Powerpoint Presenter mode, on tablet, for teaching

Discussion in 'Software' started by dbrn, Jun 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dbrn

dbrn Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi folks,

I have an Asus EP121 but am looking for a cheap, small, light (7" range) tablet for a specific purpose that should be simple, but is proving complicated.

I work in a university where every classroom has a projector and teachers plug their latptops into patch-boards to project powerpoint (with sound) for lectures. My goal is to plug a Win 7 laptop into the projector and then control the powerpoint through my tablet using Powerpoint presenter mode. So I need three separate things:
    - ability to link the tablet and pc wirelessly with enough range that I can walk around a normal sized-classroom while speaking
    - tablet that will run some version of Powerpoint
    - same tablet must let me treat the PC as a second monitor (so that PP lets me run presenter mode)

I'm open to any combination of hardware/software for this, including any apps anyone can suggest, but my strong personal bias is to stay away from ipads and/or Mac laptops. I think this limits me to Android tablets, but can't seem to find any appropriate apps. But is the ipad mini even an option to control a PC laptop?

And, since this is the only purpose for this tablet, I'm not looking at the Surface Pro or other full Windows tablets right now - too expensive. I think I could use Avatron's Air Display to link my EP121 with a laptop, but it's big and heavy for holding while walking around a classroom. Something 7" would be ideal.

Does anyone have any suggestions, or am I just stuck until Microsoft releases an Office for Android?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Why do you need a second computer in the middle? Why not use Miracast to project wirelessly from a tablet (such as a Surface 2, a Dell Venue 8, or something like that)?

Or another option would be a Windows Phone with Office Remote to control the PC. It's not quite the same as Presenter Mode but it has most of the same features.

3. dbrn

I had never heard of Miracast. Very interesting, thanks jhoff! But at first glance this seems to either extend or mirror the tablet onto the projector, not create a second display. From my understanding, I therefore wouldn't be able to use Presenter Mode, but would have to have the full slideshow running right on the tablet. Is that right?

I don't currently have a cell phone or want one, but, anyway, a cell phone screen would be too small for what I really want. I need more notes on the tablet, and in bigger font, than that would allow.

EDIT: Sorry, I'm reading now that Miracast does explicitly allow Presenter mode. Sounds perfect! Now I just have to decide if I'm ready to risk going Win 8 on my EP121, which is a little outdated...

Thanks again!!

Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
  4. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Yeah, Powerpoint overrides whatever dual-monitor settings you're using to switch it into an extended desktop where one window is the presentation and the other is the Presenter view, even if you're using Miracast for that second monitor.

Although now that I think about it, what type of connection the projector has might be an issue too. I'm not 100% sure if there are any Miracast receivers with a VGA out.

5. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

This is exactly how I teach, using Miracast with my tablet, inking directly to the slides....it allows me to walk around the classroom....

6. solitaire01

solitaire01 Pen Pal - Newbie

Would you consider patching in a simple Miracast hdmi adapter instead and extending a second desktop screen to it, rather than a laptop?

Edit: Doh, didn't see all the responses already. Count me in as another supporter of this approach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. dbrn

You hit the nail on the head. Turns out most of our rooms only connect through VGA (and audio cable), though a few have HDMI. Has anyone out there tried plugging a Miracast adapter into a HDMI to VGA/Audio splitter? I worry that would prove too much...

I also realized again that walking around with my EP121 is not ideal because it's so heavy. I still think I'd like a 7" tablet option, but so far that doesn't seem to be an option, based on people's feedback.

8. dbrn

Interesting. So you find the Pro 2 light enough to carry around and can ink on it while standing and holding it? Or do you put it down on a podium to ink on it? Also, if you're inking on slides, is your Pro 2 in Presenter Mode or Slideshow mode?

9. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

I've done both, I prefer to use my Surface 2 personally for this - I'm ditching both for a SP3 currently....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.