboards, but with less frequency. The remedy is the same: detach, reattach, and business as usual after (no need to power cycle in my case). Strange that the fingerprint ID will work, but the keyboard/touchpad response will not.

10. Randall Garrett

Randall Garrett Scribbler - Standard Member

FWIW, I have noted that using the new ("SP4") keyboard on an SP3 while it is docked in the SP3 dock is less than perfect. That is, the new spacing and size of the "magnet bar" results in it not being able to stay in the "up/folded" position - the new SP4 keyboard will only work when "flat." I have not tried the SP4 with new keyboard in the old SP3 dock yet. I am waiting for delivery of the spacer to try it with/without the spacer. Of course, I know that many people would not even be using the Type Keyboard while in the dock - they would perhaps more likely be using their favorite proper, full-size keyboard - but I thought I'd pass this along. It is a minor thing IMHO - especially given how much better the new SP4 keyboard is than the previous SP3 version - but I thought some might like to know.

(Sorry for my poor description. If it is unclear, let me know and I'll post a picture or two.)

-Randall Garrett-
    +Apex Software+

/end/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.