Preordering the Vivo tab with KB dock

Discussion in 'Asus' started by nnthemperor, Nov 3, 2012.

1. mph55

mph55 Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks nheel! With the synrmihid.sys filename, I found the uninstall log and saw which folders it removed:

C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\synpd.inf_x86_2eb3d2d060225d42
    C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\synrmihid.inf_x86_88828d18e9dfe331
    C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\synzkb.inf_x86_5fcfc71ac0321ae6

And for some reason, this forum places a space after "syn". If you have these folders, could you zip them and upload? They contain the .inf file and package needed to reinstall the driver. Last request!

For your digitizer problems, did you try recalibrating the display under Tablet PC Settings in the control panel?

2. mph55

mph55 Pen Pal - Newbie

Ok, I figured out how to refresh the drivers from Win8. I've got the Synaptics driver back. Off to reinstalling some of my apps. Thanks for your help!

3. nheel

nheel Scribbler - Standard Member

Nah, it was right in the middle. Funny thing is, it's completely gone now. Guess I'll just wait it out and see if it comes back, warranty is 1 year and return policy is 30 days, so I got plenty of time to mess with it.

I gotta say, I really like the feel of the keys on this keyboard, the more I type with it the more I enjoy it. Very accurate.

4. Tonitti

Tonitti Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm curious to know how many hours left reads the battery meter at around 1/3 brightness and airplane mode on, with the battery fully charged.

Also in the manual alerts that:

"Do not leave the Tablet PC connected to the power supply once it is fully charged. The Tablet PC is not designed to be left connected to the power supply for extended periods of time".

I knew that was bad behavior for old types of batteries, but I thought new technologies prevented these kinds of possible damages. Anyhow, does that mean that it is bad to work with the tablet plugged or just that it is bad to left the tablet plugged when it is fully charged when you are not using it? :confused:

5. nheel

I left my tablet on overnight (for some reason the screen never shut off) after about 3 hours of use and when I woke up about 7 hours later, the battery read 78% on the main tablet and 5% on the dock (it was docked in).

So to recap 3 hours of actual use and 7 hours of no use but screen on = 83% battery left. Not too shabby.

6. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Noticing some weird behaviors with this thing. The screen not shutting off even after you turn off the system in a docked mode, as nheel mentioned. And some hardware error message that appears if you dock the tablet when it`s on, and the partial loss of KB functionality(touch pad to be precise) after waking the system up from sleep. I hope Asus will try to fix these problems( don`t know where to report it though). Otherwise, it`s been an almost perfect experience with this tablet.
    Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express

7. curtissh

curtissh Scribbler - Standard Member

So, the eagle has landed. First impressions, really nice. Presently installing the Windows 8 updates (and on this count, she's no speed demon).

FWIW, I was a little concerned about the keyboard and trackpad. I ordered it through BuySpry when they were selling the two separate pieces bundled together for less than the C2 package (bundled at the factory). First, my trackpad works great. Frankly, because the Synaptics track pad supports tap to click, two-fingered tap to right-click, and double tap and hold to drag, I almost never use the buttons anyway. These are all habits I developed using various Synaptics trackpads over the years. However, it's worth saying here that my physical buttons work fine too.

As for the keyboard, a couple comments. First, relative to the MacBook Air, the key strokes are not as nice. It takes slightly more pressure to press the key (more labor typing), and the keys themselves aren't concave like they are on the MBA. That said, it's a pretty good feel, and while the MBA is better, it's only slightly so (certainly nothing like the Samsung Series 9 keyboard which I found miserable). I'll update you folks on this as I use it more. I'm an attorney, and the typing experience is important to me.

Another difference from the MBA is that the keys on the Asus are all shifted down about 3/4 of an inch, such that the palm rests are smaller. On the MBA, there's plenty of room to rest your hands, whereas on the Asus my palms actually rest on the edge of the machine, if that makes sense.

I have an 11..6" MBA sitting right here with it. Maybe I should upload some pictures contrasting the two.

8. nheel

Digitizer is acting up again. It's almost certainly a software issue, as it appears to be a spot on the desktop. May attempt to erase everything and re-install, kind of annoyed at that.

Are there any wacom drivers out there for this thing? I actually don't notice any drivers in the Device Manager by Wacom.

9. curtissh

curtissh Scribbler - Standard Member

IMHO, if you're drawing a line down the page and the line stops due to a dead spot, it's relatively unlikely that it's a software problem. I had an X60T one time that started doing that and I had to seat the digitizer by pushing down on it and moving from side to side. That seemed to fix it, but it's unlikely that would work on a device like this.

10. nheel

Hmmm...that's a bummer cause that is what's happening, it seems to come and go as well.