Print to OneNote 64 bit

Discussion in 'OneNote, Evernote and Organizers' started by turnerh1124, Aug 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. turnerh1124

turnerh1124 Pen Pal - Newbie

Anyone who uses MS OneNote 2007 knows that the ability to print virtual images into the program for reference and editing is a major if not fundamental feature of the software. However on 64 bit systems this feature is not available. For some reason or another MS has failed to realize the significance of this problem and release a patch or viable alternative for users. Do a basic Google search on the issue and you’ll find that for years now there have been countless posts on the issues and no alternatives that work the way that it is supposed to.

I am a college student and use OneNote for just about everything concerning school. It is especially useful for inserting documents (PowerPoint, PDF,etc…) that professors post online, I am able to manage and annotate these documents with my own notes inside OneNote. OneNote scans the documents for text and recognizes every word, allowing users to search for words and find them quickly no matter where they may be in their notebook(s). This feature is especially effective for online tests and quizzes where time limits may be an issue. I have even taken it a step further and inserted copies of my textbooks using a program called Snapter (a program which has comes a long way in recent years in its ability to convert photos into high quality “scanned” images).

However 64 bit users are unable to do this. Basically all you can in 64 bit OneNote is insert screen clippings and copy/paste. A highly ineffective solution when considering the alternatives.

I created this blog http://onenoteprintdriver.blogspot.com/ for the single purpose of teaching users how they can have this vital feature.The solution involves installing a free program (PDFCreator – available on Sourceforge) and a few simple steps. The tutorial is very easy to follow and has pictures illustrating every step. I feel that many users have been “ripped off” and feel that they paid for something that doesn’t work (and this is true).

David Rasmussen (a group manager for OneNote at Microsoft) has also developed a workaround for the problem using the XPS Printer. http://blogs.msdn.com/david_rasmussen/archive/2009/04/22/onenote-print-driver-a-64-bit-solution.aspx In short, the method involves many steps and in my opinion is quite messy (users must print to XPS files and maintain a folder on their desktop of all the images they print for OneNote to draw from). Plus multiple paged documents print unintuitively to multiple sections of the notebook, which makes it very hard to read something of any significant length. I think being bound to only using MS programs to fix the issue, his solution leaves much to be desired from users (especially for anyone who has used OneNote on a 32 bit system).

If you use OneNote 2007 on a 64 bit system you may want to check this out. You might not even know what you are missing. I could not be nearly as productive without this feature.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. Vince K

Vince K Pen Pal - Newbie

Does this work for Windows 7, 64-bit? It launches Onenote, but I fail to see the file within Onenote anywhere.

3. charco

charco Pen Pal - Newbie

same here......it crashes in Win 7 x64
    as a result..... I have no choice but to go back to Win 7 x86..... ~__~
    my 4G RAM...... T____T

4. joetheboy

joetheboy Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi, thanks for this, it works brilliantly. The only problem i have now is that the printouts wont go into landscape. theY always have portrait orientation in onenote no matter how many settings i try to change. What should I do? (windows 7 rc X64)

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.