Pro 4 Accessories for Pro 3 - Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Oct 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cmergel

cmergel DBA by trade.

OneNote App opens but not the Desktop version of OneNote. But if I hold the button Cortana opens up!!!!

2. cmergel

cmergel DBA by trade.

I like the SP3 dock. If it had two Mini-DisplayPorts in the dock it would be perfect for me. Having to fix the DaisyChaining of my 2 Dell U2414H every couple of weeks bites. I HATE DAISYCHAINING!

southdunes likes this.
  3. southdunes

southdunes Scribbler - Standard Member

Lord, yes. Weighs in at 1.3 lbs and seems twice that. But happy to have the heft so it won't be sliding around like other USB docks.

Intend to have the SP3 used primarily as a 2nd screen while docked, but like the ability to pull it down for note taking when I need a larger canvas. Plan to use the forthcoming DV8P refresh as desktop companion and note taker for all other use cases, replacing my dead AVN8 and honorably discharged S3 ;) Can't beat a good 8" tablet at your side.

4. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Today I picked up the new Fingerprint Type Keyboard as well as the new Pen and Nib Pack
    for use with my Pro 3

The Keyboard is a massive superior typing and surfing experience. The bigger/glass trackpad and spaced out keys feel really great. I had gotten so used to the old Pro3 type cover though it took a but of adjusting to get used to the new keyboard cover. However there are some minor drawbacks with the new cover.

1. The foldable magentic flap in the cover is smaller......obviously to accommodate the Pro 4's slimmer bezel....but on the Pro 3......the magnet flap doesn't seem as strong. Like if you were used to the strength of the magnet in the old cover.....this definitely feels weaker......its still totally usable....but its noticeable.

2. No Pen Loop :( I always thought the pen loop was superior to the whole magnetic held pen concept. The loop held my pen reliably and securely with the Pro 3 in transport for well over a year. It wasn't until a few months back did the pen loop stop working as well from the wear and tear. So with the Pro 4 accessories used with the Pro 3......the Pen loop is very much missed. I tried to clip the pen clip in the space between the keyboard and the magnetic flap...but I found it distorted that part of the keyboard cover. Maybe because its too new.....but one day made it look like it was almost ready to put a tear in the fabric of the side of the type cover.

3. The Fingerprint Reader...I can't get to work.....my Pro 3 is still running Windows 8.1 (and I'd like to keep it that way), but I can't figure out how to get it work with 8.1.

4. The new pen....when I got it I tried it in my car and it wouldn't work on my Pro3.....thought I got a dud or maybe the battery died or something. Once I got home....I went to pull my Pro3 out of its case....and the pen was automatically blinking its white light...and the pen now worked. Odd because I didn't do anything to prompt the pen.....maybe hitting my home wi-fi network did something to enable it or something.

5. The Battery is indeed user replaceable.....but its very hard to pull out.....alot more strength is required then the Pro 3's pen. My first attempt I thought I too broke the pen.

6. the New Nib pack is great, but it does take a bit of effort to remove the nibs even with the nib remover....except for the 2H nib. The new nibs are also not compatible with the Pro 3 pen.

5. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Time to get to the gym a bit more?

On the original pen, you could set the eraser button to open either version of One Note. I'm assuming that this pen is no different. Metro OneNote opens faster so I use that as a default.

I like this new pen more than the original one. I'm not even really sure why, it just feels better.
    BTW, you have to pair your pen and before it will work and you have to also pair the BT device to get the eraser button to work.

If I owned a SP3, I would probably get the new pen and Keyboard and call it a day.

The new keyboard is drool worthy. The more I use it at BB, the more I like it. Shame that we Surface 3 owners will have to wait until the S4 refresh before we get something like that design. Even if Zagg comes out with a KB like they have desighed for the SP4 I'll probably pass, since my preference is for a KB that has a direct connection, not BT.

I've gone in a slightly different direction. I am using my S3 as my primary computer, docked when in the office. It travels everywhere I take my briefcase. I just got a GN5, which I am hoping will suffice as a companion note taker. The addition of OneNote to Android is a big plus. I am looking for a decent Android PDF annotator for light work on PDFs. But, in all, I think the GN5 might do the trick and be even more portable than my old trusty AVN8.

BTW, I think the DVP8 is the best of the new generation 8" tablets. It would be great if the X7 Atom was offered as an option. What MS should be making, however, is this: http://www.engadget.com/2015/10/26/the-surface-mini-is-a-real-tablet-that-you-cant-buy/ Atom X7 power, smaller bezels and dockability might have tempted me to replace my Surface 3.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
  6. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

The keyboard and dock are absolute MUSTS for an SP3 owner. I'm still trying to make my mind up about the pen. The feel of the nib on glass is a lot better than the old ones (little more "grippy"), but didn't realize I have become so attached to two buttons and being able to erase without turning the pen over. All I really want is the SP4 pen nib for my SP3 pen. All that said, the keyboard alone has made me decide 100% to skip the Surface Book, and it I could ever get over the frustration of fan noise on the i7 SP3, take he SP4 off the radar as well. (Panos - tell me you have USB 3-C in store for SP5, and a Surface Phone, and I will wait without any remorse).

I'll be really interested on your take on the GN5 as a companion for the S3. You should start a thread once you have some more time under your belt with that combo. I keep dreaming that the Surface Phone will become a reality - with that capacitor based N-Trig stick pen - and then the universe will be complete.

Bronsky likes this.
  7. southdunes

southdunes Scribbler - Standard Member

I've toyed with a switch to the GN5 to serve as a desktop companion, but too far down the rabbit hole with the iOS ecosystem now. I think 8" is my optimal size, too, for a note taker. And I read the blurb about the Mini yesterday... I swear. Could fill another thread with my frustration on that, was one of the frustrated Surface loyalists that was *very* disappointed when the ax dropped on the little guy.

The DV8P refresh is the next release that has my attention. Sounds like x5 will be used, but an x7 option would be killer... curious to see the new weight and size, as well.

Couldn't agree more. The SP3 paired with the new Type kb and dock offer the best value proposition by a long shot.

8. greatg

greatg Scribbler - Standard Member

Just got my new "Pro 4" pen! Does anyone know how to setup the side button?

9. dbrn

dbrn Scribbler - Standard Member

Actually that functionality ended with W10 - pretty much the only downside to 10 for me. There's been a standing post on the Microsoft Tech Support forums that they're working to add it back it, but after this long I can't see it happening.

Bronsky likes this.
  10. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Sometimes MS goes to far in copying Apple (we know what is best for you, and there is only the one true way).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.