Powerful Chrome OS tablet with EMR and USB 3.1 for $329? Yes please!

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by Shogmaster, Mar 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zhao Su

Zhao Su Zee Ess

LOL, TVPaint Android has been sitting in my Kindle Fire HD8 because I'm unable to do anything with it on that machine and my Note 4 died. I've always wanted to try out animation on a portable device, and the closest I've come to that was using Sketchbook's onion-skinning on Windows on my Toshiba Encore 2 Write, which was nice but still felt limited. Done a very short animated skit with Procreate and LumaTouch and frankly it's been a pain-in-the-ass in that kind of workflow, so whenever I get the Tab10 or the Galaxy Note 9 (whichever I can get first), I'll be itching to try out a full-fledged animation app.

artistebot and Shogmaster like this.
  2. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Excellent - and disturbing - observation. I don't recall Acer having a history with vaporware, and other than the attractive price point, nothing about this product appears to be difficult to achieve technically, which the Switch 7 was/is. Here's to hoping your concern proves unwarranted! If they delay this indefinitely, they should be tarred and feathered in the public square! :eek::D

ArashA likes this.
  3. ArashA

ArashA Pen Pal - Newbie

Maybe this would be a sign that it will be available to order VERY soon

4. lovelaptops

Fine job, @ArashA . I really had little doubt, but yes, this lowered the fraction to even smaller doubt. I do wish this device had a stronger cpu but otherwise it sounds like a great device for the money. Amazing how Android via chromeos has greatly increased the value proposition of Android tablets, with Wacom EMR digitizer making it close to home run category. From what I've been reading, the best is yet to come in this arena. By the way, welcome to the forum; you've already made a great contribution!

ArashA and artistebot like this.
  5. kneehowguys

kneehowguys Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

This vs galaxy book 10.6 from last year- what do you think? If exclude price as a factor

6. lovelaptops

The obvious: Android, not Windows. Also, fairly weak SOC (ROCKCHIP, benchmarks well below Snapdragon 835)

Still, for portable sketchpad, may be pretty good. (Others have told me the Android art apps have gotten pretty good; me no artist)

Starlight5 likes this.
  7. artistebot

artistebot Scribbler - Standard Member

Chrome vs Windows...yikes!

Both devices can do roughly the same thing.....roughly.

Without some information concerning expectations and needs any answer you get will be mostly biased....so here is mine.

IMHO, In general terms:

Acer may be simpler to use, and often more convenient for many tasks because of the streamlined Chrome interface. Application choices will be more limited, performance (subjective!) will likely be less.

GB 10.1 , depending upon your needs, might offer more depth and personalization....it is running a Full desktop OS after all. Being windows, it might be overly complex and unintuitive at times, since jamming a full desktop OS into a small device presents challenges, keep the keyboard handy.

For me I would use the Acer as a on-the-go digital sketchbook, that I could comfortably use anywhere, car, train, standing, skiing (yeh, I used my Tab S3 for that once..). The GB, I would only use when sitting for an extended period of time at a table, desk etc...

I would not buy the Acer, being the first Chrome tablet I would be concerned about being a extended beta tester for chrome/hardware. Since my interest is in running Android apps, the chrome part might be awkward. It does not cost much less than the Tab A 10.1 or Tab S3, both being full android devices, and much more mature.

I almost bought the GB 12 as having a portable device that runs Photoshop could be handy at times.

ArashA and lovelaptops like this.
  8. ArashA

ArashA Pen Pal - Newbie

9. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

10. kneehowguys

kneehowguys Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Now that the Surface Go is out, do any of you still prefer a penabled chrome tablet to full windows?

Oh right, android apps.

Maybe chrome tablet is better for playing/drawing and Surface Go is for students

Imagine if when they busted out windows 8 if they had an app / touch experience better than android/ios? And if they released it sooner? Then they would not be so boned now in terms of their app store and Microsoft would be stomping their competitors dead. We never wanted a collage of variously sized rectangles collage style ala windows 8. We wanted the options to see apps on a grid (like every single phone and tablet) at the push of a button/swipe.

I wonder if it ends up as a race.
    1. Chrome OS trying to fill in its weaknesses for desktop use.
    2. Windows trying to fill in its weakness for app availability.

Second one seems easier to deal with. Plus windows dominance in gaming/business use seems to give them an edge. But looking at the current windows store, looks like a slow crawl.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018