Preventing theft

Discussion in 'HP TouchSmart TM2 (Wacom)' started by chrislbaird23, Sep 27, 2010.

1. chrislbaird23

chrislbaird23 Pen Pal - Newbie

I am a college student attending school this fall. I recently purchased a touchsmart tm2 laptop. What can I do to prevent it from being stolen.
    I was thinking of purchasing a lock but do not know which would work best for this laptop.

2. purplepeopledesign

purplepeopledesign Scribbler - Standard Member

I can't ever imagine leaving any expensive device unattended for even a second. So, IMO, the best security is to pack it up and take it to the washroom or up to the coffee counter. If you want to save your workspace at the library, leave a notebook on the table and a cheap sweater on the chair.

:)ensen.

3. deyanimay

deyanimay Scribbler - Standard Member

4. leaftye

leaftye Old timer Super Moderator

Keep your computer close. Always.

5. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yep, purplepeopledesign is right, I've been using my Tm2 at college every day. I put it to sleep, put it in a sleeve, and toss it into my backpack (it's a single strap pack with a padded laptop section) whenever I have to do something else. If you carry it around in the open, don't leave it alone, just carry it with you when you move around.

If you don't leave it places, and take care of it you won't have to worry about it.

One thing you can do is have it display a text file with return information show up after failed login. (I read about that somewhere, not sure though) or take the background image for login and write in "Property of _______ if found, call me at __________. cash reward for return if not damaged, no questions asked"
    come to think of it I might do that. :)

6. nathanbarlow

nathanbarlow Pen Pal - Newbie

LAlarm is okay... but
    a) you have to actvate it using win+L,
    b) it works by detecting when the power plug is removed, so useless when on battery AFAIK, unless u setup the USB thumbdrive mode
    c) you have to have sound on, so if you (like me) mute tyour laptop in the library, you have to unmute it to leave it.

The idea is really good, and it has useful things like battery preservation warnings etc, but as a theft prevention, it doesnt do much.

Also, i think that it would be like a car alarm - people go "oh whats that" " oh just some fool who hasnt muted his laptop"....

Personally, I would either take it with me (its only a 12.1" portable device afterall) or get a lock that goes into the kensington hole thing.

Havent had call for either yet, as my TM2 hasnt been out in public yet (its still too preciously new lol)

7. __-_-_-__

__-_-_-__ Pen Pal - Newbie

A laptop is stolen every 53 seconds and 97% of stolen laptop computers are never recovered.
    the safest way is not to use it lol
    anyway a great tip is not to show off your tablet. you known, notebook backpacks are often stolen. so it's way more safe to use a common standard backpack. you can put it in a sleeve and then in the backpack.

software solutions are easy to bypass. imo if I had stolen a notebook the first thing to do was to format the HDD and reset the bios.

8. Feralboy

Feralboy Scribbler - Standard Member

Definitely. Take it with you. I know it's a pain, but I work in cafes almost daily, and though I'm tempted to leave it just long enough to go to the restroom, I rarely do. And when I do, I almost pee myself trying to get back to it. A little bit of paranoia is good for you.

9. Thom4s

Thom4s Scribbler - Standard Member

It would be cool to make a program for the laptop, it has an accelerometer (the protectsmart one) and we know someone who can read and code for it on this forum.

What if he would make a program that would unmute the laptop, turn the volume up to its loudest and generate an irritating alarm whenever the laptop feels that it is being moved, using the accelerometer program. Of course you only turn it on when u are away for a little moment.

I think this would be the best solution for short term theft protection. If you want to leave it somewhere for a little longer, u can use a kensington lock. U could strap ur laptop to a table like u can strap a bike to a lightpole.

10. leaftye

leaftye Old timer Super Moderator

Locks are often easy to defeat. I had a lock fail on me and no strangers said anything as I manipulated the lock around the furniture. Alarms assume that you will hear it or that others would stop a thief. The latter is unlikely to happen with a confident thief in a place where no one knows you.