Pro 4 Accessories for Pro 3 - Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Oct 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

For those of us living vicariously by just updating our keyboard, pen, and/or dock:

I didn't want to try to slap this stuff among all three threads (Surface Pro 3, Surface Pro 4, and Surface Book) - so decided to start a thread for those of us "just" upgrading the keyboard, pen, and/or dock, I wanted a place to post our thoughts, comments, reviews, longings, desires, you name it. I'll start with:

NEW PEN

The feel of the pen on the screen is MUCH better than the regular pen, BUT, I really attribute this solely to the new nib, which gives you more friction than the old nib, I was told by customer support that the old pen can't use the new nibs, which is a shame, but if I decide to keep the new pen, I may do surgery on the old pen and sub the H nib for the standard nib.

The reason I say "if" is because so far the only improvement (for me) has been the pen drag on the screen - much more real life. Obviously, I'm not using it on a Pixelsense screen, so hover, latency, pressure are all still the same. After nearly 18 months, I've gotten used to using the two buttons and not having to turn the pen over to erase. If you are new from Wacom, it is great to erase with an "eraser" but I think it is more efficient to push the second button while still on the screen to erase. Perhaps it's actually a step backward.

So far, a hmmmmm...if N-Trig makes different nibs available, I may just stay with the old pens...

More to come on the keyboard (need to run Windows update) and dock soon.

2. cmergel

cmergel DBA by trade.

re: New Surface Pen (this is a somewhat repost from another area)

Big warning!!!! The cap does not twist off like the previous pen. I almost broke the thing trying to unscrew it. It has a grove in the cap. Turn it 1/4 turn and pull, very strange. Totally different guts inside as well. It is also about 1/2" longer than the previous pen.

I like the flat side when I grip it. The weight also seems to be more distributed or balance if that is possible.

Attached Files:

Bronsky likes this.
  3. dstrauss

Thanks @cmergel - have you been able to pair and get bluetooth working to bring up OneNote and clip screen captures? I've only got inking and eraser working.

4. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

I agree on the side button eraser. At first I kept trying to flip it over after switching from Wacom, but after getting used to it, I prefer the side button.

(Still prefer Wacom EMR overall of course)

5. dstrauss

Type Cover 4

Heaven!

I have never had a one review of anything in my life until now. The new keyboard is just like typing on a laptop. Solid; no bounce; great key spacing; very good trackpad; AND

THE FINGERPRINT READER IS TO DIE FOR. It is nearly as fast as my iPhone 6s Plus. Way faster than my prior 6 Plus, which was no slouch. It WILL give your Surface Pro 3 new life. Not that the SPro 3 keyboard is bad, it was a real improvement to the keyboard line, but this one is head and shoulders better than that. In fact, this has made my final decision (that, plus seeing a Surface Book in the flesh) - spoiler alert - I am sticking with the Surface Pro 3 (full details over in Surface Book thread).

southdunes likes this.
  6. dstrauss

Type Cover 4

Heaven!

I have never had a one review of anything in my life until now. The new keyboard is just like typing on a laptop. Solid; no bounce; great key spacing; very good trackpad; AND

THE FINGERPRINT READER IS TO DIE FOR. It is nearly as fast as my iPhone 6s Plus. Way faster than my prior 6 Plus, which was no slouch. It WILL give your Surface Pro 3 new life. Not that the SPro 3 keyboard is bad, it was a real improvement to the keyboard line, but this one is head and shoulders better than that. In fact, this has made my final decision (that, plus seeing a Surface Book in the flesh) - spoiler alert - I am sticking with the Surface Pro 3 (full details over in Surface Book thread).

7. southdunes

southdunes Scribbler - Standard Member

Dock arrived today from MS, Fingerprint ID Type keyboard inbound from Best Buy for delivery tomorrow. Emails from Best Buy said the Type KB wouldn't arrive for another 3-4 weeks, but shipped today. Strange, but no harm, no foul.

Haven't been able to put the dock through its paces yet, but here are the unboxing photos -

IMG_6825.JPG IMG_6826.JPG IMG_6827.JPG

cmergel likes this.
  8. dstrauss

That little dock box was a heavy puppy.

9. lancorp

lancorp Scribbler - Standard Member

What are people doing with their Surface Pro 3 (or 4) when connected to this Dock box? On my two desks, I have the older Surface dock, where my SP3 lives nicely, keyboard closed, while I work away on an external monitor, mouse and KB.
    Now, Do I sit it flat on the desk, set it upright on the desk, like I'm using it, but with the kb closed?

Personally, I think I prefer the old style dock. Everything is neat and clean and hidden. Now I think I will have wires all over.

10. dstrauss

I want my SP3 reclined for taking notes while at the desk. I had to cut a hole in the keyboad tray to do this with the regular dock - no more - and I can stand it if needed too.

southdunes likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.