Powerful Chrome OS tablet with EMR and USB 3.1 for $329? Yes please!

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by Shogmaster, Mar 26, 2018.

1. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I appreciate some slight exaggeration to prove a point but come on... Creative Stylus was better at pressure than a Wacom EMR pen?!? Get outta here... If you had a broken M400 pen maybe lol.

Anyways, even if BT allows for transmission of pressure data perfectly, which at least it does more than acceptably by looking at Apple Pencil, it's still use of unnecessary means since pro cap does it perfectly as well. My whole point is that it's additional complexity for the sake of complexity for no good reason. I'm looking for some good reason for doing it with BT other than "it works fine". Something that would give Apple an edge for doing so.

artistebot likes this.
  2. Shogmaster

OK, I'm so dumb... There is one very obvious reason for doing it via BT... to prevent 3rd party knock offs. Duh~ If it just goes through pro cap, it's much easier for a Chinese ODM to knock off the Pencil, especially in Chinese market. The BT pairing acts as a security layer.

artistebot likes this.
  3. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

I love the fact that every time we get back to this argument (ipad styluses or apple pencil) I actually had them and had plenty of experience with them while you didn't, but for some reasons you expect to know better. ;)

4. Shogmaster

I have used the Creative's active stylus, and the Wacom's one for iPads, and all the others. I'm not pulling it out of my ass here. They might be acceptable to some in pressure curve (not for me. They usually had too much bias towards one end of other with terrible IAF most of them fighting the rubber nipples). I had M400 before. That pen experience is same as all other Wacom UD EMR pens. You are trying to tell me that those stylus felt better than UD EMR then I have to call you out on youor BS.

I'm gonna give you the benefit of the doubt that your M400 was broken in digitizer or pen. That's the best I can do for you on that statement.

5. Azzart

I had two of them.

6. Shogmaster

1. Were they the only Wacom UD device you owned?
    2. Did you use the same pen on both?
    3. Were the devices new?
    4. Was the pen new?
    5. Have you owned another Wacom UD device since?
    6. If so how does it/do they compare to M400?

WillAdams likes this.
  7. Azzart

I had a Graphire first gen before the M400.
    Both M400 used with their standard pen.
    Then I got a Cintiq Companion. Obviously this last one was like something from the heavens compared to those other devices.

8. Shogmaster

I think you are conflating pen's pressure curve with computer power. Computer's power along with software you are using on it greatly affects pen's overall feel but you can still discern the pressure curve from all that if you are careful in your testing. At the end of the day, UD load sensor and digitizers haven't changed since Art Z to Dell Canvas except for the IAF (3 to 1 gram). Hell, now days, the pressure curve on UD devices and Cintiqs are the same as well, with the same 1gram IAF load sensor on both!

Using Photoshop on M400 vs using Photoshop on Cintiq Companion is vastly different experience due to progress of the CPU and Photoshop's brush engine (CS3 vs CC). But for the pen, nothing has really changed except for IAF. And since we all know that 3rd party iPad active pens have way worse IAF than 3 grams (LOLZ), the notion that Creative active stylus for iPad had better pressure curve than the UD pen in M400 is laughable. You might as well say that the pressure curve of the Creative active stylus is better than pressure curve on Cintiqs...

9. Azzart

I forgot the Asus Vivotab Note 8.
    Honestly, I don't know how you can't feel the difference between the 256 levels of the M400 and the 2048 from the Cintiq. It's just night and day trying to have a smooth and controlled transition from thin to thick.

10. Shogmaster

What you are feeling isn't the amount of pressure level difference. What you are feeling is the difference in computer processing power and software's brush engine.

Don't make me go into the whole pressure level quantity thing again. I don't have the time lol.

artistebot likes this.