Preferred method for drawing on large (15"-17") 2-in-1's?

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by CamBam1113, Jan 24, 2018.

?

Do you use one device for both mobile/casual work, or two separate devices for each purpose?

1. I use two devices

3 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. I use one device for both tasks

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. CamBam1113

CamBam1113 Pen Pal - Newbie

I appreciate the comments!

Its nice to know I'm not the only one out there with this dilemma. I don't know that there is a single device that checks all the boxes (powerful, large screen, portable, etc.), but it sure would be nice. It seems to me that its only a matter of time though, with products like the Z-Book ans Switch 7.

One of my other problem with clam shell 2-in-1's is the fact that the keyboard is exposed when folded into tablet mode. I don't know why it bugs me so much but I guess I'm just paranoid about having an expensive machine with the keys exposed to become mucked up. I think the only devices that eliminated that concern were the VAIO flip and older Thinkpads/HP's. It probably makes the device a little less sturdy, but I want to hold the device without feeling the keys and/or trackpad depressing under my fingers.

Sorry, but another quick thought. Do they make some type of wedge/stand product that I can use to prop up my screen when in display mode without having the screen eventually fall now flat into tablet mode? This would be a helpful tool for artists, especially if it could fold up and fit into a bag.

I think that for now, the iPad Pro/Yoga 720 combo will work just fine, unless of course another great device pops up on the horizon.

2. lblb

lblb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

3. YVerloc

YVerloc Scribbler - Standard Member

Here is what I have found so far about my workflow needs: doodling and sketching-on-the-go is no longer part of my workflow. If think that my need to sketch was really about anxiety. If I don’t sketch this I’ll forget it. I’ll forget the nuances of form, the color, the texture. If I don’t sketch this idea, I’ll forget it. Seeing beautiful and interesting things, and having interesting ideas - these gave me pleasure, but also anxiety. The fear of not capturing and keeping that moment of happiness. And another anxiety was the perceived need to practice practice practice, to level my skills up as fast as possible to stay competitive.

Now I practice what I call “seeing with confidence”. When I see something that excites and interests me, I look at it until a voice in my head says “yep, got it”. Then I carry on with what I was doing. I know I will remember. In fact, my memory is where the image (or idea) is distilled down to its essence. Giving my memory some time to digest the image or the idea makes it better, richer and clearer. If some aspect slips through the cracks, then I wasn’t ready for that yet.

It’s largely about decoupling the creative process from the myth of the protestant work ethic. You can’t force good ideas to appear in your head by applying willpower. When I get an art assignment at work, I do the research necessary to understand the problem that needs solving, and reference some related material. I call this ‘stuffing the inbox’. Then I do other stuff, usually another assignment that I’m still working on. And I check my ‘outbox’ to see if any ideas have come in. When the ‘back office’ drops an idea into the outbox and I like it, I do it. No sketching and faffing around, I just do it.

I still need a tablet though, because I want and need to work in a variety of places. But cafes aren’t among them. The places I work are all quiet places where I can focus undisturbed for a long time.

That’s me.