Powering Off (or rather it's not)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by GiGo, Dec 6, 2015.

1. GiGo

GiGo Pen Pal - Newbie

A month ago my SP3 i7 started suffering from the yellow hazing issue on the screen, so a quick chat with MS they agreed to send me out a new SP3 :) happy days :)

After having received 3 replacements in as many weeks, one being an enterprise version (as MS explained my system image won't go on to it) and the 2nd came a with a dead pixel , my 3rd was perfect, or so I thought!

It appears that my SP3 won't shutdown correctly. Start > Power > Shut Down. It logs off and then the screen goes black. Now if I have the keyboard plugged in you can see the back light still on and to power off the SP3 I need to push and hold the power button for 13 seconds. If the keyboard isn't plugged in you wouldn't know the SP3 is on, very bad when it gets put in my bag and starts over heating!

I've contact MS support about the issue and they told me to do a reset by downloading the USB image etc.... which I have done and it still hasn't worked :(

Has anyone else got any suggestions or experience the same issue and if they have how have they solved it?

2. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hold down the power button for about ten seconds and it should shut off.

Before turning it back on you can also hold down power and volume down for about 15 sec to boot into UEFI. Don't do anything on that screen and exit. It's just a good way to verify that your SP3 has actually power cycled.

3. GiGo

GiGo Pen Pal - Newbie

Cheers for the reply, MS support told me to this too, but it hadn't solved the issue :(