Pressure sensitivity on Fujitsu t4220 XP Tablet Edition?

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by hohnir, Oct 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Silvered-Winter

Silvered-Winter Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello, all. It's nice to see this forum again because this is the place that helped me make my decision regarding the purchase of a new tablet PC. I am in love with my t4220, and I wouldn't trade it for any other. I purchased it with XP Tablet Edition, for the simple fact that I dislike Vista...

I have a few questions from an artist's perspective and I was hoping some of you gurus would come out of the woodwork and answer them...

First, I was hoping the pen and screen would be similar to a Wacom tablet (Graphire or Bamboo) but it is not. I am dearly in love with it... accuracy is heightened, and there's no longer any guesswork as to where the stylus will show up on the screen. However... there's absolutely no pressure sensitivity. Being an artist, working in Photoshop, Corel Painter, or anything of the sorts, the pressure sensitivity of the pen is what makes digital painting a breeze. I know I might just be missing something, or I might just be overlooking a setting, but... is there a way I can set something or install something to get pen pressure sensitivity? I'll feel stupid if there's an obvious answer... lol.

Second... if there is not a ready solution to this problem, could I install a non-display tablet without the drivers conflicting?

Another thing... this isn't really pertaining to the topic, but... whenever I close the lid and it goes on standby, it is followed by a loud beep... which disturbs quiet classrooms and embarrasses me!

This computer has saved my life, but... if I could fix these few peeves I have about it then it would be perfect...

2. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. leaftye

leaftye Old timer Super Moderator

After you get the right drivers installed, you have to adjust pressure sensitivity to work best for you. For me, I like it just above max softness. Some programs are better with sensitivity than others. Onenote is pretty bad, but Sketchbook Pro is pretty good.

4. Silvered-Winter

Thank you all for your help, it is really appreciated, and maybe soon I will get my ducks in a row! I was able to turn off the beep.

I still can't figure out which driver I should replace the current one with... if that's what I should do... I tried the link Frank provided but nothing seemed to help. I am confused... I've gotten my tech genius boyfriend to help me but he seems to be stumped too, perhaps I am at a loss? He said that maybe the actual hardware, the screen, wasn't built for such things, but...

Obviously I don't know what I am doing. I'm afraid I will screw up my beloved tablet to no end, because I want pressure sensitivity to paint with.

'Tis:
    Microsoft Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005
    Version 2002, Service Pack 2
    Fujitsu Lifebook t4220

5. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

For the digitizer in the tablet are two drivers available. One from Fujitsu, which gives you no pressure sensitivity in Photoshop and one from Wacom which gives you pressure senitivity.

Before you install the Wacom driver make sure you've uninstalled any other pen driver. Open the control panel, there "add or remove software" and then search for "Fujitsu Pen Service", if it's there remove it, search for anything with Wacom, if it's there remove it, reboot your machine. Now after you've removed every tablet driver the pen shouldn't work.
    Download the Wacom driver:
    ftp://ftp.wacom-europe.com/pub/WINDOWS/cons5.05-7_int.exe
    run the exe and it should install the driver. Maybe you'll have to restart a second time, but now the pressure sensitivity should work in Photoshop.

And the tablet is build for such things. It has a Wacom digitizer with 255 pressure sensitivity levels which are also supported in Photoshop, Corel Painter and many other programs.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  6. Silvered-Winter

This information is very helpful, thank you so much! I understand about it now... it is exciting to know that it is built for such things, and it takes a load off my chest. This is serious stuff to me.

I have uninstalled all tablet drivers on the machine, and restarted to find that the pen does not work, great. I go to install the new driver... everything works fine, but when the status bar is about halfway through, the Windows New Hardware Found Wizard pops up... but then goes away again so I can't click it. Then the status bar freezes... computer processing goes back to normal... and it just sits there, and does not continue to install. I think this is the problem that my boyfriend ran into, and didn't tell me about. I remember sitting around for a while and then getting up to go outside and when we came back the bar was in the same place. He was quite busy and didn't have time to look at it further.

Is there a way I could disable the Wizard? Or should I click it before it goes away? I don't know what I'm doing... sorry for so many questions!

7. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Senior Member

if the wacom drivers extract to a folder try manually installing from device manager.

From device manager:
    update driver->install from a list or a specific location->don't search i will choose the driver to install->have disk-> and then point to the extracted files

8. Grimnir

Grimnir Think tank & Designer Senior Member

If the drivers did not extract to a folder by themselves after that process you can do the following:

Move cons5.05-7_int.exe to your desktop (the wacom driver).
    Create a new folder on your C:\ drive called "Driver" and move cons5.05-7_int.exe to the "Driver" folder.
    Click your start menu, then click "Run".
    In the run box type the following command "C:\Driver\cons5.05-7_int.exe /U /X:C:\Driver "

then you may manually install the driver via the device manager a la DrTigerlilly's post above.

9. Silvered-Winter

I've finally figured it out! Thank you all!

This means a lot to me... off I go to paint!

10. Grimnir

Grimnir Think tank & Designer Senior Member

Silvered, please let us know what you did to fix the issue so we can present the solution to other people that have the same problem :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.