Preferred method for drawing on large (15"-17") 2-in-1's?

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by CamBam1113, Jan 24, 2018.

?

Do you use one device for both mobile/casual work, or two separate devices for each purpose?

1. I use two devices

3 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. I use one device for both tasks

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. CamBam1113

CamBam1113 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi All,

I'm sure a similar type of question is already floating around out there but I'd like to know what your preferred work flow is when drawing/sketching on a large 2-in-1 laptop.

I recently purchased a Yoga 720 15" and really like having the larger screen and quad core processor with GPU, but its significantly larger than my previously owned surface pro 4, and isn't something I feel like I can use for casual sketching, like when sitting on the couch or when in bed. I do have an iPad Pro 12.9 which is excellent for sketching and conceptualizing, but when I need to get professional work done, it almost always falls short. Maybe I'm going about it the wrong way, and should use two different devices for two different purposes, but is it too much to ask to be able to do both tasks using one device?

As an example, are you using the laptop in tablet mode or display mode at a desk, and have a separate wireless keyboard for shortcuts? Do you ever pull out your laptop for casual sketching while in the airport, waiting room, etc, or is it just not worth lugging it around for that.

I would guess that there others out there with a similar question, or there are others out there that have figured out a efficient workflow for using a larger laptop for both casual and hard core drawing/design tasks.

I'd love to hear/see some examples of workflows that have been tried and true. Or, maybe there is a device that meets the requirement and isn't so much about the workflow (I'm thinking about you, ACER Switch 7...)

Thoughts?

dv8nathan likes this.
  2. dv8nathan

dv8nathan Pen Pal - Newbie

i was told many years ago that i should carry a sketchpad everywhere i go, so i feel that now i am only digital i have to find that solution for, i have 5 minutes and want to sketch something.

my favorite for drawing only was the galaxy book as the weight was right(i imagine like the ipad) battery was decent, and my favorite programs were availabe to me.

i tried tab s3, though its very portable dropbox integration became a hindurance to me. because i save everything as psd i want to know that jumping to different computers and different programs that i will have the file type and it will work and is ready where i left off

when i really need to get in the zone i have a cintiq at home that gives me buttons and shortcuts that speed up my workflow. it is on an ergotron arm which lets me possition it where i want and makes it easier posture wise.

im currently sporting samsung nb9pro 15inch quad core, and although it is a beautiful machine in itself, and drawing on it is a real pleasure, i still bring my k810 keyboard with me anyways because i flip it into tablet mode to draw. if i use it in laptop mode the screen feels to far away for me. in the end i really crave that flip open and draw feel i got from surface pro 4 and galaxy book. unfortunately surface pro 4 is ntrig is not for me and galaxy book is terrible for office style work. . soooooooooo

i think the switch 7 will give me emr in a surface form factor(surface was perfect for on the go office work) and the added benefit of TB3 for docking to cintiq at home.

3. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I don't think you're alone in this conundrum.

So far, the only 12" slate-style device capable of serious professional work is VAIO Z Canvas (which is what I currently use).

It is just small enough that I do find myself pulling it out in the airport or for quick browsing and sketching out designs/thoughts. And it lasts reasonably long on a 85-90% charge, about 3 hours of moderately demanding work before the battery hits <10%. I find that it's sufficient amount of time in between plug-ins that don't feel too tied down.

Unfortunately, it looks like VAIO has discontinued this model and the new slates all use lower voltage quadcores, which have yet to proven in terms of demanding professional workloads. Keep an eye out for the Acer Switch 7, which might both your portability and performance requirements.

4. wandrinsheep

wandrinsheep Pen Pal - Newbie

I have the Samsung notebook 9 pro. Its almost exclusively in tablet mode since I'm drawing nonstop. I use the app "TABLET PRO" for onscreen shortcuts, I couldn't work without it it makes everything easy. I use to jump between multiple apps but now I just stay in photoshop for everything. the new cc is vastly improved in the inking experience. The only thing I need is something to position the screen at an an angle as currently I use just about anything I can get my hands on to prop it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Do you use one device for both mobile/casual work, or two separate devices for each purpose?

To that I have to shake my head in horror and just gasp in terror at the very thought ....just...1 or 2 Devices.....gasp

With my workflow I bounce between 5-6 different setups. My Desktop, a Mobile Studio Pro 13-inch, a Galaxy Book 10.6, a Surface Pro 3, an Ipad Pro 9.7., and although very infrequently....even my old Asus Vivo Note 8 still gets some use.

Although I don't have any devices in the 15-17 inch range, my Mobile Studio Pro would count as the largest device....but for my workflow...9.7, 10.6, 13inch or more.....its almost irrelevant. There's nothing I work on that I can outright say requires a larger screen. I'm device flexible in that sense.

Here are the use case scenarios that determine what device I use and where.

