Pressure works in all applications *except* Adobe Illustrator

Discussion in 'HP TouchSmart TM2 (Wacom)' started by MrBogard, Dec 28, 2010.

1. MrBogard

MrBogard Pen Pal - Newbie

I've got most everything working now, but the pen is giving me some trouble in Adobe Illustrator. I'm running the most recent Wacom tablet PC drivers, and I can open up Sketchbook Designer and the pressure sensitivity works as expected. The problem is that it doesn't work in Adobe Illustrator. This is a bit of a problem for me, as it's the primary application in my work flow. I tried reinstalling the drivers, and I'm still hitting a wall here. All pen options are grayed out in Adobe Illustrator's brush windows. What gives? I hope I can resolve this issue. I guess I could just use Photoshop instead, since I have a Cintiq on my workstation and don't intend to do any real heavy lifting with this thing.. but it would really help to have the option.

Help?

2. wakeupneo

wakeupneo Scribbler - Standard Member

Everything works for me pressure sensitivity-wise in illustrator CS5. I have wacom driver version 5.1.1-15 (the on that came with mine and was in the swsetup folder).
    What do you mean by "All pen options are grayed out in Adobe Illustrator's brush windows."? Don't you have a "Pressure" option for diameter under brush options?

3. MrBogard

Well it's good to know that it should work. What I mean: if I go into the blob brush options (double click), or create a new calligraphy brush, the option for pressure control is under the drop down menu but it appears grayed out and can not be selected. I seem to recall having this problem on my desktop once upon a time, and I don't remember the solution. I can only assume it was driver related, but I have no idea.

I consulted google, which was pretty frustrating. The internet is full of people asking about this same issue (in multiple versions of Illustrator), but it's lacking on reasonable answers. Most people will just say, "Oh, you need a tablet!"--thanks!

Any ideas? Anywhere I can download an older driver and try that? I'd really love for it to work.

4. wakeupneo

wakeupneo Scribbler - Standard Member

5. MrBogard

Thanks, but unfortunately that did not work. And for some reason, when I installed that driver the cursor jittered uncontrollably under my stylus. I went back to the most recent driver off of Wacom's website. I still don't have pressure in Illustrator though, and it's driving me mad. I wish I could figure this out. At least I have time, I guess. I'm waiting on an Exim screen protector and god knows how long that will take to get here.

If you have any other suggestions, I'm all ears. I really want to figure this out.

6. MrBogard

Bumping this because I still need help :(

7. joshb3

joshb3 Pen Pal - Newbie

You might try some of the suggestions in this thread or do another search for pressure-related threads in the forum.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  8. Tale

Tale Pen Pal - Newbie

I had the same problem and I had to update to the newest illustrator, and then the pressure section under blob brush wasn't greyed out. But the pressure function still didn't work. I tried so many thing, but in the end I released I had to adjust the variation (in the blob brush tool option, beside pressure) to more than 0pt for it to work!