Preordering the Vivo tab with KB dock

Discussion in 'Asus' started by nnthemperor, Nov 3, 2012.

1. nheel

nheel Scribbler - Standard Member

Sorry about that. In theory there is a pocket where you could fit a dongle, but it would stick out a lot and probably look weird/make the tablet fit weird. It seems like it's made for business cards.

There are also two slots of sim cards.

2. Tonitti

Tonitti Scribbler - Standard Member

Does the same process that was used to get pressure sensitivity in Photoshop and other painting programs in Samsung Series 7 Slate work with the Vivotab? When I try to install the latest TabletPC driver from Wacom website it tells me "A supported tablet wasn't found on the system".

Does anyone know if it's necessary to disable the default Windows8 tablet driver fist? I left the tablet to download all the latest windows updates for the whole day, now I'm worried that makes the wacom drivers not to detect the Vivo but I can't find the driver in the Device Manager.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  3. Inkermoy

Inkermoy Scribbler - Standard Member

Link here again. Hardware Drivers | Wacom

Just select Tablet PC and Windows 8 and it should pop up. 7.1.0.8

I just got my own 810C, First Impressions:

-Careful not to get the adhesive from the plastic flap that the tablet comes in, smeared it on the glass. It was easy enough to get off with a piece of tape though.

-I read earlier that the tablet comes with a metal body, it's definitely plastic made to look like brushed metal like the Samsung ATIV. Not saying it's a bad thing. Mine already has a small scratch/defect on the back, no biggie though as I normally go naked with the tablet and the back will get pretty scratched up like my S7S. Probably won't look too good face down attached to the dock, oh well.

-All accessories are made of the same shiny black plastic, yay fingerprints! :p

-Charger is very lightweight and very hot ATM since it's charging up the tablet and dock. Have yet to turn it on, but when I plugged it into the dock, an amber LED turned on. I'm confused if it means that it's off and just using the Keyboard battery, or if it's actually supposed to be on, screen and all.

-Earlier someone (curtissh i think) commented about the keyboard being a bit lower than it probably needed to be. Indeed resting your palms on the edge gives me an uneasy feeling, but depending on the situation where you're using it, it may not matter that much.

-I keep thinking I'm hearing fan noise from the 810C, maybe because I'm so used to/paranoid hearing the whine from my S7S.

I'm letting it fully charge up before turning it on, any idea how long it takes to fully charge the tablet and dock from first opening?

4. curtissh

curtissh Scribbler - Standard Member

LOL - I did the exact same thing. Smeared that crap right across the screen. Like you, I found it wiped off pretty easy.

Are you sure that's not metal? Mine feels cool to the touch, just like the body of the keyboard. Thoughts?

Amber means it's charging (whether on the dock or the tablet). It will turn cool white when it's done. Mine took about 6 hours to charge completely the first time, though I was using it at the time (plugged in).

5. curtissh

curtissh Scribbler - Standard Member

I'd say if I had one complaint, it's that the device really chokes on some video streams. For example, full screen Netflix works great, but video on theverge.com is pretty choppy, even when not full screen. I'm hopeful that it's a software issue as even old computers and phones play this stuff well.

Also, so you guys know you're not crazy, I've had a couple random keyboard and sound issues on wake as well. Cured by a reboot, but definitely inconvenient. Fortunately it doesn't happen often. I've been using this thing hard for the last couple days, and 99% of the time it works flawlessly.

6. Tonitti

In the manual it says it's recommendable to let the battery charge for 8 hours for the first charge, that will extend the battery life in the future.

Also I had a small manual about li-ion battery care and It said i is best to let the battery fully discharge before charging it for the first time. Also is recommendable to make 3-5 full charges and discharges the first days. After that, 1 full charge and discharge each month will extend the battery life too.

7. Tonitti

Yes, I tried to install that file, also older drivers, but each time it says the same "TabletPC not detected etc etc". I gave up and I'm doing a W8 full clean install, I'll try to install that driver before W8 makes any updates to see if it works that way. I cross fingers.

Edit: Damn! after wiping all my instaled programs and files it keeps saying the same thing "A supported tablet was not found on the system"! I have run out of ideas now. I guess pressure works ok for you guys?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  8. Inkermoy

Inkermoy Scribbler - Standard Member

Whoops... I just plugged it in from the getgo... Batteries are... complicated... -_- I guess I'll have to wait till after work to start her up.

To the question of what's metal and what's plastic, I'd most likely say the only things that seem to be metal is the face up surface of the keyboard and possibly the hinge (would make sense). The bottom of the dock seems to be plastic as well. That's just me tapping things with the tips of my fingers, most of it sounds like the dull thud of plastic. If something were metal and thin, I'd expect a higher pitch (unless it's got some sound absorption or insulation--which would be crazy). Still all in all, plastic isn't that bad nowadays. Samsung even uses it on their refrigerators that look like Stainless Steel but isn't. A heck of a lot cheaper, and easier maintenance.

9. ldgw500

ldgw500 Pen Pal - Newbie

I received my TF810 yesterday, still wainting on the dock. I have to say this is everything I expected. Very nice unit.

The back is definitely aluminum (same material as on my Asus Prime) except for the top portion that covers the NFC and Wifi radios which is plastic to reduce signal interference.

The included folio case is definitely a nice benny also. I also like the size and feel of the pen over the Samsung S-pen.

10. noxxle

noxxle Scribbler - Standard Member

Does pushing on the plastic area of the back panel cause ripples on the screen anywhere?