• When I'm home and have the energy to sit up for more then 20 minutes.....my 4-Monitor Desktop rig with Cintiq 21ux.
    • When I'm home and tired as heck and just want to draw while lying down or elsewhere in the house...I use my Galaxy Book 10.6 or Ipad Pro with Pencil
    • When I'm home and tried as heck and just want to do non-drawing computer tasks while lying down or elsewhere in the house, I use my Surface Pro 3.
    • When I'm at a coffee shop and I have a good chunk of time where I know I can get into the Art zone for over an hour, I use my Mobile Studio Pro 13-inch
    • When I'm at a coffee shop and I have an undetermined amount of time where I can draw...like if I'm waiting for a call and may randomly have to bounce anywhere from 10-min to an hour,....I use my Galaxy Book 10.6, or Ipad Pro.
    • When I'm at a life drawing class (3-4hrs) and the venue does not have tables or outlets and I have to hold the device I'm sketching on.....I use my Ipad Pro (but I will usually have a 2nd device anyway as back up just in case, so the GB 10.6 will still most likely be there)
    • When I'm at a life drawing class and the venue has tables but no outlets...I use my Ipad Pro or Galaxy Book 10.6, or may alternate between them during the evening.
    • When I'm at a life drawing class and the venue has tables with easy access to power outlets (which is rare I must admit), I use my Mobile Studio Pro
    • If I'm out for the day but not sure what the day would bring as far as free time to do drawing, but provided the temperature isn't extreme hot or cold (30F-70F-ish)....I may toss my Mobile Studio Pro in the trunk of my car and leave it there for the day.
    • If I'm out for the day but not sure what the day will would bring as far as free time to do any drawing.....but its extremely hot outside (90F) or insanely cold outside (10F).....I would toss my Galaxy Book, Surface Pro 3, or Ipad Pro in my trunk since those are technically more expendable then the Mobile Studio should extended Trunk time temperatures pose an concern. And if I'm really feeling uncomfortable leaving my devices in the car, the smaller size and weight of the GB 10.6 and Ipad Pro make them easier to take with me outside of the car for the day.
    • If I'm traveling away from home for a few days or longer.....and....for whatever reason I'm expecting to draw....alot.....I may bring my Mobile Studio Pro, but more likely I would bring the Galaxy Book 10.6.....or quite possibly both
    • If I'm traveling internationally.....usually for my 2-3 week country hopping endurance trials where I don't typically do much art...more so photo editing and backing up.....I will either bring my Galaxy Book 10.6 or Surface Pro 3. I also might bring an secondary back up device....either my iPad Pro.....or more likely the Asus VivoNote 8 since thats the smallest size Non-phone device I have and takes up little space.
    • If I'm at a family gathering for a Birthday or Holidays, and my aunts/relatives want to see my travel pics.....I pass around the Asus Note 8.

If I had to say....which of my devices was the most versatile...and the clear Jack of all the trades......that would go to my Galaxy Book 10.6. Its size allows it to be used in really any of the above scenarios, the keyboard makes it sufficient for non-drawing tasks, the S-pen makes it great for drawing, the Battery life can make it last for over an entire life drawing class, and it has a full OS, so I can do more complex work on it that the ipad is just unsuited for, and of course....I can move files around easily and hassle free.....unlike the ipad.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
    dv8nathan and Marty like this.
  6. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

LOL I just picture you going to a coffeeshop now with 5 devices thrown in a backpack for every occasion and circumstance you may find yourself in.
    You gotta be filthy rich to support your "workflow" preferences! :p:cool:

7. stoneseeker

I work daily on my desktop and Cintiq 22HDT.
    If I'm travelling but have actual work to do, my T902 comes with me.
    If I'm travelling but just want a device for drawing casually, light design work and other internet life stuff, I just bring my NotePro tablet.
    If I'm just out and about and I get hit with the urge to jot a sketch down, I always have my Note Edge phone to scribble on!

and today I used a Pentel brush pen and sketchbook to figure out the rough design of an environment before snapping a photo of it and moving to photoshop CC on my desktop! I find that sometimes working within the limitations of a sketchbook to fuel your design can help when your in the really early stages and just looking for shapes and interesting elements.

8. Fluffyfurball

Fluffyfurball Scribbler - Standard Member

I just use one device now: multiple devices were driving me up a wall. I admit to having thoughts about that new e-ink Boox Max 2, though.

9. stoneseeker

I recall that the P50 and P70 had optional FHD touch screens that could use a Wacom AES digitizer, so the P51 and P71 do too? Its so weird that there is literally ZERO mention of that option on their website for those machines. I feel like your one of the only people who know about it and use it for this purpose. Do you flip the screen flat, or draw overtop of the keyboard with something supporting the screen from behind?

10. Fluffyfurball

Fluffyfurball Scribbler - Standard Member

Hey stone, only the P50/P51 has the AES digitizer option: the P70 with the digitizer option was quietly discontinued because of screen quality issues which Lenovo was unable to fix. The P71 doesn't offer the digitizer screen because of this, I presume.

The screen can fold flat, so I flip the screen to reverse landscape when I am at a desk. That said, I've grown accustomed to using the screen over the keyboard as well. The hinges on the Thinkpad are very stiff, so it's not necessary to support the screen from behind. The digitizer screen is kind of dim on this machine, but I can live with it.

The digitzer itself works more reliably than the Dell 7568 that I have and better than the Surface Pro 3.